PDA

View Full Version : DOJ and AA/US Arrive at Settlement for Merger Agreement

NickPeterman
2013-11-12, 01:32 PM
So, it will be happening after all...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/11/12/justice-merger-american-us-airways/3506367/

52 slot pairs to be divested at DCA. 44 of these are AA/US flights, and 8 of them are currently leased for JetBlue flights. JetBlue now gets the chance to bid and own these slots. 17 slot pairs divested from LGA-12 are AA/US, 5 are currently leased by Southwest. AA/US also gives up 2 gates at BOS, ORD, DAL, LAX, MIA. Furthermore they make commitments to CLT, PHX, ORD, JFK, LAX, MIA to maintain service at "historical levels" for the next 3 years.

US states on their website that the merger is to close in December. This will be interesting to watch, especially for me in the Dallas area. With friends at AA, and with an obviously huge hub and the eventual HQ of the combined entity, it will be interesting to see what changes are ahead.

Is it too much to hope for an A330 or two out of DFW ;)

megatop412
2013-11-12, 09:13 PM
They will be keeping Philly as a hub. For now.

LGA777
2013-11-12, 09:38 PM
megatop412 Philly is a cash cow its not going anywhere !

megatop412
2013-11-12, 10:09 PM
megatop412 Philly is a cash cow its not going anywhere !

And with the New York AA hub just to the north and the US hub to our south in CLT, I wouldn't count my chickens just yet. I can already imagine the press release...."in an effort to remain competitive in the challenging East Coast market, we have decided to blah blah blah streamline our operations blah blah maximize operational efficiencies..."

Look at what happened to PIT(or even LGA for that matter, despite their brand new terminal there)

gonzalu
2013-11-14, 10:29 AM
Meh... LGA needs a complete ground up restoration ... a unified terminal, and for goodness sakes, tear down those ugly ass hangars or at least dress them up from the street view. If they need help, hire someone from Vegas because all those facades on the strip are fake on top of regular skeleton structures. It's a fantasy and LGA can use it... Last time I was forced to fly through there to AVL and it was HORRIBLE. My daughter put it best: "This place is a dump"

Mateo
2013-11-14, 11:25 AM
A new CTB is coming to LGA, expected in the 2019-2020 timeframe, but C and D won't be touched.

gonzalu
2013-11-14, 04:04 PM
By 2019 and 2020 NYC could be an apocalyptic wasteland... let's hope it survives that long.

megatop412
2013-11-14, 07:17 PM
By 2019 and 2020 NYC could be an apocalyptic wasteland... let's hope it survives that long.
Personally, my hope is for an "Escape From New York" scenario, my favorite movie of all time:biggrin:

LGA777
2013-11-15, 09:49 AM
Manny those ugly ass hangars are coming down. The unmarked former TWA one starting in January and then the United next door in March. The historic AA ones will survive a little longer, probably a few a years but they to will need to go to make room for the new CTB. And one thing some of us actually appreciate is the old school airline logo's that are on them. The United hangar has UA and DL wordmarks from the 60's, and AA plus logo from the 50's. At what other airport can you find those? The ugly windows in front of the AA hangars were once AA's headquarters before moving to Manhattan and later DFW. So different strokes for different folks, lots of us like preservation of airline history. Oh and DL's new hub in Terminal's C & D (C also used by US and WS) is anything but a dump, very modern and beautiful and though overpriced IMO now has a HUGE and growing variety of dining options. And finally below is map of what LGA is planned to look like when is all is finished.

http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/New_LGA_terminal_RFI.jpg (http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/New_LGA_terminal_RFI.jpg)

My two cents

LGA777

Mateo
2013-11-15, 10:32 AM
And finally below is map of what LGA is planned to look like when is all is finished.
http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/New_LGA_terminal_RFI.jpg

This is the reference design. The design-builder that the Port chooses is allowed to put any design on the site that fits the PA's criteria (X contact stands, Y parking spaces, Z-width taxi lanes). There's not a whole lot of flexibility, but there's flexibility, so the final product will look similar, but not exact.

gonzalu
2013-11-15, 06:10 PM
Actually I have absolutely nothing but love for the nostalgia... I was very upset about the old tower being torn down. I also did not like the Pan Am port being shredded to pieces. I love the old signeage but the buildings are ugly and not aesthetic especially where they sit and how they sit. I wouldn't mind preserving the facades and placing them INSIDE a larger modern building... Think of what the Brooklyn Museum did and you know what I mean...