Thread: Royal Wedding Flypast

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Royal Wedding Flypast

so since i was forced to watch the royal wedding this morning i got to watch the flyover of buckingham palace. anyone know where the Lancaster came from? as far as i know there are only 1 or 2 left flying.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane are all from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire.

[Edit]Here is their website http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/ [/Edit]
    Last edited by MarkLawrence; 2011-04-29 at 11:59 AM.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    anyone know where the Lancaster came from? as far as i know there are only 1 or 2 left flying.
    Yes, there are two still flying. One in Canada (which has been to the Airpower Museum a couple of times) and the one in England, which Mark referenced.

I was waiting for the Concorde, but I guess they are saving that for the Olympics next year...

For those who missed it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13241812

Greetings from the UK. The BBC had 4 HD cameras inside the Lancaster, and tried to broadcast live from it in the run in towards the palace, but encountered some technical probs. Hopefully they'll put the inflight footage up on their website over the coming day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    One in Canada (which has been to the Airpower Museum a couple of times)
    got to get up close and personal with her one night a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    Greetings from the UK. The BBC had 4 HD cameras inside the Lancaster, and tried to broadcast live from it in the run in towards the palace, but encountered some technical probs. Hopefully they'll put the inflight footage up on their website over the coming day or so.
    i saw portions of that video inflight, definitely would've loved to be there to experience it in person. what i love about piston a/c flypasts is being able to hear the engines. jet just aren't dramatic enough.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    ABC-TV here in NY had the clip from inside the Lanc. The camera was looking forward from the back of the cockpit to the front. On the back of the helmet of the crewman nearest the camera was printed "Congrats on the Wedding from all of us at the BBMF" ....or something of some sorts like that.

There was also an RAF jet flyby when they were on the balcony. From what I researched they were Tornadoes and Typhoons (2 each). And when they left in the Aston Martin an RAF Search and Rescue helicopter, a yellow Sea King, flew past with a flag (?) hanging underneath. In case you didnt know Prince William is an RAF SAR pilot stationed in the North. His crew mates had been planning this from last year.
    And finally in the aviation vein, the Queen and her husband apparently decided they had enough and boarded the S76C++ of The Queens Helicopter Flight (G-XXEB) on the grounds of Buckingham Palace and headed to their northern estate.
    BTW Prince Harry is training to be an Apache pilot.

OMG, that footage from inside the bomber, the shot from the gunner positions, oh!! What can I say, I climaxed LOLOL. Sorry if I was not supposed to say that here...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    OMG, that footage from inside the bomber, the shot from the gunner positions, oh!! What can I say, I climaxed LOLOL. Sorry if I was not supposed to say that here...
    Dude.......

Fly-by was nice but I still miss the Concorde.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Fly-by was nice but I still miss the Concorde.
    we know... you've said it about 985,654,642,318,405,064,099 times already...

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    we know... you've said it about 985,654,642,318,405,064,099 times already...
    LMFAO!!!!!

The Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane completely stole the show. The Typhons and Tornados were boring compared.