Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Enterprise to New York April 23rd, 2012

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    I plan on Bayswater for my locale.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    S........Incidentally, what did the Cradle Museum do with the half-scale Times Square Concorde replica? I heard they hid it somewhere. .............
    They have it in the hangar.... this has been discussed to death already. It would cost over 1million dollars for the pedestal to be built and in the end you have a MODEL of an airplane for a million dollars when you could have had a fleet of actual aircraft restored for the museum. It does not make any sense to put a Concorde up for that amount of money. Unless your diehard Concorde fanatics that do not follow the normal logic where a real plane would not be as desirable as a model of a failed airliner. Im just saying......
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    a real plane would not be as desirable as a model of a failed airliner. Im just saying......
    I wouldn't quite call the SST a failure... First flown in 1969, Concorde entered service in 1976 and continued commercial flights for 27 years.

I'm just saying... LOL

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    I wouldn't quite call the SST a failure... First flown in 1969, Concorde entered service in 1976 and continued commercial flights for 27 years.

I'm just saying... LOL

Bill
    .......and here we go......
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post

I'm just saying... LOL

Bill
    No Bill, your wrong....

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...light=concorde

Post in this thread after you read the entire thread... I want to hear why

It may raise your blood pressure, but it is true
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    NASA T38 just landed on 22L at Kennedy.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I wonder which airport its going to relocate to....SWF or FRG?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

So the current JFK ATIS says winds 190 @ 7, visibility 10 Miles, few clouds at 4,500, broken at 10,000 and 25,000 and the radar looks clear up the coast between DC and JFK. Tell me again why the flight was postponed? Lewis Black was right - Meteorologist is the Greek word for liar.

You couldn't be any more right Moose....I had a feeling that today was going to be a perfect day to be down there watching her arrive.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    No Bill, your wrong....

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...light=concorde

Post in this thread after you read the entire thread... I want to hear why

It may raise your blood pressure, but it is true
    Well, I agree with this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    I understand Fred wants to say Concorde was a financial failure. Otherwise it was successful on several fronts, the most prominent being technology.
    Financially, yes... it was a failure & did not meet expectations... or even come close. But the advances in technology & all of the data learned in developing this aircraft are invaluable. It was also physically a success in that it worked, and flew for 27 years. Only the rich & famous could afford to fly it, but it did in fact fly.

Anyone read the latest popular science? It appears that there will be a few new SST's coming out in 2025, 2030, & 2035 (if target dates are met... which is doubtful). They are economical, green, & far less noisy. Go grab the issue if you haven't read it!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    You couldn't be any more right Moose....I had a feeling that today was going to be a perfect day to be down there watching her arrive.
    Well, I for one am glad it was post-poned because I only just learned of this!

Bill

Do you guys think we would get a decent glimpse back around the Coliseum area? Not looking for a photo Op, just want to see this with my own eyes without taking a 1/2 day.

Yes it's lovely here in NYC. Good visibility and winds are tolerable. Heading to the Intrepid now anyway. At least I can re-visit my beloved Concorde which flew supersonic for over 2 decades and even broke the record. Hopefully, Friday will be the day!

Technically, the Enterprise is sort of a model as well. She never had engines and was basically a glider. Did she have any cockpit controls?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Technically, the Enterprise is sort of a model as well. She never had engines and was basically a glider. Did she have any cockpit controls?
    Wrong, the Enterprise is NOT A MODEL....it was a space shuttle like the others. It was desinged for testing and Operation. it did all the landing testing and also was going to get a real heat shield and put into space. The ejection system for the pilots was one of the reasons why it was not converted. It had a full flightdeck, full controls and was missing engines and tiles ONLY.

"The design of OV-101 was not the same as that planned for OV-102, the first flight model; the tail was constructed differently, and it did not have the interfaces to mount OMS pods. A large number of subsystems—ranging from main engines to radar equipment—were not installed on this vehicle, but the capacity to add them in the future was retained. Instead of a thermal protection system, its surface was primarily covered with simulated tiles made from polyurethanefoam."