Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

Sitting in my hotel room in Arizona watching coverage and getting TXTs from my wife and brother on LI and I cant believe the power and devestation of this storm. The flooding of lower Manhattan is ASTOUNDING!! Never saw anything like that!! And the video of the ConEd transformer blowing is AMAZING!! Right now there is a fire raging in Rockaway Park and FDNY had big problems getting even close to rescue people due to high water and barely could put water on it. I can only imagine the destruction we will see at first light this morning all over the region!! We will be feeling the effects of Sandy for a long long time!!

Well, for being closer to the center of the storm here in South Jersey I actually escaped with no damage, and amazingly, the power never went off. I am reading about the flooding and destruction up there that you are all dealing with right now and it is heartbreaking.

I truly hope that at least everyone here and their loved ones are OK and that your homes are without too much damage. Mark I am sorry to hear about your apartment but glad you are OK.

As soon as I can get ahold of my Mom and she is able to get back to Lawrence I'll be trying to get up there to help her clean up as I'm sure that at least the basement has flooded. Based on the surge prediction maps and topographic maps I looked at the house is 23 ft above sea level but I've seen pictures of the corner of Rockaway Tpke and Peninsula Blvd and the parking lot at Panera, they had about a foot of water there. Woodmere Docks was completely inundated and I'm reading that Meadowmere Park was devastated. When I saw the fire they had in Breezy Point I was speechless. One HUNDRED homes, gone, and most if not all of the Rockaways under water, same with Long Beach.

Take care over the next few days everyone

Hey guys.

Found a place with with WiFi.

I am without power and had flooding. Was a Pretty scary night. Water was everywhere. A river went down my block.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Hey guys.

Found a place with with WiFi.

I am without power and had flooding. Was a Pretty scary night. Water was everywhere. A river went down my block.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    On vacation in Orlando and glued to the news. Also getting some pretty disturbing pics from my neighborhood. Glad to see for the most part everyone's ok. **** can be replaced. You guys cannot. Be safe everyone.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Just wanted to let everyone who has been affected by Sandy,that my thoughts and prayers are with you,and if I can be of any help let me know.

Doug

Update: Doing well given the circumstances. Stepped out this morning and took a few photos but haven't gotten a chance to off load them yet. Saw plenty of National Guard troops staging in HoBe along with Homeland Security trailers and rescue volunteers from Maryland. Power is still out here. Was able to make a trek to Woodhaven where there are plenty of trees down. Checked on my moms house there and charge phones, my sisters iPad and took a nice hot shower (things we aren't able to do in HoBe). Eric and Jason, glad to hear you are all okay. One thing I am sadly missing out on is the news on tv. Feel clueless of what is happening in NYC. Friend sent me a pic of a parking lot at LGA which was flooded as well. Hopefully her car starts when she gets back from her trips. Stay safe all and thanks for the best wishes.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Program Coordinator
    So glad to see folks checking in and doing OK.

You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Staying at my parents in Hicksville, while my area in Patchogue has not even been assessed yet according to LIPA's map. Needless to say my posts will be very sporadic. My place survived, just no power, tv, Internet or,phone there. Probably won't be for a while. Glad to hear my friends here all seem to be okay. Like Kenny said, **** can be replaced friends cannot. Mark and Eric, I hope the damage to your places is not too severe, and you can go back to a normal life pretty soon.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    KEWR opens at 7AM tomorrow.
    KJFK opens at 12PM tomorrow.
    KLGA is still closed indefinitely.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Hey everyone! We did just fine at my place. We were very lucky. Had the wind been blowing the other direction, we would have been under water. We had no flooding f any sort, just a loss of power. So sorry to hear about Mark and Erik. Below is a video and a picture album of the damage:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=081f7fbc01

Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Well just printed myBoarding Pass for a flight from PHX to Dulles on United tomorrow AM!! Supposed to connect to LGA but not sure that will happen!! But have my contigency plan as long as I get to DC area. Will rent a car, bunk overnite with friends in Potomac and hit the road Friday morning!! Going home to no power since 6PM Monday and a number of trees down but none on the house!! Could be a week for restoration!! Thats fine!! What can you do!!!?? I was just on a Town "Patch" and people are moaning about no power and the wait!! REALLY? We just had a monster storm 2 DAYS AGO!! 90% of Nassau in the dark!! People dead, missing, businesses destroyed, homes destroyed, lives shattered so if you have no power for a week FEEL BLESSED!!!!! And BE PATIENT!!
    And its beautiful here in Arizona but still have Cabin fever!! Is that possible!!??
    Stay safe all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Update: Doing well given the circumstances. Stepped out this morning and took a few photos but haven't gotten a chance to off load them yet. Saw plenty of National Guard troops staging in HoBe along with Homeland Security trailers and rescue volunteers from Maryland. Power is still out here. Was able to make a trek to Woodhaven where there are plenty of trees down. Checked on my moms house there and charge phones, my sisters iPad and took a nice hot shower (things we aren't able to do in HoBe). Eric and Jason, glad to hear you are all okay. One thing I am sadly missing out on is the news on tv. Feel clueless of what is happening in NYC. Friend sent me a pic of a parking lot at LGA which was flooded as well. Hopefully her car starts when she gets back from her trips. Stay safe all and thanks for the best wishes.
    Mark, remember that you can get most TV channels nowadays on your iOS or Android. CNN has a great app as well as NBC and ABC I believe they all broadcast their channels via the app. I know CNN does!. Also, Cablevision app allows broadcasting of your entire cable subscription via their app but you have to be on your home network.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Verizon phone service is all but dead. SMS outgoing is impossible, but incoming works. My Android phone won't even attempt to place a call at all, but iPhones will keep trying and eventually get through. However, LTE is working just fine!
    If you have access to Optimum WiFi, I highly recommend using that. Even if your area does not have power, those are powered by the CATV system, and may be functional. I am on one right now at the Starbucks in Hewlett, which has no wifi itself. Stay safe everyone.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.