Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hockey is back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    I've heard that KHL becoming better and better hockey league - more finesse hockey vs. NHL - grit/power hockey.
    That's exactly why Olympic hockey is annoying to me, and while I prefer the NHL over other forms. I hate how it's becoming so "weak."
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Gintaras all the games so far are on NBCSports, CNBC and USA Network. NBC will do the Gold Medal game and maybe? the semis on Friday!! I've been fortunate to see the games last Thursday, Sat and this morning!! Interesting I DVR'd the USA-Russia game and a little voice told me to record another hour. Thank you voice!!
    Dont count out Finland and definitely not Sweden. Both have world class goalies (Rask & Lundqvist) that can steal games!! Rask almost did that vs Canada today!!
    Besides goalies, there are 5 players...I'm very against defensive hockey...that NJ Devils used to play for years - it wasn't entertaining...
    I did watch some of US-Russia on the net. I don't have cable TV - cable - just for iNet...I've bought an antenna to watch Olympics and only I have - NBC.

I'd like Russia to win, but they might have a problem because they have too many stars on...Dunno much about others...
    And I'm about attacking, finesse hockey rather defensive, grit/power hockey...
    I do like to see nice passes, speed rather than hits - it should be left for boxing...

Many people consider W.Gretzky - the great one...not me. For me - Mark Messier is The Greatest One...W.Gretzky had good numbers while he played with a bunch of great passers - Y.Kurri, Tikannen...Gretzky wasn't able to win another cup after Oilers. M.Messier did. And Mark did that, and he did, that prolly no one else did - he promised to win a game a night before the game - vs. NJ Devils, 1994 and he did almost by himself...Prolly one of greatest matches of hockey I've ever seen...

Last edited by Gintaras B.; 2014-02-16 at 07:51 PM.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    That's exactly why Olympic hockey is annoying to me, and while I prefer the NHL over other forms. I hate how it's becoming so "weak."
    Olympic hockey "Annoying"? Dont get that!! Finding all the games quite exciting!!
    And "weak?" How so?

Besides goalies, there are 5 players...I'm very against defensive hockey...that NJ Devils used to play for years - it wasn't entertaining...]
    In a playoff series/Olympics a hot goalie can carry a team to a championship. Seen it many times over the years just like Mr Quick did with the Kings a few years ago.
    Devils may not be entertaining but many playoff appearances and a few Stanley Cups would be entertaining enough for me!!
    And totally agree about Messier!! I am a life long Ranger fan so you know where I stand with Messier!!

Olympic hockey "Annoying"? Dont get that!! Finding all the games quite exciting!!
    And "weak?" How so?
    The wider rinks mean less hitting. It's too "pretty" and almost slow feeling with these guys having the ability to take their time since they have so much space to skate around on and no enforcers to keep them on their toes.

Therefore, weak, "pretty" and tame.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The day I can see the puck on TV, I'll watch hockey... Til then, I'll stick to soccer.

/French-rant-over

The wider rinks mean less hitting. It's too "pretty" and almost slow feeling with these guys having the ability to take their time since they have so much space to skate around on and no enforcers to keep them on their toes.
    I hear what you are saying!! But I will agree to disagree!!
    I like the speed and there has been plenty of hitting and action but I dont miss the enforcers!! Its like playoff hockey where enforcers pretty much ride the bench!! So much is at stake that you cant afford some goon to give the other team a power play and put you at a disadvantage!!
    BTW Womans team vs Sweden today in the Semis!! That might be "pretty".

BTW Womans team vs Sweden today in the Semis!! That might be "pretty".
    USA Womens team beat Sweden today 6-1 outshooting them 70-9!! YES SEVENTY to NINE!! Now that aint pretty for the Swedes!! They play Canada for the Gold Thursday at Noon!! Canada beat them last year and will be going for their fourth in a row.
    Mens elimination plays starts tomorrow (Today in Sochi) with the first game here at 3AM. Gintaras, Russia-Norway at 7:30AM

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    The day I can see the puck on TV, I'll watch hockey... Til then, I'll stick to soccer.

