Thread: 13L spotting question

13L spotting question

I'm sure this is probably mentioned in more than one thread on here, but to save myself the time to search (can't spend too much time surfing here at work), I figured I would ask. Since there is no official location mentioned in the spotting guide, where do you guys get your shots of the 13L approaches from. I saw some good shots from last weekend (2/13) posted by Manny and others and was wondering where you guys were spotting from to get them. They look as though they are inside of airport property. Would be great to find out these locations for the next time I come down in case they switch to the 13s.

Thanks
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I'm sure this is probably mentioned in more than one thread on here, but to save myself the time to search (can't spend too much time surfing here at work), I figured I would ask. Since there is no official location mentioned in the spotting guide, where do you guys get your shots of the 13L approaches from. I saw some good shots from last weekend (2/13) posted by Manny and others and was wondering where you guys were spotting from to get them. They look as though they are inside of airport property. Would be great to find out these locations for the next time I come down in case they switch to the 13s.

Thanks
    These locations are not "official" and that is why they are not located on the spotting guide.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I've always noticed no one mentions this. I always figured it was a spot no one wants a bunch of us showing up at at the same time. So I've pretty much given up trying to figure it out. I think it's in the terminal somewhere, somwhere before you would have to enter security obviously. I tried using a ruler on a map given the line of sight the perspective shows, but I can't be sure.

Thing is, people have already shot the hell out of this location such that seeing photos taken from this spot, especially of the usual suspects landing on it, no longer have the same punch they once did. To me, anyway. I'm glad people are still having fun there but I need to start spotting at LGA anyway- never been to Plainview actually.

I see your point megatop. I will attempt to figure it out next time I come down if they're using the 13s, as I have to get at least one shot of a widebody banking in on the final turn to line up for 13L. Oh well, no biggie.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Be VERY wary of cargo plaza. We are not welcome there anymore. The last time I was there, I was boxed in by 5 PAPD rmp's.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Wasn't there another spot that was a bit further away? I remember visiting one many years ago...

There is couple locations to catch 13L traffic, unfortunately nothing what you can compare to the cargo plaza and Kenny is right we are not welcome there....

Anyway... anyone can tell me what time A380 Latehansa is scheduled to arrive on 28th ?? Hope the weather will be good cuz Im planning to take some pictures :) sorry for OT... someone could start the topic about it :P
    Living The Dream...

There are certain locations that we shouldn't discuss publicly, and we even have a rule pertaining to some of them. But you're welcome to ask people respectfully in private.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

my grandma's backyard on 124th street in south ozone park was favorite place to spot for 13L.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Guys,

There are grassy areas near N. Conduit and Lefferts BLVD overpass that are good for 13L approaches. ILS are best in afternoon and Visuals may be head on (back lit) shots or mornings after they pass your position and turn for the RWY.

http://goo.gl/maps/lrKb
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    There are certain locations that we shouldn't discuss publicly, and we even have a rule pertaining to some of them. But you're welcome to ask people respectfully in private.
    My appologies Phil. I had forgotten that this question probably shouldn't have been asked out in the open forum.

Thank you to those who have sent me PMs about some locations. You have all been very helpful.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net