Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK Friday Night 8/9/2013

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar

JFK Friday Night 8/9/2013

Finally got around to processing some night shots from last week. Great hanging with Mark and Sergio. We should get a group together and do a night shoot again soon.

Highlight of the evening was when they rolled in HiFly

-Don B.

Nice set Don! Pleasure shooting with Sergio and you as well. I still haven't gotten around to my shots yet.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks Mark. Look forward to seeing yours. I found that the shorter exposures were sharper. Dealing with that wind was a real challenge.
    Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-08-18 at 11:32 PM.
    -Don B.

Excellent work Don! Next time try out the T1 garage as well. Ive seen some excellent night shots from the end of that garage that overlooks the south end of T4 as well.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

A little of topic but can somebody recommend a quality tripod for around 100-200$... Don You know what I'm gonna say :P Excellent work. Next time you go out tell me!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Jared ... There are plenty of tripod vendors out there that can empty your savings quickly. Firstly find one that is solid and doesn't have to many moving parts. The sturdier the better. Next consider the size ..... Some tripods are more compact than others. Lastly, consider the material the tripod is made of ... carbon fiber is much lighter but will cost more. One thing for sure, once you have a solid tripod it should last you a long time.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Thanks mark! I'm going to pick some brains over at my local camera store.
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Forgot to mention ... But make sure that the tripod can support the camera and lens combo you plan on using. Tripods do have weight restrictions for the amount of weight they can hold.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Didn't we have a fairly extensive discussion of tripods here not too long ago? Try a search on the forum, Jared.

ETA:
    http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...ecommendations
    Last edited by moose135; 2013-08-19 at 10:37 AM.

Don

Fabulous shots. The one thing we are missing here in Toronto is a good spot with ramp access for night photography - was wondering what settings you used for your shots. What ISO, shutter speed etc. I'm surprised you got such sharp images of a moving aircraft - very nicely done. Is hand held a possibility or did you use a tripod?
    I would like to try this myself on my next visit - any issues with Security if you are on the garage after dark?
    Sorry about all of the questions.
    Cheers
    Trevor

Off-topic: I flew XL last month and was surprised that we never made it to the gate, although T4 didn't seem crowded. Instead they parked us about 200 yards from the terminal, loaded us off with traditional stairs, and drove us by bus. Is this a regular occurrence at JFK? I would have thought these times were long gone.

Beautiful shots .. Job well done sir !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Excellent work Don! Next time try out the T1 garage as well. Ive seen some excellent night shots from the end of that garage that overlooks the south end of T4 as well.
    Thanks Steve. I'll have to try that next time.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    Don

Fabulous shots. The one thing we are missing here in Toronto is a good spot with ramp access for night photography - was wondering what settings you used for your shots. What ISO, shutter speed etc. I'm surprised you got such sharp images of a moving aircraft - very nicely done. Is hand held a possibility or did you use a tripod?
    I would like to try this myself on my next visit - any issues with Security if you are on the garage after dark?
    Sorry about all of the questions.
    Cheers
    Trevor
    Thanks Trevor. I started at about 250 ISO / 4 sec. at F8. Then I went up, or down from there as needed. Good sturdy tripod for all shots and none of the aircraft were moving. That XL approaching the gate looks like she was moving, but she actually paused for a few seconds. Security van is almost always an issue, but hopefully better times are ahead as Phil posted in an earlier thread this week.
    Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-08-19 at 06:51 PM.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    Off-topic: I flew XL last month and was surprised that we never made it to the gate, although T4 didn't seem crowded. Instead they parked us about 200 yards from the terminal, loaded us off with traditional stairs, and drove us by bus. Is this a regular occurrence at JFK? I would have thought these times were long gone.
    I think it's hit, or miss whether they use the gate or bus. Depends on gate availability at the time, although we were all surprised that XL came into the gate. BTW, how was the in-flight service and cabin interior on XL?

Don
    -Don B.