(formerly Holiday Inn)

160 Frontage Road, Newark, NJ

Admission $10.00
    Children under 12 FREE
    Free Parking

www.newarkairlineshow.com

Believe It!

Thanks for the reminder Braniff

Maybe this year I'll be able to find some piece of memorabilia from Highland Express

The one thing I hate about this event is the location of the hotel. If you don't have a car getting out there is a pain in the butt, unless you're willing to spend $24 on a round trip ticket with NJ transit.

But I do look forward to stocking up on JustPlanes dvd's and the occasional odd find. This may sound weird but I really get a kick out of buying old issues of Airways or Airliners magazines....
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

that doesn't sound wierd at all...Airliners was an excellent magazine, I had a subscription to them once.

Megatop412, why Highland Express and what are you looking for?

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Megatop412, why Highland Express and what are you looking for?

AJ
    I consider Highland Express and its sole 747 G-HIHO the "Highlander" to be the equivalent of the Holy Grail as far as commercial aviation memorabilia goes. To me it was the classiest paint job ever sprayed on a jumbo jet. I still have the article I tore out of the NY Post in the mid-80's that talked about Randolph Fields and his new airline introducing transatlantic services in and out of Newark. Yes they were a flop, but if you want to talk rare in our circles, it pretty much takes the cake. It would be awesome to have anything, a model, sticker, or even a postcard, of the ill-fated Highlander.

Ironically, while looking for something Highland-related at last year's show, a gentleman standing next to me who overheard me asking about them said "Highland Express? I remember them from when I used to work at Newark. They didn't stand a chance competing with Continental."

I agree, it was a great color scheme.

I remember going on the aircraft soon after they started, the crew told me they were "Chock a Block" (full) for the summer but obviously that soon died down.

There is a flight schedule from 5/87 with your name on it if you are interested, a tri-fold pamphlet.

I'll post some pictures later if you want. If you're interested, let me know how to get it to you, I will try to get to the Newark show.

AJ

I would love to have that sched if you're willing to part with it

I can meet you at the Newark show, or if that doesn't work out, I'll PM you my address- either works for me- thanks so much AJ!

You got it.

Here are some images;

I will try to get to the Newark show.

AJ

Good thing I got there early, they had a box in the corner with around 50 old issues of Airliners magazine from the 1990's. Practically cleaned them out but then had to lug all that home
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Always learning something new. I never heard of Highland Express but the plane looks great. Sorry I never saw it. Did they only fly 1 B747? Did it fly to Aberdeen? It brings to mind the beautiful British Caledonian which flew to JFK in the good old days; I think Laker was still flying. BrCal was a D10 then it was replaced by a B744. Sadly, it couldn't compete with BA, so it bit the dust. I miss it. I did travel out to EWR long ago to see the People Express B744 which flew to London. I took lots of Kodacolors, when I locate them, I'll post. Hope you got the memorabilia you were looking for. I spent the day at LGA.

It was another good show!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Always learning something new. I never heard of Highland Express but the plane looks great. Sorry I never saw it. Did they only fly 1 B747? Did it fly to Aberdeen? It brings to mind the beautiful British Caledonian which flew to JFK in the good old days; I think Laker was still flying. BrCal was a D10 then it was replaced by a B744. Sadly, it couldn't compete with BA, so it bit the dust. I miss it. I did travel out to EWR long ago to see the People Express B744 which flew to London. I took lots of Kodacolors, when I locate them, I'll post. Hope you got the memorabilia you were looking for. I spent the day at LGA.
    Yes they only had the one 747, and it flew between Glasgow and Newark, I guess it also made some rounds to London and Birmingham based on the picture AJ supplied above but I didn't know that. They were only around for a few months before the jet was repossessed by the lessor. I think they were in a race with Aeroflot's Tu-144 for the shortest length of revenue service before being withdrawn haha.

I combed through several bins of postcards and photos yesterday and didn't see anything Highland related. However I did manage to score an old 3-D postcard from North Korea with a photo of a Tu-154 flying over the mountains, the AW&ST issue that detailed the end of Pan Am, and a couple other items. Had to be careful with the money this year so no new t-shirt or DVD.

Also managed to talk to Art Brett for a few minutes. Great guy, with some incredible photography of all kinds of carriers going in and out of JFK that I never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    ...the AW&ST issue that detailed the end of Pan Am...
    I've been going through boxes of "stuff" after the move, and just last night came across that very issue.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Also managed to talk to Art Brett for a few minutes. Great guy, with some incredible photography of all kinds of carriers going in and out of JFK that I never heard of.
    Art is a treasure - great photographer, has seen almost everything, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. And I say that even though he shoots Nikon... :-)

The name Art Brett rings a bell with me. I probably saw him in the 90's while shooting photos near JFK and never spoke to him. I think he published some great photos for aviation mags maybe back in the 90's. Sad the collectibles how coincided with Kids Day.