Thread: United Flight 232: Surviving the Unthinkable

Post United Flight 232: Surviving the Unthinkable

NYCAviation:
    United Flight 232: Surviving the Unthinkable

On July 19, 1989 an engine explosion left United 232 with no hydraulics and no controls, leading to a crash landing where many of the passengers survived. Now 25 years later we look back at this extraordinary accident and examine what went wrong, and what went right.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Wow, 25 years already since seeing that video on the evening news the first time.

Had the privilege of meeting Jan about 10 years ago. Listening to her recount her experience was mindblowing. She was very brave in performing her job in that chaos.

Great article

I met Capt. Haynes at an ALPA function several years ago, we talked about the 727 a mutually favorite ride, he was just a total gentleman and a superb pilot.
    Last edited by 727C47; 2014-07-20 at 08:39 AM.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    I met Capt. Haynes at an ALPA function several years ago, we talked about the 727 a mutually favorite ride, he was just a total gentleman and a pilots pilot, I'll take him over Sully any day of the week.
    Uh, no need for that last comment!!

Amazing that there were survivors. A classmate's dad was onboard this flight and survived. He was featured in the Charlotte Observer today.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Truly amazing, if they hadn't gotten into that last phugoid at less than a hundred feet they all would have walked away from it, an amazing feat of airmanship to get that far, it is amazing that anybody walked away.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Uh, no need for that last comment!!
    You are quite right, I have edited my post.