Thread: Slow Fuel Trucks and Other Airport Commutes

Slow Fuel Trucks and Other Airport Commutes

Every morning on my way to the Marine Air Terminal at LGA, I approach going west on the Grand Central. Instead of dealing with congestion getting off at the MAT/82nd Street exit, I usually get off at the earlier main airport exit, and take the perimeter road around the beginning of rwy 4.

Though it does speed up my commute, I always end up behind a fuel truck that seems unable (or unwilling) to exceed 5mph. So annoying during that long road with no room to go around. I'm sure a Port cop will pop-up just as I try to cross the double-yellow.

I just wanted to vent. Anyone else have similar airport commutes?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Slow Fuel Trucks and Other Airport Commutes

Nah...when I get taken to the airport its generally by limo so I don't worry about that stuff ;)

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

phil, i don't think they're allowed to go any faster than they do on the perimeter roads because of that turn. (almost) empty fuel trucks tend to slosh what little fuel is left making them very top heavy.

i always get stuck behind some idiot livery cabbie that has to slam on his breaks every 20 seconds on the BQE. lately i've been taking the LIE to the GCP and then going up to LGA becase i'm picking someone up from her house near lefrak city so it's not all that bad. but the cabbies are the worst! i'd also love to know why that light by the BP station ia ALWAYS red when i pull up to it, no matter from what direction.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

During busy periods at night I can be either on the M60 or Employee Bus and after leaving the US terminal the road between US and the CTB can back up due to conjestion on the roadways at the CTB. It has not happened lately but probably around 25 times in the last 12 months this has delayed me anywhere from 15 to 45 mins and it really 'Grinds my Gears". Seems like it usually happens after a stressfull night or when I have to be back at 0430/0500 and it's already after 2200.

Good post Phil.

Regards

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    While not an airport commute, every morning I take the van wyck from JFK all the way up to the LIE. And well, you know how much fun that is :roll: I feel your frustration

They just have some horrible drivers. I used to get stuck behind them when I worked at LGA.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

I hate when pilots don't use their taxi lights to indicate they are ready to taxi or received permission too...

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    I hate when pilots don't use their taxi lights to indicate they are ready to taxi or received permission too...
    it's worse when they taxi out to the runway with ALL thier lights on, including strobes. i've been blinded on the ramp a few times in the pre-dawn hours. happens more with GA pilots though...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Every morning on my way to the Marine Air Terminal at LGA, I approach going west on the Grand Central. Instead of dealing with congestion getting off at the MAT/82nd Street exit, I usually get off at the earlier main airport exit, and take the perimeter road around the beginning of rwy 4.

Though it does speed up my commute, I always end up behind a fuel truck that seems unable (or unwilling) to exceed 5mph. So annoying during that long road with no room to go around. I'm sure a Port cop will pop-up just as I try to cross the double-yellow.

Well, at least it isn't a government car you are behind :shock:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan