Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Qantas A380 Safely Lands After Engine Explodes Near Singapore

And now a Rolls Royce powered 747-400 of Quantas lands at the same airport with an engine problem as well - not to sure if this is a RR or Quantas problem now...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40019190/ns/travel-news/
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

ahhh, that's no biggie. Engine Failures are a daily thing. It just sounds like bad timing. An uncontained failure is a VERY BIG DEAL! The 747 issue is a non issue...just good media after the first incident. sorry, LAME story
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I concur. Everybody on this forum should wish every flight a safe departure, flight and landing even if we don't like a particular design. I call some some small aircraft "flying bathtubs" but I wish them all a safe trip. There are actual human beings aboard every single flight! Making light of a near-disaster is no laughing matter. I find the design of the A388 not as attractive as the B744, but it is quieter, roomier and uses less fuel. I still haven't gotten-over the Concorde crash from July 2000 as a matter of fact.

On the today show they just said that Quantus said they found oil leaks in 3 other A-380 engines and will be grounded another 3 days. I do not trust the Today show but that was said.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

That's being widely reported this morning, Fred...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/wo.../09qantas.html

New Oil Leaks Keep Qantas Airbus Jets Grounded
    by MERAIAH FOLEY

Published: November 8, 2010

SYDNEY, Australia — Qantas Airways will keep its fleet of six Airbus A380s grounded for at least another 72 hours after oil leaks were discovered in the engines of three separate aircraft, the company’s chief executive said on Monday.The move comes as investigators worked to pinpoint the cause of a dramatic mid-air explosion that forced a Qantas jetliner to make an emergency landing last week. The grounding of the A380s has delayed dozens of flights and forced Qantas, Australia’s largest carrier, to charter aircraft from British Airways to meet the backlog.

Alan Joyce, the airline’s chief executive officer, said that engineers working over the weekend had spotted oil leaks in the turbine area of engines on three planes.

A friend of mine who is a pilot mentioned something about "they did a full power run-up and disable the squat switches" ??? not sure what that means...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

NLovis
    Oh man thats not good for Quntas or RR. RR supposed to have very good engines and something like this can hurt them in the future. Quntas is already not doing so well with the economy as is.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    A friend of mine who is a pilot mentioned something about "they did a full power run-up and disable the squat switches" ??? not sure what that means...

Full power runup is when they bring the engine up to full power, run up means that the aircraft was not flying, usually one engine with breaks on.
    Squat Switches are Switches that only activate if there is weight on the wheels...Like AutoSpoilers, aircraft hits the ground..the gear squat switches allow the spoilers to deploy or the gear NOT to retract when ordered to by the gear lever.

I have no idea what the squat switches would do with a full power run up, or why that would affect anything later at altitude....but there is allot in life I do not understand so I will not sweat it! ;)