Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYCA's Best Spotting Photos of 2012 Contest

Commercial:

I like this one enough that it made it onto the back of my business cards!

I find the Egyptian tail to be memorizing, and the sheer amount of aircraft in this tight pick is cool

Funky airline, super aggressive rotation

Military

VIP

The moon makes this shot work

Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Commercial

Military/Airshow

VIP/Special

The night they de-mated the shuttle was one hell of a long day. I had just returned from the McGuire Airshow and as I was settling in at home I get a text message from Mark saying "something is going on, I think their going to move it". So about 11PM I head out to JFK not knowing exactly how long this process is going to take. Were we in for a long night. We stood on the pedestrian over pass for almost 5 hours watching the tedious process of the shuttle be de-mated from the SCA. We were visited by other curious on lookers also a brief visit by NASA employees and also witnessed a pretty bad accident on the JFK expressway where I think everyone got out ok. All in all it was a great day and night into morning.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Well im going to particapte even though my only good photos are my mililtarly I've been really inactive in photography lately So im going to upload my Militarly photos XD Good Luck everyone :) Apologize for what i said earlier..
    Commercial:

Out of the blue Gulf streams Starting taking off before the air show began..

An Boeing 737 United Taking off at Pbi..Leaving a trail

Love these old Version of planes Their engines are Just incriedable My military photos are better though :)

Military/Airshow
    1. F18 On display at the air show

2. Mig 17 Tail Soviet Union

3. Machine Gun from the Tiger shark plane
    Vip/Special services

1. Jet House engine,This Im pretty sure didn't appear at any other airshows Goes up to 75 Miles per hour

2. Free Falling from sky while national anthem Ignore the Copyright lol i didn't know how to put an accurate one Until now XD
    3. 1920 Plane made i believe in 1927 if not then a ww2 bomber forgot What he said about this plane all i remeber is saying 1920 something.
    Good photos all,
    Last edited by Just_Lucas; 2012-12-16 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Lucas View Post
    1. Jet House engine,This Im pretty sure didn't appear at any other airshows
    That was at Winston-Salem in August - did he run the jet powered school bus at your show?

yeah he did i think but i dont think i got a chance to see it haha howd you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    That was at Winston-Salem in August - did he run the jet powered school bus at your show?

Well im going to particapte even though my only good photos are my mililtarly I've been really inactive in photography lately Not just aviation But in all sorts of field cause i was surrvering from depression among other things but im going to upload my Militarly photos but i dont execep to come in any place but last :) at least im participating :D
    Lucas the idea of this thread is for people to show off their work, not to get depressed by it. I won't deny that it is completely devoid of any amount of competitiveness but it is certainly of the most innocuous kind that is all in good fun. Some barbed words were traded here and there about different subjects throughout the year but we are a community for a reason, because the sum of us is greater than us as individuals. We have all been where you are just starting out with the photography and have all worked tirelessly to get better.

Part of what you should consider doing is developing some realistic goals as well as plans to reach those goals. One example of that is to not say that you expect to come in last, despite what you may believe will happen. I don't expect to win anything, it would be nice, but I'm just happy I was alive for another year to work on my skills. And if the depression you speak of is more that just about your photos not looking good enough, I think the same advice holds. What you tell yourself about your perception of your life can have a hell of a negative effect on your moods.

Activity, you will find, is often the best medicine for feeling low. Get out there and shoot as much as you can and the hell with whether it might not look as good as others. You do well when you ask for feedback here, but also consider the many free youtube videos with great tutorials about exposure, composition, and post processing. Make learning and getting better your mission in life, and become disciplined in everything from your shooting technique to just getting out of bed early enough to get that awesome light. You got a dream. Get out there and follow it, because in the end, it's all about keeping the bus on the road all the way to the end.

Sorry i did not mean to say that that day,i guess was just in one of those bad moods sorry shouldn't have said that out lol And yes We all started new and gotten better BUt thankyou I will do Just that :)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Lucas the idea of this thread is for people to show off their work, not to get depressed by it. I won't deny that it is completely devoid of any amount of competitiveness but it is certainly of the most innocuous kind that is all in good fun. Some barbed words were traded here and there about different subjects throughout the year but we are a community for a reason, because the sum of us is greater than us as individuals. We have all been where you are just starting out with the photography and have all worked tirelessly to get better.

