Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourselves For American Airlines’ Imminent Rebranding

The fuselage looks fine. The tail is too close to Cubana. Overall I think it's a failure. I was very disappointed when Virgin changed their livery with the purple stripe in the late 90s. I was not pleased with DL's latest livery. But at the end, I got used to them. I think I will get used to this one, too.

Close tail resemblance
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

The new logo isn't bad, and once someone explained the elements of it, it is kind of cool - but I think a lot of people won't get it either. The tail is just a mess. It's sort of an American flag, but not really, and it looks unfinished at the bottom. If you are going to have something like that on the tail - and I don't think it fits their overall theme - there should have been one more red stripe (which would have actually ended up with 7 red and 6 white, like the American flag...) and it should have continued forward on the lower part of the fuselage. The two elements - the logo and the tail - don't go together. It's almost as if two different design teams worked on them, and they didn't meet until today's unveiling.

Of course, this way, once the US/AA merger is completed, all they have to do is repaint the tails...

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    IMO it's because the rounded, swooshy feeling of the front half the plane contrasts very notably with the hard lines and edges of the tail...and there really isn't any transition. It's just one and then the other. I think if they wrapped the colors under the fuselage it would be less jarring.
    Agreed. That's why I think a "committee" designed the new AA livery. The biggest insult to great graphic design is having "Too many "cooks" in the kitchen".
    Gone are the days of greats like Saul Bass with his iconic logos for Continental and United with his "tulip". We gave these guys autonomy
    and trusted them to do what they do best.
    http://purpuleminds.files.wordpress....resized370.jpg
    -Don B.

A quick edit to see what it may look like in Oneworld c/s

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    The one world makes it look all captain america-y

Do you folks really think that AA didn't have MANY people and spend millions on consultants to come up with this?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil, my lowly company spent a few million on a couple of cut squares for our new brand after 200+ years of the old brand.

Some of the considerations are things like:

--Will it fit EVERYHWERE
    --Will it FIT anywhere
    --Does it print well
    --Does it look horrible
    --What does it mean in [insert Country/Language here] (see Chevy Nova in Mexico)
    --Will it cost much to paint

and likely TONS many more... I love the Monday Morning Quaterbacking...

I like it and it is NOT horrible... trust me, it can be worse!!!

Created by Airliners.net BBCode Generator
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    The one world makes it look all captain america-y
    I hope they don't ask the crew to wear blue leotards now.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Do you folks really think that AA didn't have MANY people and spend millions on consultants to come up with this?
    They used Futurebrand to redesign their branding. Now, these guys may not necessarily be agency of record for AA. It's not uncommon for a company
    to pitch out a big job like this. Futurebrand could have had the winning selection out of several agencies in the pitch. Not unusual in this day and age of "crowdsourcing".
    http://www.designboom.com/design/fut...lines-rebrand/
    -Don B.

No, the real story is they spotted a similar re paint template in one of the famous Anet speculation forums after the Airbus order and thought "gosh, since we are bankrupt now like everyone else was 10 years ago, we should do a euro trashy paint job like the rest did too before re emergence" to which they seeked out the 13 year old middle schooler who did the re-paint, gave him 5 hours in the 777 sim, a pilot hat and a certificate as form of purchase for his template and this was born... No really, this paint job is horrible, it looks like Air France, Cubana, Boeing and Greyhound had a bukakke party on an airplane. Disgusting and dissapointing.....
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The badboys behind the AA rebrand>

http://www.futurebrand.com/
    -Don B.

Spend millions...yes..many people, probably not. you'd be very surprised how many companies do changes like this in silos with very little input from the outside.

That's the scary part, Phil, they spent millions, and this mess is what they came up with. It looks like one of the designers watched his kid play Flight Sim, and thought "Hey, there's a cool scheme!"