Thread: JFK This Sunday (2/20)

JFK This Sunday (2/20)

Hi, all.

I've never been able to get HoBe shots. Every time I head out there, they change runways just as I arrive, or law enforcement gives me a hard time.

I'm going to try my luck again on Sunday if they're on 31L. I'll be arriving at HoBe around 8:30AM. If they're on the 4s, I'll head to North Woodmere Park for departures. If they're on the 22s, I'll try Bayswater and if that's closed, I'll go to Woodmere for arrivals.

Look forward to seeing some people out and about!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Good luck Tis. I know last weekend (at least on saturday) Bayswater was closed and they had some construction equipment inside the gate.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Well, all I can say is the weather was poor all weekend last week and now this week, while I am stuck at work, perfectly blue skies!! :-(
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I hear ya Manny! I've been looking outside my office all week asking myself why it couldn't have been like this last Saturday!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

IT KILLS ME!!!! All I want to do is go spotting... my mind does not see blue skies, it sees nice light on an Airbus or Boeing LOL
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Well, all I can say is the weather was poor all weekend last week and now this week, while I am stuck at work, perfectly blue skies!! :-(
    Man, I'm with you, stuck here at the office and all I can do is look in my camera system and watch the blue skies Looks like the blue skies are not my friend what so ever these days, I'm driving to Toronto tonight and looked at the forecast for the upcoming days and I might get lucky only 1 day to do some spotting there ( which I'm itching to ) but still a 50/50 ... Grrrrrr ... I shall see !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

This is why California and Las Vegas and Miami/Fort Lauderdale are great for spotting... likely 90% of the year they can get reasonable to great weather... we get maybe 50% of the year.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Good luck Tis. I know last weekend (at least on saturday) Bayswater was closed and they had some construction equipment inside the gate.
    Interesting. Hopefully all will be well on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    It's driving me crazy. The last two days have been phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush6NY View Post
    Man, I'm with you, stuck here at the office and all I can do is look in my camera system and watch the blue skies
    And that's why I never bring my gear to work. I would leave every day to go out and shoot somewhere.

Any of you planning to come out on Sunday?

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Last I checked we had sun lined up for the week and then clouds for the weekend(again). At least here in Philly.

That's OK, as long as the weekend after this one (and the Monday attached to it) when I come up there are at worst partly cloudy. You all know what the 28th is supposed to bring.

Originally Posted by ANITIX87
    And that's why I never bring my gear to work. I would leave every day to go out and shoot somewhere.

TIS .. I didn't mean my camera gear .. I'm at my desk at work and I have the security monitor next to me that has 2 cameras for outside ! LOL ....
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2011-02-16 at 06:09 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Forecast looks OK. Will be arriving at JFK around 8:30. Heading to HoBe first, and hoping they stay on the 31s again tomorrow like they did all day today.

Looking forward to meeting some people. I'll only be out until about 10AM, as I have other photography-related plans in the city (spotting is like an appetizer tomorrow!).

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

NLovis
    Nope. Stuck at work till tomorrow morning. Camera keeps blurring my night shots as of late. Am not happy.

Nick, is not the camera it's the fact that you are not holding steady and slow shutters don;t mix well. Take my advice and buy the cheap window mount. Or at the very least learn to sandwich the camera and lens between the window and the frame of the van... anything to hold it steady but you must NOT hand hold below 1/250th sec. at 100mm fl or longer.
    Manny Gonzalez