Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Thunder Over the Boardwalk Airshow

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Those photos showing structural failure are mine. I was there yesterday and today covering the process of putting the show together for a future article here. I don't have time to write much right now, but suffice to say it was a stunning experience top watch firsthand.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Well that explains why they initially forbid us from taking photos of one side of the Apache when they brought us over to it just after arrival.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Reports are traffic is backed up from the entrance of the airport all the way up 787 to Route 84.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

As anticipated they are pausing the show for commercial arrives at the airport

Anybody do preferred parking if so do they let you go back and forth to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    Anybody do preferred parking if so do they let you go back and forth to your car.
    I didn't do preferred parking, I did prepaid general parking. And while it took a lot longer to get in than the preferred parkers leaving was easy and fast as we drove by the preferred lot that was backed up.

Also once your through the gates your in, there is no re admission including preferred parking.

You go through a long wait at security and then another wait at the next entrance where they scan your ticket.

No no food or water of any kind allowed.

Be be prepared for extremely long wait lines, 30 to 60 minutes at least to get food & water.

Also so you can only get food on the food line.

And you you can only get drinks on the drink line.
    Last edited by fk6065; 2015-08-29 at 08:42 PM.

A few people mentioned to me that they began allowing in sealed water bottles at some point, so anyone going tomorrow can take the chance if they want. I also agree that the food and drink situation could have been managed better. Also, the photo pit was kind of useless. There were plenty of places along the general admission fence with shots that were just as good. It was nice though not needing to get there early and to have a spot to go back to after taking food breaks and such. Given the circumstances of the Horsemen not performing and the unfortunate death on Friday the show was understandably a bit short, but it was still really fun. I'm really interested to see what they can bring in next year.

Anyone going tomorrow you will want to bring a 500mm for the reach for some of the performers. 400mm on my D3 didn't cut it on some acts. Lighting isn't bad at all.

As for the flying portion of the show the performers were great, but some, like the L-39, and the SAR demo from the 106th were out just a little to far. There were a few long pauses, about 20 minutes for commercial flights, runway sweep, and just down time because they didn't have enough performers to fill the schedule. But overall the three main performers did not disappoint.

What was really annoying was the amount of airport vehicles riding back and forth on the fence line all day long.

Sequence of flight today was;

- West Point flag jump
    - Lucas Oil teaser
    - L-39
    - B-25
    - Harrier
    - 106th NYANG Pavehawk SAR Demo
    - Geico Skytypers
    - Lucas Oil full demo
    - SuperHornet
    - West Point mass jump
    - Raptor
    - USAF Heritage flight F-22 & P-51

I think the show has a lot of potential but really needs to be run much better from a logistics stand point.

this food line situation is real bothersome bringing wife and 3 kids from long island trying to make a family day. my wife prepaid for the preferred parking hoping we would have a cooler option at the car for her and my 2 daughters. 30-60 mins for a bottle of water for me and my son to miss the show not to dehydrate is even crazy. what are they thinking

Aside from the logistics on the organizers part, lets get to some flying

Real Nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by Innes View Post
    this food line situation is real bothersome bringing wife and 3 kids from long island trying to make a family day. my wife prepaid for the preferred parking hoping we would have a cooler option at the car for her and my 2 daughters. 30-60 mins for a bottle of water for me and my son to miss the show not to dehydrate is even crazy. what are they thinking
    They are thinking about making $$$$$$. I believe in retrospect after this is all over they will get together, have meetings and debrief and figure out how to make it better and more comfortable for the crowds for next year!! Not sure who the promoter is but this is a first for this location in a long time so naturally bugs need to be worked out!! But if they do this again next year and they get a aerobatic team like the Angels they can sure anticipate even larger crowds!!

Overall, a good show on Sunday. The clouds were slightly problematic, but I'm glad I paid for the Photo Pit tickets. Impressive demo by the F-22 and F-18. I can't believe how loud that Harrier is!

I didn't eat or drink anything (brought my own water) so I can't comment on the lines, but security was easy and getting to the show wasn't a problem at all. None of the roads were backed up anywhere, and I arrived around 11:15.

However, leaving the show was a complete and utter disaster. I left immediately following the F-22 demo to try and beat the bulk crowd. I beat many people and was at my car (in preferred parking) at 3:20. I got back onto International, the road leaving SWF, at 5:05PM. I waited almost two hours in basically stand-still traffic, to the point where people were standing outside their cars or urinating on the taxiway and perimeter road because they'd been there so long. This really, really needs to be addressed for next year - my friend who was NOT in preferred parking said it took him about 20 minutes to leave the airport. The perimeter road has another exit on Rt 747 to the West of the airport, and I don't understand why they didn't open this up for those leaving. What a mess.
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

I'm shocked you had such an issue, Antonis. I stuck around until just after 4 and got right out from the media lot, which was a bit closer to the exit from the preferred and VIP lots. A better alternative exit would be to bring traffic from those lots out by the cargo ramp. That road leads to an entirely separate onramp to I-84 and doesn't include the steep hill and tight turns of the runway end road. Here's a map of what I'm thinking.

The issues I had leaving were the massive number of people trying to get over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge and the backup caused by the toll plaza. It was bumper to bumper traffic from about half a mile after I got onto 84. I ended up taking back roads through Newburgh to avoid the traffic. Not much the show organizers can do about that though.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Once I got out of the airport, I made a left on 747 and drove south on 208 -> Rt 6 -> Rt 17 -> I-87. Saved me quite a lot of time avoiding I-84 and I-287.

But yeah, getting out of SWF was a complete nightmare.
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM