Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Air France plane missing over the Atlantic

Re: Air France plane missing over the Atlantic

Wow , looking at those ACARS messages. It it didnt come apart at altitude, they almost certainly lost control of it. Just about everything needed failed.

CNN reporting some bodies have been found.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

So far 2 bodies have been found.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

According to MSNBC, another 3 bodies. I'm guessing they are close to the crash site, but with currents, weather, etc, it might be a big search area still.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

17 bodies now recovered according to Brazilian news agencies.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31151191/

Now a large section of the tail has been found - it looks like we are getting a little closer to knowing what might have happened...
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

The tail looks like it snapped off pretty clean vs. being damaged upon impacting the water.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    The tail looks like it snapped off pretty clean vs. being damaged upon impacting the water.
    Reminds me of the photos the tail from AA587...

The first line of the ACARS warnings jumped out at me when I first saw it, and seeing the tail reinforces this. I haven't seen this explored anywhere else, have you guys?
    F/CTL RUD TRV LIMIT FAULT
    I'm pretty positive that means FLIGHT CONTROL RUDDER TRAVEL LIMIT FAULT.

The rudder moving too far would be the same thing that led to the demise of AA 587.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Given the wx conditions that are being considered, I personally feel that in being tossed about, that jet also lost its rudder.

RIP
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

The computer on the A330 doesn't allow movement like that on the A300. Remember the A300 isn't fly by wire. Even when the A330 switched to alternate law the computer still wouldn't allow rudder movement like AA587. It is very interesting however why the break is so clean....

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    The computer on the A330 doesn't allow movement like that on the A300. Remember the A300 isn't fly by wire. Even when the A330 switched to alternate law the computer still wouldn't allow rudder movement like AA587. It is very interesting however why the break is so clean....
    Supposedly, but the ACARS fault message would seem to indicate that it did travel too far for one reason or another, whether it was input from the crew or the result of high wind.

Looking at that picture, the 1st thought was AA587's tail. If true, that ECAM message might be a big clue. Most yaw dampers dont have the control authority to move the rudder more than a few degrees either way.
    If the systems on the A330 are degraded to direct law, would that rudder limit protection still be there?

Just to throw something out there, has anyone thought of an uncommanded rudder movement leadint to the separation if the entire fin and loss of control?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R
    Just to throw something out there, has anyone thought of an uncommanded rudder movement leadint to the separation if the entire fin and loss of control?
    at first no, but it's starting to make sense. could an electrical short have caused uncommanded rudder movements?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R
    Looking at that picture, the 1st thought was AA587's tail. If true, that ECAM message might be a big clue. Most yaw dampers dont have the control authority to move the rudder more than a few degrees either way.
    If the systems on the A330 are degraded to direct law, would that rudder limit protection still be there?

Direct law would cause the plane to do whatever the pilots wanted it to do, so no there would be no protection from that kind of rudder movement. I don't recall that the ARCAS messages indicated that plane went to Direct law.