View Full Version : Special Olympics 2014 Citation Airlift Trenton June

airaos
2014-02-05, 03:40 PM
Tour Group coming over from UK for the above, is it worth coming? Andy

RWB
2014-02-05, 04:04 PM
Tour Group coming over from UK for the above, is it worth coming? Andy
http://www.cessna.com/company-info/citation-special-olympics-airlift

A Citation business jet will land or take off every two minutes for 10 hours. I'd be there if I had the means to get there.

Cary
2014-02-05, 08:39 PM
I'm only 10 minutes away, so I may stop by if the WX is nice. Just be warned...the Mercer County Sheriffs there are not accustomed to plane spotters, and they have harassed me many times for just having a camera pointed towards the airfield from a public area. I usually never stay there more than a few minutes, because the officers on patrol always switch in and out, so even if one officer checked out my ID and continued to let me spot, another new one might come in and harass me all over again. Here are two of my more recent run ins:

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/45178-Incident-at-Trenton-Mercer-Airport-1-31-2013
http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/45581-Incident-at-Trenton-Mercer-Airport-3-30-2013

The other issue is that there are new, higher fences near the terminal, and a new modular baggage building blocking the view on one side (previously the better side). On the side without the building, there may be a Frontier plane, airstairs or other equipment blocking the gap. If the gap is clear, you will still have some fence in the bottom of your photos, for taxiing shots. Runway shots should be okay, but it's a bit distant (most likely some heat haze) and only good from about 4pm to sunset.

Two things definitely off-limits...no ladders, and no going close to the fence. I once heard law enforcement swarm an area outside the perimeter, where someone was just watching.

Mateo
2014-06-17, 08:09 PM
As it turned out, the Mercer Sheriffs were pretty decent about the whole thing (a welcome and surprising change). Herded everyone to an off-airport area near the 24 approach path and then left everyone alone. Wasn't quite the "every 2 minutes for 10 hours" thing, though - it was something like 95 total arrivals from 8:30 to about 3:45. The departure day (this upcoming Saturday) is a little bit different, from what I'm told, since most planes fly in the night before and then load and go in a prescribed order mostly in the morning.

The UK tour group (there may have been multiple)... well, they were a UK tour group, and if you've ever had Aeroprints or any of those other outfits invade your home turf, then you know what I'm talking about.

Gerard
2014-06-17, 09:58 PM
change) Wasn't quite the "every 2 minutes for 10 hours" thing, though - it was something like 95 total arrivals from 8:30 to about 3:45. The departure day (this upcoming Saturday) is a little bit different, from what I'm told, since most planes fly in the night before and then load and go in a prescribed order mostly in the morning.

Locals must love that!!