Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan Am to relaunch again??

Pan Am to relaunch again??

I was reading this link and my eyes went open wide and seeing this news. Pan Am to be back in Q4 2013/2014. Personally I don't see this happening... If true, what aircraft would they get?

http://www.eturbonews.com/34553/will...ack-early-2014
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

This link was posted on another famous aviation site(you can guess who it is) and all it was was a bunch of whiners complaining that they weren't interested in seeing the brand flop again. You would have thought they all would have rather had an appointment with the dentist. How can you say you're not interested in seeing the blue meatball fly again?!?!?!

(In my best Fire Marshal Bill voice)Let me tell you something. If Paul McCartney and Ringo Star said they were going to form The Beatles 2.0 with different musicians, I'd be damn interested in what that sounded like.

But this isn't McCartney and Starr putting a band together. This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo. This is the RAILROAD that owns the rights to the name using that name on some low-cost start-up operation that will have nothing in common with the original Pan Am save for that logo. This isn't the "return of Pan Am" - it is one more attempt to capitalize on the name recognition of an old brand to attract people to fly on an airline that they otherwise wouldn't.

And while I might listen to a band that McCartney and Starr put together, I sure wouldn't think it was the Beatles, regardless of what they called it.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    But this isn't McCartney and Starr putting a band together. This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo. This is the RAILROAD that owns the rights to the name using that name on some low-cost start-up operation that will have nothing in common with the original Pan Am save for that logo. This isn't the "return of Pan Am" - it is one more attempt to capitalize on the name recognition of an old brand to attract people to fly on an airline that they otherwise wouldn't.

And while I might listen to a band that McCartney and Starr put together, I sure wouldn't think it was the Beatles, regardless of what they called it.
    True that!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I wouldn't fly them but dammit I would shoot them.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

But Moose we are talking about an airline start up using the same name, not a wine and cheese store, so its the same product category. I don't think anyone really believes it would become the same Pan Am, just like a new Beatles wouldn't be the same as the old. Bottom line is, your ticket still says 'pan am' on it. I think my point was that it will be interesting to see what happens, instead of just being jaded and instantly downplaying the effort that would go into it. So what that it's statistically unlikely. People said the same thing to Richard Branson.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    ...This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo...
    "Except" for the name and logo? Air travel IS consumerism and consumerism is all about brand recognition, perception and the logo. Remember how many people got their panties all in a bunch when AA recently walked away from their logo of 45 years? Branding and packaging play an integral role in any purchasing decision. Especially when you are trying to differentiate yourself in a market where the product is basically the same across the board (like air travel).

That said, the PAA trademark stood for quality and represented high level service and customer experience. I think the new PA should grab on to that. Maybe market to First Class and Business class. Or, offer higher quality service than "the other guy" for the same price (Virgin America).

I think people still know what that blue globe stands for. The TV show was a testament to this. The original PAA was the antithesis of the low-end ("SPIRIT") carriers of today. If the new were to position themselves in that space, I think the public would eventually realized they're being duped.
    -Don B.

you know in their last incarnation they were a bottom feeding 727 outfit that no one would touch with a 10 foot pole,but it was still awesome to see the blue ball flying.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    you know in their last incarnation they were a bottom feeding 727 outfit that no one would touch with a 10 foot pole,but it was still awesome to see the blue ball flying.
    Yep, I remember that. That's one reason why I say they should take the high road next time.
    -Don B.

Pan Am v7.0, because the previous six versions worked out so well.

(I think the count is up to seven companies trying to build an airline on the Pan Am name. Not all the tries got around to actually flying the name.)

I will admit I flew the last re incarnation of Pan Am from SFB to BQN and back.... And I will fly on the next one too if it makes it off the ground as well.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i still think that would look really cool! well we can always dream. i'm too young to remember flying on them but the company was where mu uncle got his start in aircraft mx and ended his career with american. personally, i think it would be really control a/c in my airspace using a 'clipper' callsign.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    I wouldn't fly them but dammit I would shoot them.
    Even if it was a 777? Or....shudder to think, an A380???

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Even if it was a 777? Or....shudder to think, an A380???
    Well then I'd shoot it once just to say I did lol.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I think the color would really look nice on a 787. Ive always loved Pan Am. If the airline was is gonna maybe come back, it will never be the same, no 747s, 727s. I still think alot of it doesnt make since as stated before.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15