Thread: First Passenger Flight to Antarctica Makes Historic Landing

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

First Passenger Flight to Antarctica Makes Historic Landing

WILKINS RUNWAY, Antarctica — Australian scientists landed on an ice runway in Antarctica on Friday, officially opening a new air link between Australia and the white continent.

An Airbus A319 became the first passenger aircraft to land on the 2.5-mile-long Wilkins Runway, inaugurating a weekly service from the southern city of Hobart that will run during the summer season between October and March.

The flight — which will carry scientists and is not open to tourists — means Australia has joined other Antarctic nations, including the United States, that have regular air contact with scientific bases there.

It also heralds a new era of Australian research in the Antarctic, with a 4.5-hour flight now an alternative to a five-week sea voyage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321936,00.html
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Re: First Passenger Flight to Antarctica Makes Historic Landing

Wow I would live to visit Antarctica.

Anyone knwo the reg of the A319?
    Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    Anyone knwo the reg of the A319?
    VH-VHD operated by SkyTraders.

http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=17

Video:
    [youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVY2tkxe0bM[/youtubeWho knew the ex-lead singer of Midnight Oil is now the Australian Environment Minister?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I was pained to have them show the aircraft descending through its last 15 feet, but NOT show the actual touchdown. I wanted to see that badly on the ice!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i wonder how thick the ice has to be to support the weight of the airplane/ fuel/ pax etc... i don't think she's all that light, they've got to carry round trip fuel on the trip. also, wonder what thier reserves are and what they finally bingo at.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Is the runway on land or on water? If it's the former, the thickness of the ice isn't all that important. The BBC story about the landing had the B-roll that included both the touchdown itself (just a little plume of snow behind it), and also footage of a ski-equipped Casa 212 taking off.

The trip from Hobart to the base is a shade over 2100 miles. They obviously don't have a conventional pax load, and I'd imagine they weight restrict any cargo in order to ensure they have enough fuel for the 4250-mile round trip. Also, don't assume they have to tanker fuel. The US operates a fairly sizable (ship-supplied) fuel farm at McMurdo to operate the base facilities there and to refuel the LC-130s and unmodified C-17s that supply the station.

Good info, Mateo. Thanks.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I would imagine anti skid is a no go item on these trips. ;) I would be intrested to know if they require diffrent from standard breakaway thrust settings to get the gup moving.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"