/French-rant-over
    I you can't see the puck on TV, don't even try to go to watch hockey in arena - everything is much faster than on TV . I used to watch some games @ MSG 94-95...
    As for soccer - it's #1 sport for me, but i'm loosing interest because too much commerce involved - not only in soccer, but in all sports together.

Hockey isn't about hitting, hockey is about plays, nice passes, speed - it's called finesse hockey. If I'd like to watch hitting, I would watch boxing.

USA Womens team beat Sweden today 6-1 outshooting them 70-9!! YES SEVENTY to NINE!! Now that aint pretty for the Swedes!! They play Canada for the Gold Thursday at Noon!! Canada beat them last year and will be going for their fourth in a row.
    Mens elimination plays starts tomorrow (Today in Sochi) with the first game here at 3AM. Gintaras, Russia-Norway at 7:30AM
    Gerard, I don't give a damn about women's hockey - it's not women's sport, and women should stay women(Just I don't have nothing against women - pilots - like Svetlana Kapanina or other women - like the one on Lufthansa A380...). And, 6-1 - it doesn't sound like good game. I do like tight games.

Tomorrow I have to go to work and I would be able to see just a little of 1st period. It's just sports and I don't take that seriously. Much worse would be if I would miss some rare airplane - to take photo of....
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Hockey isn't about hitting, hockey is about plays, nice passes, speed - it's called finesse hockey. If I'd like to watch hitting, I would watch boxing.
    Gerard, I don't give a damn about women's hockey - it's not women's sport, and women should stay women
    It's just sports and I don't take that seriously. Much worse would be if I would miss some rare airplane - to take photo of....
    Hitting is a big part of the game!! A good clean hit is exciting!! Its the goon crap I could do without!!
    I'll stay away from "women should stay women" quote!!
    I LOVE sports!! I've played baseball and basketball. My sons both played ice hockey and roller hockey, my oldest as
    far as the Junior level in ice. My daughter played travel soccer!! To me, and many others, sitting down watching games of your favorite team or a big game like Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup etc, well nothing better! It is the ultimate reality show!! A great bonding experience with friends and strangers. Its both exciting and frustrating, exhilarating and depressing! Just cant beat it!!

Quarter-Finals set: USA-Czech 12PM
    Canada-Latvia 12PM
    Sweden-Slovakia 3AM
    Russia-Finland 7:30AM

Gerard, I do like sports. When I was kid, back in my native country, I used to play hockey on a frozen river ice with friends, neighborhood kids. I did a lot of skiing in a winter. in summertime we used to play basketball, soccer. Basketball in my native country is not a sport - it's religion. I do have skates and I do go sometimes(less lately) to skate to the rink in Brooklyn - Coney Island.
    For me, main sports event - soccer World Cup. I watch when I can UEFA Champions League. I'm planning to get Roku 3 mainly for sports to watch - KHL, UEFA Cups, Bundesleague, English Premier League...etc...
    Soccer is most exiting sport to me. Hockey comes second. I've watched all 3 Rangers home games 94-95 Stanley Cup 1st round vs. Quebec Nordiques(next year the moved to Colorado) @ The Garden. I've watched Ranger game when Mark Messier scored his 500th goal(vs. Calgary, I think) at the Garden.

I've watched all 3 Rangers home games 94-95 Stanley Cup 1st round vs. Quebec Nordiques(next year the moved to Colorado)
    Mmm, if one of them was an OT winner I was there with a buddy from work!! Not sure if it was that year!!

Quarter-Finals set: USA-Czech 12PM
    Canada-Latvia 12PM
    Sweden-Slovakia 3AM
    Russia-Finland 7:30AM
    I wished Latvia win vs Canada, it didn't happen...

I wished Latvia win vs Canada, it didn't happen...
    It was close. Canada didnt score winning goal to almost halfway through 3rd period.
    Thought USA game would be closer but I am very happy!!
    Finland beating Russia did not surprise me!! Rask was playing great goal and the Fins played like a team. With all their stars the Russians did not seem to have any cohesiveness.
    Sweden will be tough with Henrik playing superb goal!! Happily I am off Friday so I can watch these games!!
    USA-Canada at 12Noon. Finland-Sweden at 7AM
    Games on NBCSports
    Last edited by Gerard; 2014-02-19 at 07:34 PM.