Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northeast Snowstorm 1/26-1/27

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Hear JFK set to open at 8AM, LGA open and ISP around 10AM or so.
    Actually ISP open but not expecting flights till 11AM. And with the LIRR, they say delays but dont tell you that could quickly turn into a suspension. And if you can get on a train it will be slow, overcrowded and possibly might get stuck!!
    And where the heck are we putting all this snow??????

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    From the FAA Website:
    KJFK is set to "open" at 10:00AM.
    KEWR is set to "open" at 9:00AM but is closed for arrivals until 12:00PM.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

We got about 16" up in Syosset. Took about an hour and a half with the snowblower to clear the front walk and driveway. Part of the problem was all the snow on the lawn next to the driveway - I'd clear the edge of the driveway, and part of the pile would break off and fall back into the area I had just cleared.

I was out at the end of the driveway when a snowplow came through (I'm on a main street). I was trying to get as far away from the street as I could to keep from getting buried, but he had to stop to get around a pickup parked in the street a few doors down. Got the street plowed without getting too much back in the driveway!

Is it summer yet?

the weather folks miscalculated this one just a bit. We were only supposed to get about 4 inches here in Cambridge Mass and we got a foot. So tired of this winter.

Same story here in eastern CT. Weatherman said 4-10" statewide and we got 18" in my town and a town only 15-20 miles north of us got 22".
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Here in HoBe I would say we got anywhere from 16 to 18 inches (maybe more). Spent the last 4 hours digging out.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

We got about 15" in Lake Grove, Long Island. I dont know where to put it anymore .. I had the piles keep falling down, and the snow blower can throw it over them. Some of the piles are easily over 5 feet tall ... and yeah, we still got a pretty decent amount of christmas snow under the other 45"+ we has since ... This winter is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I was out at the end of the driveway when a snowplow came through (I'm on a main street). I was trying to get as far away from the street as I could to keep from getting buried, but he had to stop to get around a pickup parked in the street a few doors down. Got the street plowed without getting too much back in the driveway!
    Wish I could say the same. Plows finally came through an hour ago twice in each direction and just loaded up the front of the driveway!! Oh well. My wife actually went into the city this morning (she had an important doctors appt she really didnt want to cancel) and after we dug out the truck and getting out of our block she made good time into and out of the city though
    she did say the streets on the Upper East Side are pretty messy.
    On an aviation side, I saw the Carolina Hurricanes team jet climbing out of FRG around 12:05PM. Looked like an Air Canada light blue Airbus and both Chopper 12 and a Cablevision 76 were also flying.

Is it summer yet?
    John the scary part is that it ISNT EVEN FEBRUARY YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info...I just got home. My car was relatively buried at LGA but it only took about 10 min to get it out..and the roads are clear.

My thanks to our good friend Jay Selman and to our own LGA777 for their help and for keeping an eye on me yesterday in CLT as I tried to get home....
    It's the fares, stupid

We got about 16" up in Syosset. Took about an hour and a half with the snowblower to clear the front walk and driveway. Part of the problem was all the snow on the lawn next to the driveway - I'd clear the edge of the driveway, and part of the pile would break off and fall back into the area I had just cleared.

Is it summer yet?
    That's starting to become a problem everywhere, the mounds of snow from past storms just keep getting higher and higher. My snow thrower can't get enough height when I'm up close to the mounds, which are now as tall as I am. There's a clipper system schedule to move in tomorrow until Sat and another possible large storm for next Tue....this is truly nuts. Hell if 2012 is true I wish it would just get here already...nothing worse then a slow painful death.

From Newsday:
    The almost 35 inches of snow that has fallen on Long Island in two storms this month not only breaks the January record, but makes this the Island's snowiest month on record, officials said Thursday.

As of Thursday morning, 34.8 inches of snow had hit the ground this month at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Before, the highest single monthly snowfall total was 32.5 inches, set in February 1966. February is typically the snowiest month on Long Island, according to the National Weather Service.

Another 19.8 inches fell in last month's blizzard, bringing the season total so far to 54.6 inches. The average Long Island winter brings 32 inches of snow. The record for snowiest winter was set in 1995 with 90.75 inches.

So far, this is the 11th snowiest winter, but we're only three-tenths of an inch shy of breaking into the top 10 by edging out 1948-49.