Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: KCLT - Charlotte/Douglas Airport, On-Going Thread

The United A320 retrojet visited CLT today. Wasn't able to get out of work in time to catch the arrival, but did get a few of the departure. CLT was on 36 this afternoon, limiting what we could get, but it's the first time I've seen it, so I take what I can get.

Nice...I hope to catch this one someday...It's always better to have something than nothing at all...
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Love it when they bust out the retro looks. Wish more with some retro schemes would come to JFK.

IL-72 came in today. I'll post the rest of the shots from today later today or this weekend.

Adam Sheinhaus

Wow! Very nice on the IL.

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14 View Post
    IL-72 came in today.
    Il-76, but who's counting?

Glad you were able to make out, Adam. Unfortunately, I was stuck in the office today.

Thought one thing, typed another. Lol. Hope to see you out for the next good one!
    Adam Sheinhaus

Hello guys,

My first post here. Let me congratulate you all for the wonderful pictures taken at this arport

I have plans to go on a quick visit to CLT, mainly to photograph US Airway's A330-300s before they get painted in the AA livery which I don't know when it is going to start happening. If you can recommend me a date (month) to visit CLT keeping in mind that my main reason for going is aircraft photography, what would it be? When is more probable to have clear blue skies during the afternoon? My visit is going to be about 4 days at the most unfortunately

Also, are there any good spots for taking pictures during the mornings? As I understand the Overlook is great, but only works for afternoons.

@moose135, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, but my account wasn't active, so not sure if it went through.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards!

Hey xrbm! Welcome to NYCA! Take a look at the link below. I've created a comprehensive spotting map for CLT. I'd come in the summer when the days are the longest. You'll have good light at the overlook from 1PM-sunset.

http://asheinhaus.smugmug.com/Aviation/CLT

Please feel free to ask us any questions. CLT is very spotter friendly and you should be able to get most of the US east fleet in a few days.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14 View Post
    Hey xrbm! Welcome to NYCA! Take a look at the link below. I've created a comprehensive spotting map for CLT. I'd come in the summer when the days are the longest. You'll have good light at the overlook from 1PM-sunset.

http://asheinhaus.smugmug.com/Aviation/CLT

Please feel free to ask us any questions. CLT is very spotter friendly and you should be able to get most of the US east fleet in a few days.
    How is late May? I'm thinking about going there during Memorial Day weekend +/- 1 day.

Quote Originally Posted by felipegcmh View Post
    How is late May? I'm thinking about going there during Memorial Day weekend +/- 1 day.
    Late May is perfect. Honestly the light is good all year it just is a matter of when its best and how long it lasts. From May-September, you get awesome light in the evenings (although its good from 1 PM on as I said) and you'll be able to shoot up until 8 PM.

May early afternoon:

Afternoon the other direction:

June slightly later in the afternoon:

I don't have a good example of this in the summer since it's a new spot, but at dusk you end up with stuff like this:

Honestly at CLT, there are so many spots to choose from you're going to get good light at any point in the year at any point in the day.
    Adam Sheinhaus

That sounds perfect. I hope I can make it to catch as many East planes as possible (ie. A330s and the specials I'm missing), maybe even go to the Carolinas aviation museum while I'm there and catch the crazy Lufthansa woman.

Also, other than the viewing area, are these spots ok with the airport police/authority?

Quote Originally Posted by xrbm14 View Post
    @moose135, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, but my account wasn't active, so not sure if it went through.
    Sorry, I missed it - been busy the past week, and only made a couple of touch and goes here.

...and catch the crazy Lufthansa woman.
    If you're at the Overview when LH comes in (regardless of runway) you can't miss her.

Also, other than the viewing area, are these spots ok with the airport police/authority?
    Sometimes...there are times I've been out and had PD drive past without another look, other times spotters have been chased off. It's a little hit or miss, and as usual, can also be the result of a "concerned citizen" reporting us.

That sounds perfect. I hope I can make it to catch as many East planes as possible (ie. A330s and the specials I'm missing), maybe even go to the Carolinas aviation museum while I'm there and catch the crazy Lufthansa woman.

None of that should be too hard. I failed to mention that CLT runs in a pretty simple way. That is, if a plane is coming form the east, it will use an east runway. If it is coming from the west, it'll use a west runway.

If airport is running North to South:
    EAST ARRIVALS--Runway 23
    WEST ARRIVALS--Runway 18R or 18C (Center is only used for arrivals when it's not too busy with departures)
    EAST DEPARTURES--Runway 18L
    WEST DEPARTURES--Runway 18C

If airport is running South to North:
    EAST ARRIVALS--Runway 36R
    WEST ARRIVALS--Runway 36C or 36L
    EAST DEPARTURES--Runway 36R
    WEST DEPARTURES--Runway 36C

So if you have a special scheme coming from MSP, The Overlook, VOR, or Hill (depending on winds) are your best bets. If it comes from JFK, you'll use the McDonalds or Yorkmont Rd. for the best spots. Btw, Lufthansa will nearly always use 36R if the airport is South to North or 18C/18R if it's North to South.

Also, Moose hit the nail on the head when it comes to police. Most of the time they won't bother you. I've watched the President depart 18L from Yorkmont Rd and there was police and secret service there letting us take pictures but just reminding us not to go up to the fence. The one time I've gotten kicked off The Hill, the policeman sounded like he didn't want to do it. We have had a more recent incident where the police kicked someone off for a made up rule, but they usually aren't bad about it.
    Last edited by adscram14; 2014-04-26 at 08:08 AM.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Adam, Moose,

Thank you so much for those tips and information! Charlotte does seem to be very spotter-friendly indeed. July sounds like a good month to go. I will let you guys know when I decide the dates.

Thanks again. Regards!