Thread: Is SAM 28000 Leaving the Air Force ? ( PIC)

Is SAM 28000 Leaving the Air Force ? ( PIC)

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 962&size=o

Could this a.c be leaving the US Air Force, if so I wonder where its going to go? Imagine the Cost of that thing!
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

No, she was in to Wichita for major service, and is now back up to Boeing for paint and final servicing.

And when they eventually retire her, she won't be going anywhere. There's way too much "secret sh*t" in there to make it worth decommissioning back to other use.

Thanks for posting the photo!

I was wondering there 28000 was - it hasn't been spotted in three years.

I imagine 28000 is now more equiped than 29000, so it will replace 29000 as the active Air Force One?

I wonder if it will have a new configuration and/or paint scheme. It looks like it got new engines.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    And when they eventually retire her, she won't be going anywhere. There's way too much "secret sh*t" in there to make it worth decommissioning back to other use.
    Not even for a museum? Couldn't they just take out the secret stuff a la the old USAF 707s?
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Quote Originally Posted by Winglets747
    Not even for a museum? Couldn't they just take out the secret stuff a la the old USAF 707s?
    I'm sure it will go to a museum at some point. Bobby's comment about leaving the Air Force, and where it might go sounded to me like he thought that someone else would be using it.

I wonder what kind of "Major Service" she could be getting - perhaps an updated interior?, because the last time i checked that thing looked like it came from the 90s inside.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    I wonder what kind of "Major Service" she could be getting - perhaps an updated interior?, because the last time i checked that thing looked like it came from the 90s inside.
    After 9/11, they updated 29000 with a video conference room - probably 28000 will have one too. They probably won't do much with the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    I would suspect something like a C or D-check, or whatever the equivilent in the AF (I just drove them, I didn't fix them )

ooohhhh I wonder how they select the folks to do that tear down?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"