Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Blow to the A380

I agree,

I think most of the PAX A380's will be converted into Freight versions after the airlines learn they are just not worth it to use on PAX flights. That or inter-China flights!! ;) :D

The A380 was at least Airbus' design, unlike the A350 which looks so much like a 787 that a change in paint, and they would be one of the same!
    nwa FOREVER!

For those who say the A380 is too big for passenger service, I agree -- in North America, which is not the market it was intended for. In the rapidly growing economies located between the Middle East and Asia, say from the Gulf east to Japan and whatever in between, there are huge numbers of people concentrated in urban areas that need or want to travel between these areas, and to places where there is a large non-resident population. On a cost basis, the A380 may be the most efficient way to handle this traffic, which is more interested in an affordable fare on, say, a daily service than in the sort of frequent service provided by smaller aircraft on a shuttle schedule favored by US travelers. This is somewhat of the concept behind Oasis Hong Kong and the use of 747s to fly domestic flights in Japan, i.e. take a big plane, pack in the seats, and get economies of scale. I'm not saying I don't agree with the more bearish points of view, I am just saying give it time because perhaps those with a negative view are looking at it too much from the American market perspective.

Exactly, I made a notation of that in my previous post "That or inter-China flights!!"

The other problem with the A380 is it's size, taxiways and runways both need to be widened, gates need to be able to handle all of it, and passengers may try to avoid it for the crowds. Try getting your luggage with 550 people all from the same plane! :)
    nwa FOREVER!

It's funny how everyone here likes to talk about the A380 delays but there is no mention of similar problems awaiting the 787, although Wall Street is catching on:

http://www.marke****ch.com/news/story/w ... 9E8E63D%7D

You know why that is Non stop :)
    I usually keep ym mouth shut about this topic heheh.

Senga

Lol Senga, I'm glad this board is usually free of the A vs. B craziness that tends to infest A.net and such. Actually, I think if one is truly a fan of civil aviation, one should hope that any new type is successful, A380, 787, IL-96-300 or whatever. Leads to better spotting.

[quote="Nonstop2AUH"]It's funny how everyone here likes to talk about the A380 delays but there is no mention of similar problems awaiting the 787, although Wall Street is catching on:

So there are actually some non-Airbus haters in this forum? Thank God!
    Southwest Airlines- 35 Years of LUV'N You!

Ruling out any further unforeseen issues with A380, I imagine it will do okay for many years to come. Just how good? Who knows.

It does look like the 747-8 however, both pax and cargo, will be taking a small to medium size bite out of a part of the whalejet's market though.

I am guessing Emirates' near future success or difficulty with a large fleet of this type will be a significant factor.

One thing is sure though.. I don't know the answer. :)

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

i don't care what anybody says i for one can't wait to see one on the canarsie approach !
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I am sure this has been covered here before, but as it's been a fluid situation, does anyone know as of now when we might first expect to see an A380 in NYC or, for that matter, the northeast US? I am suspecting it may be a long time because as I said earlier, this isn't really the sort of market that supports its economics. Still, I'd love to see one in person and it would be cool to see it here first rather than DXB or AUH (where I used to live).

I've read that Airbus will do a North America tour with an A380 in the spring, which will include a stop at JFK.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

OUTSTANDING !!!! I'm a Boeing /Douglas guy from day one,cut my teeth on the DC-3,and the 727, but I like the look of the A330/340,(especially the 600),and I look fwd to seeing the A380 in person. Though
    I am looking fwd to the 747-8 with much more enthusiasm.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

But, knowing the history of Airbus and delays, it doesn't look like Boeing will have any where near as many delays, that is something Airbus is known for. Nearly every one of their new planes has been delayed.
    nwa FOREVER!