Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Plane Terror Threat

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Makes total sense. After 9/11 they have figured out to carry out a mass hijacking is pretty impossible so if they want to continue they will have to do it this way. Since there is no screening with General Aviation.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-09-04 at 10:15 AM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

i second that
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

"Authorities say there is no specific or credible terrorist threat for the 10-year anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon."

Why issue a warning when there is no threat? To get people freaked out? Most people associate "warning" with "something's gonna happen".

We have to learn to live normal lives again. The DHS and their stupid color coded system(which is thankfully now gone) never helped anybody, and provided only the illusion of security. This is how the country gets brainwashed.

What's next? "Don't go into Manhattan on 9/11- authorities have no specific threat, but someone there could be up to no good?" Aargh

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    "Authorities say there is no specific or credible terrorist threat for the 10-year anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon."
    No specific threat of a certain airport targeted for thefts but Bin Laden had notes on this type of attacks and many on the tenth anniversary that it makes sense to issue warnings. Also a CYA warning, if something happens the first question will be why wasn't there a warning made.

The threat has been around for a long time and there is screening of a different type such as background checks on flight school students.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Why issue a warning when there is no threat? To get people freaked out? Most people associate "warning" with "something's gonna happen".
    what exactly do you mean by 'normal' life? a normal life of blissful ignorance where nobody cares about anybody? that's what most of my neighborhood has become, some of my tenants can't even follow NYC sanitation laws. NYC and the rest of the US isn't ever going to be normal again.

to top that off, there's always a threat. just because nobody is running around and point AK's at your head doesn't mean there isn't a threat.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Hate to break it to you but the job of the defense department is to defend the nation. The average person is not some Rambo wanabe gun toater who walks around with a Kbar on each ankle, a hatchet in the trunk and 4 hunting rifles under their mattress. It is there right to but not a requirement. The goverment is pretty much saying, "we dont see anything on radar but we gotta publicly cross our t's just in case something happens so CNN cant make us look like the schmucks we are".
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    Hate to break it to you but the job of the defense department is to defend the nation. The average person is not some Rambo wanabe gun toater who walks around with a Kbar on each ankle, a hatchet in the trunk and 4 hunting rifles under their mattress. It is there right to but not a requirement. The goverment is pretty much saying, "we dont see anything on radar but we gotta publicly cross our t's just in case something happens so CNN cant make us look like the schmucks we are".
    Exactly.... Hey, wait a minute!!!!!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Makes total sense. After 9/11 they have figured out to carry out a mass hijacking is pretty impossible so if they want to continue they will have to do it this way. Since there is no screening with General Aviation.
    not ENTIRELY true...though it's an isolated case (there are others with screening to lesser extent) KBOS requires all crew and passengers to pass through full security checks at the GA ramp at Signature. I agree with you that it is a LOT looser, but not entirely loose as you put it

Also, try going to Teterboro...you can't even get into the FBO parking lot without a DAMN good reason
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

As much as I can understand the motivation, issuing a warning to cover their a**es because they don't want to look like they weren't paying attention later on CNN isn't a reason to issue a warning.

What do I mean by 'normal life'? I mean not living in a constant state of paranoia, which is stoked by warnings like these. I mean using your common sense instead of having them dictate to you when to be afraid and when to be even more afraid. I mean not giving up rational thought whenever someone says "9/11". I'm just sick of it. So are we left to be simple sheep, hanging on their every word about when it's OK to go out? How long did the color code system stay at yellow for? Was there really a significant risk of attacks for most of the years since this happened? That got old quick. If that's their idea of defending the nation, then maybe we really do have something to be worried about.

And as for normal life being about blissful ignorance and not caring about anybody, don't put me in that category. We'll only become as neurotic about this as we let ourselves be. When people say "the terrorists have already won", this is what they are referring to. I'm willing to bet the tenants you mentioned had the same filthy habits before 9/11 that they have now.

I'm no Rambo and I'd be lying if I said I was never afraid I would myself become a victim of an attack, and I don't delude myself into thinking there will never be another one. But this anniversary warning is nonsense. Who would actually try something 10 years to the day after 9/11, when awareness is at its highest level?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    As much as I can understand the motivation, issuing a warning to cover their a**es because they don't want to look like they weren't paying attention later on CNN isn't a reason to issue a warning.

What do I mean by 'normal life'? I mean not living in a constant state of paranoia, which is stoked by warnings like these. I mean using your common sense instead of having them dictate to you when to be afraid and when to be even more afraid. I mean not giving up rational thought whenever someone says "9/11". I'm just sick of it. So are we left to be simple sheep, hanging on their every word about when it's OK to go out? How long did the color code system stay at yellow for? Was there really a significant risk of attacks for most of the years since this happened? That got old quick. If that's their idea of defending the nation, then maybe we really do have something to be worried about.

And as for normal life being about blissful ignorance and not caring about anybody, don't put me in that category. We'll only become as neurotic about this as we let ourselves be. When people say "the terrorists have already won", this is what they are referring to. I'm willing to bet the tenants you mentioned had the same filthy habits before 9/11 that they have now.

I'm no Rambo and I'd be lying if I said I was never afraid I would myself become a victim of an attack, and I don't delude myself into thinking there will never be another one. But this anniversary warning is nonsense. Who would actually try something 10 years to the day after 9/11, when awareness is at its highest level?
    before you speak of categories realize this. there are members on these boards that lost friends on 9/11, and probably would have run into those buildings themselves had things happened differently. i don't know if you're one of them, but know this: you're not the only one that's sick of all the malarkey regarding the anniversary.

on the other hand the federal govt will always cover it's ass. i'm sure you're familiar with the term "you're only as strong as your weakest link." well there's lots of weak links out there and they do need to be reminded of when to breath in and when to breath out so it should come as no surprise that the announcement was made.

in terms of common sense... i hate to break it to you but common sense is dead. the obit was in the times a few years ago.

now is it safe to go out? that's a decision you have to make yourself. you've probably got a better chance of getting hit by a car than killed by a suicide bomber but don't quote me on that i'm no statistician.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I don't delude myself into thinking there will never be another one. But this anniversary warning is nonsense. Who would actually try something 10 years to the day after 9/11, when awareness is at its highest level?
    The same insane religious fanatics who did it the first time and have no fear of being caught since they will be sacrificing their lives anyway. Dont be complacent because "awareness is at its highest level". That is sometimes the best time to do it. Like the old adage of "hiding in plain sight". And it might not be to the day but very close. I for one dont view the warnings as "nonsense" but at the same time will continue to go on with my regular routine.

While I feel for everyone that lost people on Sept 11, the impending 10-year anniversary is still not a valid reason for a warning. Emotions cloud judgement and effective decision making. If that were the case, why are there not terror warnings every December 7th? Or every April 19th? Or for that matter, every February 26th?

I appreciate people trying to explain why the warning is a valid one, but I remain unconvinced. The enemy may be insane, but they aren't stupid. Sounds like what I'm left with is that, as it has already been stated, common sense has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Yep, going to be a busy weekend.... Off to work.
    Ronald Reagan