Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Planefinder.net JFK data

Planefinder.net JFK data

As most of you probably know, planefinder.net is awesome for us spotters. When their local antenna near JFK is operational, we can see high level detail, down to aircraft taxiing around the field. But more often than not, this high level detail is not available at JFK.
    Well, I am working with PF.net to fix this. Within the next few weeks, I should have all of the equipment necessary to pick up the ADS-B signals and upload to the site. I already have the antenna, and I am just waiting on the receiver. Barring any unforeseen issues such as a weak signal, the high-level data should be up 24x7x365 from my house.
    I will post an update when everything is operational.

This will be my gift to all the NYCAers who helped change me from a cell-phone camera toting idiot, to a DSLR 300mm lens equipped spotter.
    Last edited by yankees368; 2012-07-16 at 05:11 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Sweet. We've wanted to do this for years but haven't had the proper real estate to pull it off.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Hopefully my real estate is close enough that we are able to get high-level data. Time will tell!

I think the main issue is line of sight, not so much distance. As long as you can stick the antenna on your roof with a 360 degree view of the sky you should be fine.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Right now, the plan is to work my way up to that. Start with the antenna indoors by the computer, and if that doesn't work, up to the attic, and then last resort on the roof. Should be interesting.

Jamaica, New York, United States, 111046035586548, Jamaica, New York
    Jason, that is a great gift to planespotters around the world.

Looking forward to it, and if it doesn't work out, don't even think about posting here again. LOL

David

Indoors probably won't accomplish anything at all, honestly. I wouldn't even waste trying.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have nothing to lose by trying. Sticking the antenna next to a window facing JFK should at minimum provide coverage at the field. If not, I will have to work on mounting it to the roof.

That would only get communication AT JFK, not stuff in other directions. As I understand it, even putting it on the side of your chimney is no good because the side of the antenna that the chimney is attached to receives no signal through the chimney. So in that example it would need to be placed on top of the chimney.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Guys, a little primer on RF. While it is BEST to have a 360 degree unobstructed view of the sky as high as possible, it is not nearly as important as having a receiver and ANY antenna AT ALL

I feed the La Guardia Tower for LiveATC.net. You will be very surprised to hear it is using a dipole screw-on antenna on the back of the radio (Radio Shack scanner, old one, crappy one) at a height of 22 stories in Washington Heights, a few miles (about 8 miles?) from LGA tower. Indoors no less, in an OLD building (1920s) with super thick walls.

Anyhow, he will be fine and will get great reception and likely will be more limited by transmission line loss than actual signal sensitivity at the radiator (or in this case the receiver)

Planes in the air transmit with down-facing antennas, semi-directional and pretty high power (sometimes 25 watts) which incredibly, will get you very far.

N2MAV
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Guys, a little primer on RF. While it is BEST to have a 360 degree unobstructed view of the sky as high as possible, it is not nearly as important as having a receiver and ANY antenna AT ALL

I feed the La Guardia Tower for LiveATC.net. You will be very surprised to hear it is using a dipole screw-on antenna on the back of the radio (Radio Shack scanner, old one, crappy one) at a height of 22 stories in Washington Heights, a few miles (about 8 miles?) from LGA tower. Indoors no less, in an OLD building (1920s) with super thick walls.

Anyhow, he will be fine and will get great reception and likely will be more limited by transmission line loss than actual signal sensitivity at the radiator (or in this case the receiver)

Planes in the air transmit with down-facing antennas, semi-directional and pretty high power (sometimes 25 watts) which incredibly, will get you very far.

N2MAV
    Let's just hope the signal is stronger than my Verizon Wireless phone signal at home.

Verizon has one or two antennas [near] you.

ADS-B has unlimited number of antennae at infinite distances from you. with far greater power than allowed to Cell service.
    Manny Gonzalez

The antenna is tuned specifically for the 1000mhz signal of the transponder, so I really don't think that having it inside will be an issue. Although 1090mhz is a bit high, it's still lower than the 1900mhz signal Verizon uses, and much lower than 2100 that T-Mobile uses.
    Especially if they transmit at a higher power than cell antennas (they do), I shouldn't have an issue.

Like I said, you will pick up stuff... mainly near the fiof course... I think the "network" works best when there is reception and data fed from ALL OVER the place. Being near the field will report accurately what's here and what's near here...
    Manny Gonzalez

Jason.......hat's off to you and thank you!!! I think everything will work out fine and all spotters will be very greatful.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet