Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port Authority: Fourth Big Airport May Be Needed In Metro NY

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    As for LGA, when an airport that size has 50% of its traffic being RJs....it doesn't matter how many flights out of it you have a day....that's not running at capacity. You have a slot for a 50 seat RJs that could be used to a 300 passenger 767-400. Same with wasted gate space. A CRJ at the Air Canada gate where there could be a 767-300.

And that's what I think we need in NYC. I think LGA is the only airport that would grow if given the chance. Once you remove the RJ flights, you open up more chances for medium range flights.

Yea but then you compromise service for size.

Plus, many of the RJ and smaller flights, operate to and from small markets to LGA which could not feasibly fill larger planes.
    US Airways operates plenty of "low-capacity" daily flights from ALB, PVD etc.. which if you were to replace with a larger plane, would surely reduce the number of daily flights from 3 or 4 to 1, giving people less time options, and causing many of them to find alternative means of transportation, thereby "scaring" their revenue away.

There are some markets I agree with you on, but most regional markets are set up to fill flights and at the same time offer passengers multiple daily travel times. You're probably not going to fill up 1 daily MD80 or 737 SAV-LGA flight, but you may very well fill up the 3 CRJ's DL flies daily on that route.
    Plus, it's not like most airlines are flying RJ's between the same market every 15 mintues. The only "frequent" RJ market I can think of out of LGA on the same airline are the AE LGA-BOS and LGA-DCA flights, which operate I believe every 2 hours.

Regional Jets are here and will become even more predominant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing flying RJ's is more expensive per person per mile to fly than a larger airliner (i.e. assuming both are full to capacity). I'm sure if airlines could add larger planes on routes, and fill them up, they would. But, airlines can no longer afford to fly 1/2 empty planes and therefore have gone over to the RJ. By eliminating RJ flights, or making airlines cut down on them, you'd end up hurting the "legacy" carriers even more, as it would most likely force more people on LCC's and you would end up hurting the industry even more.

Quote Originally Posted by IslipWN
    Can someone say ISP????
    I know you're a big fan of ISP and all, but I think the airport is just too damn far. You're talking 50 miles fomr Manhattan. No good rail access and the NIMBYs would lose their minds.

We need something within 10 miles, I think, to make the goal effective.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Regional Jets are here and will become even more predominant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing flying RJ's is more expensive per person per mile to fly than a larger airliner (i.e. assuming both are full to capacity). I'm sure if airlines could add larger planes on routes, and fill them up, they would. But, airlines can no longer afford to fly 1/2 empty planes and therefore have gone over to the RJ. By eliminating RJ flights, or making airlines cut down on them, you'd end up hurting the "legacy" carriers even more, as it would most likely force more people on LCC's and you would end up hurting the industry even more.
    Well, it all comes down to cost.

The PA will sometimes look at gaps i their slots, and then offer incentives for airlines to either move their flights to thsoe slots, or to break up a large aircraft flight into two...so to relive congestion during busy times and spread the traffic.

I'm not sure if or how much they are implementing this, though. But things like landings fees and other incentives or deterrents in order to get airlines to fly bigger planes or whatever they desire can make a big difference.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Ten years ago there were big plans for ISP. Islip town wanted to build a new terminal on the north side of the airport similar to the likes of BUF and PVD. This was about the time the MTA rebuilt the Ronkonkoma train station and there was suppose to be a light rail system from the station to the terminal. The entire plan feel apart because Islip Town and Brookhaven town couldn't come to an agreement on costs.

As Phil said ISP really is to far from the city to be a relief airport for JFK, LGA, and EWR. It will be interesting once Southwest completes its other four gates, eight gates is a hefty amount for Southwest and they've said they could bring 100 flights a day into ISP.

Another reason I don't see ISP being a relief airport is all the low cost carriers already serving JFK and LGA. Jet Blue, Song, and AirTran's fares are the same or better then Southwest. Why spend the extra money to take the train to fly Southwest?

ISP and Southwet do a good serving the expanding population of Long Island and ISP really is a solely Long Island Airport when you look at all the angles. Southwest doesn't even list ISP as an alternative airport for NYC like they list BWI as an alt for D.C.

Plans to make Stewart into a major airport for NYC are well over 20 years old. The original plan then was to provide a (then) high Speed Rail from NYC. You'd need the same now to make that work.

Floyd Bennett is never going to happen, but I don't see it as being inherently a "problem". JFK would control the airspace for both..it'd have to function as a JFK satelite of a sort.

Years ago though, I believe runway extensions (beyond what is already there) into Jamaica Bay were killed so I don't see it happening now.

Also, I suppose Governor's Island could be turned into a very small "city" airport for Dash 8s and such...but post 911, people may not like that idea at all.

The only place for expanision is JFK during the day. Years ago, back in the late 60 s or early 70s, JFK was truly at if not over capacity in the afternoons and early evenings..the Jumbos fixed that but current economics, the airlines are not going to do that at LGA. (and, as pointed out, certain service would be hurt. I see LGA and EWR at reasonable capacity right now. Should be interesting to see what happens.
    "Keep 'em Flying"