Part of what you should consider doing is developing some realistic goals as well as plans to reach those goals. One example of that is to not say that you expect to come in last, despite what you may believe will happen. I don't expect to win anything, it would be nice, but I'm just happy I was alive for another year to work on my skills. And if the depression you speak of is more that just about your photos not looking good enough, I think the same advice holds. What you tell yourself about your perception of your life can have a hell of a negative effect on your moods.

Activity, you will find, is often the best medicine for feeling low. Get out there and shoot as much as you can and the hell with whether it might not look as good as others. You do well when you ask for feedback here, but also consider the many free youtube videos with great tutorials about exposure, composition, and post processing. Make learning and getting better your mission in life, and become disciplined in everything from your shooting technique to just getting out of bed early enough to get that awesome light. You got a dream. Get out there and follow it, because in the end, it's all about keeping the bus on the road all the way to the end.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Wow, its been maybe a year since I last took a plane pic and forver since I last uploaded.

Some really nice stuff here, maybe I'll get back into shooting one day! Great stuff there everyone!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Wow, its been maybe a year since I last took a plane pic and forver since I last uploaded.

Some really nice stuff here, maybe I'll get back into shooting one day! Great stuff there everyone!
    Yeah, we go spotting like once a year. I think it was January we were out.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Getting my entries in just under the proverbial wire. I actually had a lot to choose from this year.
    Here's looking forward to the new airlines/types 2013.

Commercial

Military/Air Show

VIP

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Commercial:

Being a big Jets fan( I suffered enough, please no insults), I was tracking this plane at the time and didn't realize how windy it could be at Bayswater park.

This guy came in shortly afterward;I was lucky to get sunshine against the dark clouds in the background.

Believe it or not, all three of the above were taken on the same day, within an hour or so, talk about crazy weather! Then this snow squall came through briefly.

Special Visitors:

This was one of the greatest sights that I have seen in my few years of aviation photography:

I had tower shots, very similar to Moose's (being that he was standing next to me) but out of many great shots that I got that day, I liked this one the best since I caught the chase plane in the same shot as it passed the SCa/ Shuttle on one of it's passes.

This shot was from the Andrews show, I noticed him taking off in the background and tried for a panning shot, while not perfect, it's not terrible plus I only had two other VIPS/Special vistors:

Here's my tower shot, this was the first time that I caught AF1, the lighting wasn't perfect and it was cold and windy. I had the time and thanks to alerts from this group, I knew that it was coming in, so I went for it. All alone at Bayswater.

Military:

The B2 taken at Andrews this year, he made a few passes and the lighting was very good:

Blue Angels from Andrews:

F22, also from Andrews show. The lighting was very good at this show, I was disappointed when I heard that it is no longer an annual event. While I really like the Jones Beach show, the lighting form the beach sucks!
    Last edited by Joe; 2012-12-26 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added comments

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Jet House engine,This Im pretty sure didn't appear at any other airshows Goes up to 75 Miles per hour
    It was also at Rhode Island in either 2009 or 2010.

oh now i feel dumb for saying that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It was also at Rhode Island in either 2009 or 2010.

I'm getting in just under the wire as well....

Commercial

Military

Special Visitors

Most of the shots are from Boston Logan and smaller Massachusetts airports

Rich B
    Last edited by AA757; 2012-12-25 at 08:01 AM.

Program Coordinator
    Alrighty, here are my choices for 2012 (I am ineligible for the contest)

Commercial:

Dreamlifter tight shot from ANC:

WN 738 being towed in for maintenance work at PAE

Air China 744 into LAX

Military/airshow:
    from the slot position in a gaggle of T6s
    1. Original (800 x 1200)

B25 Mitchell playdate while on downwind for a pass at PAE

The mighty Apache, posing for a photo shoot after the American Heroes rotorhead show:

And catches of the year...(still still five days left)...
    All Blacks ANZ 777

AN124

And, after years of trying to get one of these...finally, finally, finally - an EVA -300 special: