Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 56th FG Restaurant to Close in August

I will be there.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Doubt I can stay for dinner but a drink with Phil Derner is a must.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I'm in.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Unfortunately, it now looks like I can no longer make it. Give the old barn a nice send-off!

FYI, I will prob not get a table in the restaurant, but will be back by the bar area.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Enjoy, guys! Have one for me.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Enjoy indeed! Im doing the last Sunday AM brunch w/ the fam.

How were the guidos tonight?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

does anyone know whats going to happen next? Is another restaurant going to open? something else? just wondering...

ken

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    does anyone know whats going to happen next? Is another restaurant going to open? something else? just wondering...

ken
    The building will be knocked down to make way for additional aircraft parking

What they should do is build a hangar/ramp and make that the new site of the AAM. It would be the perfect spot. Easy access with the improved service road from 110, plenty of parking, a new large ramp with more room for the public to move about and still have room for warbird flight operations. It would also be a prime viewing area for the fight ops. Right next to the Main Terminal which always houses the Blues, and parallel to 1-19 and still prime viewing of 14-32. A new hangar would also require updated fire protection further securing that priceless collection. It would be a great spot to what they have now which provides no room for expansion. When that PBY is restored where will it go? The ramp is tight now, and the parking is non existant unless you want to call craming cars bumper to bumper on New Highway parking. It's always packed on Memorial Day and Labor Day. There are no sidewalks, cars on the shoulder up to the fence which forces people with stollers no less right on to the roadway. Not to mention the fact that cars never slow down to below 30 if they can help it.

I just think it would be a perfect spot. Maybe even lease out a small cafe on the side that pilot's could fly into for lunch. Offer a discount with museum admission.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

A few years back, when the AAM was in the midst of dealing with the FAA runway safety zone issues, one of the proposals floated was a joint venture with the 56th to build a new museum building next to the restaurant, with the restaurant group providing significant funding for the project. Obviously, that is a moot point now. The long-term plan for the museum is to move further south on New Highway, beyond the current SheltAir ramp.

Yes, a modern new facility near the terminal sounds like a great idea, and I'm sure if you find the money for it, the museum will be glad to discuss it with you...

Has anybody been by lately? I was wondering about what happened to the replicas on outside display? Is the building still there?
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

I believe the replicas outside were removed. The building is still there, and probably will be for a while. The site is being used as a staging area for FEMA. These were from Friday:

The aircraft replicas are gone, as are all the US Army "Equipment" that was on the propery as well. With all the FEMA equipment around, there is no place to hang out and watch planes for now by the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    The aircraft replicas are gone, as are all the US Army "Equipment" that was on the propery as well. With all the FEMA equipment around, there is no place to hang out and watch planes for now by the terminal.
    They even have security guards there watching the trucks.