Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Recent REJECTIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Rejected for color, appealed, rejected for color again :-( They claim a yellow overcast? I know the back of a lot of these United planes are dirty and oily, but is there an overcast?
    Just try pushing the color balance from yellow to blue a few steps, or make your WB a little colder if you're shooting RAW.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

I am surprised this got rejected for sharpness. Where is it not sharp?

Any insight?
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Just try pushing the color balance from yellow to blue a few steps, or make your WB a little colder if you're shooting RAW.
    Well, the point was I didn't think it had an overcast of any kind.. I always shoot RAW and even when I get it wrong in camera, I usually WB off white surfaces or gray ones and well, in this case, you can test it.. .the whites on my end look white... looked at them in four separate calibrated monitors, including an old Trinitron CRT at work LOL. So ou think / actually see a yellow overcast?

Whats more, this is part of the SAME SET as the Virgin Atlantic that got accepted and SAME WB same exact because I copied it even LOL... oh well. I am not sweating it too much :-)

thanks for your input Cary.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    I am surprised this got rejected for sharpness. Where is it not sharp?

Any insight?
    Do you have a larger version of it online we can take a look at? hard to tell at this size.
    Manny Gonzalez

A little bitter about these 2, Dark for the only reason

http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Well, the point was I didn't think it had an overcast of any kind.. I always shoot RAW and even when I get it wrong in camera, I usually WB off white surfaces or gray ones and well, in this case, you can test it.. .the whites on my end look white... looked at them in four separate calibrated monitors, including an old Trinitron CRT at work LOL. So ou think / actually see a yellow overcast?

Whats more, this is part of the SAME SET as the Virgin Atlantic that got accepted and SAME WB same exact because I copied it even LOL... oh well. I am not sweating it too much :-)

thanks for your input Cary.
    I see a tiny bit of yellow cast on my Spyder3Elite-calibrated monitor, but it could just be from the time of day. I've had my issues with A.net over color, but I stopped pursuing it, and instead just change the color to make them happy. The worst is when you see a bunch of other accepted photos that have color anomalies that are most likely due to severe post-processing, and photos from different photographers that are of the same scene, but have completely different color intents (and not just because of Nikon/Canon differences). I never change color/saturation for my airplane photos, other than occasionally doing an Auto Contrast or slight Curves adjust.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I see a tiny bit of yellow cast on my Spyder3Elite-calibrated monitor, but it could just be from the time of day. I've had my issues with A.net over color, but I stopped pursuing it, and instead just change the color to make them happy. The worst is when you see a bunch of other accepted photos that have color anomalies that are most likely due to severe post-processing, and photos from different photographers that are of the same scene, but have completely different color intents (and not just because of Nikon/Canon differences). I never change color/saturation for my airplane photos, other than occasionally doing an Auto Contrast or slight Curves adjust.
    Same here same here. I think it may be (just maybe) that the one I copied from had the yellows boosted to increase the saturation of the fall grass (which is more yellow than green actualy) BUT, I am puzzled because that SET did not include anything more than 31R arrivals... not much grass there LOL... I use Color Munki lately on my Apple Cinema 30" which is my current new monitor. I actually find it a slightly warm hue to my eyes... I have an HP 30" panel next to it UNCALIBRATED which is slightly cooler and I usually show FULL SCREEN version on left screen and editing controls on Apple Cinema (Lightroom preset) and compare the two.

I will pay more attention but I would like to know what A.NET usues as a mechanical gauge as opposed to subjective analysis as two monitors, even CALIBRATED could look slightly different. I think also maybe my Apple monitor missing brightness contrast controls lacks the brightness I may need to better judge ..

Like you, I HATE messing with HUE and saturation controls and mostly relying on White Balance corrections in RAW module and a slight saturation boost using camera centric VIVID or LANDSCAPE presets...

Guess I have a lot to learn. I am so puzzled by this United 757 because two planes earlier the Virgin 747 was processed identically and I had been copying the settings as the exposures, daylight, time etc. were so close/similar ...

Thanks for your expertise and advice as always.
    Manny Gonzalez

Brandon, the do look dark to me here :-( slightly... try Shadow/Highlight to see a difference... however that's dangerous as it can show up quickly on an Equalize (shows as a halo) and I think A.NET does a zoom to 400% to spot grain, JPEG compression etc and then a Equalize to spot dust, halos etc. as a default action during screening and will reject immediately without further scrutiny ... just too much volume for them to be more relaxed...
    Manny Gonzalez

Rejected for "Blocked Main Gear" and once again, "Yellow Cast" lol. The yellow cast I am thinking I know what's causing it... but the blocked main gear was absolutely on purpose! lol. Are there no shots that play a bit like this in the database?

Manny Gonzalez

...but the blocked main gear was absolutely on purpose! lol. Are there no shots that play a bit like this in the database?
    Sorry, if you want a "creative" shot, you need to do something really "out there", like a photograph of a shadow on a field, or cows maybe...

Here they are again as I attempted to visually remove YELLOW casting... but I fear while the United Whites are whiter, there now seems to be a blue cast. And the Southwest looks too red.
    REJECT

CORRECTED

REJECT

CORRECTED
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-12-20 at 10:37 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Here are some quick edits I came up with. For the United shot, I simply used the eyedropper to set the white balance against the white part of the a/c. For the Southwest shot, it looks blatantly oversaturated, to the point that grain came out, especially noticeable in the darker areas of the fuselage. I toned the saturation down for that one, and gave it a pass of Noise Ninja.

Thanks for all your hep guys and for our valuable advice!!
    Manny Gonzalez

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Brandon, the do look dark to me here
    They are borderline if they were of a little more of rare airframe they may have a shot on appeal but Manny's advice may get them in.

Same here same here. I think it may be (just maybe) that the one I copied from had the yellows boosted to increase the saturation of the fall grass (which is more yellow than green actualy) BUT, I am puzzled because that SET did not include anything more than 31R arrivals... not much grass there LOL... I use Color Munki lately on my Apple Cinema 30" which is my current new monitor. I actually find it a slightly warm hue to my eyes... I have an HP 30" panel next to it UNCALIBRATED which is slightly cooler and I usually show FULL SCREEN version on left screen and editing controls on Apple Cinema (Lightroom preset) and compare the two
    Manny what you set your WB too? I set mine to sunny and warm it just a little maybe -2 at most and I never get any color issues with anet.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Guys, I must say I feel totally stupid. I now know why my recent postings were rejected. OMG what a horror... yes, I see it now... wanna know what the problem was? This is embarrassing. I have my ICC profiles set to expire every month.. and I had deleted the old one meaning to install a fresh calibration and must not have done it because today being exactly one month later, I recalibrated and the calibration is usually SLIGHTLY off as expected. This time it was WAAAAY off and it told me I was in trouble! I can;t believe I edited so many photos with the wrong profile (NO PROFILE) installed :-(

Anyhow, thanks again for the help. No wonder my edits on my MacBook Pro came out correctly as opposed to the originals on my main PC. UGH I feel like an ass.

Nick, I usually preset my WB using a white or gray patch somewhere near the shooting location. In the absence of that I usually pick SUNNY for daylight full sun, cloudy for overcast and shade for open shade. What I really want to do is use my Color Checker Passport LOL but I can't find a way to hold it up against a 747 flying past Panera :-) I tried using it from holding it in front of me and apparently the WB at the landing altitude is a lot different than at ground level.
    Manny Gonzalez