PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Departure or TNNIS Departure?

Speedbird1
2013-09-10, 10:03 AM
As a fan of tennis, I was wondering about the so-called "Tennis Departure" used at LGA to avoid over-flying the USTA Tennis Center. After doing research, I find that TNNIS is a fixe near the north shore of Long Island just northeast of LGA and has nothing to do with the Tennis Center avoidance plan doing tournaments. Can't figure what using the TNNIS fixe has to do with avoiding the Tennis Center. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

PhilDernerJr
2013-09-10, 02:58 PM
Departure patterns are often named after a waypoint or fix that the plane will go to, with each departure pattern having a specific way to get there.

TNNIS is indeed named after the US Open and noise abatement for it. The TNNIS waypoint itself is not helping for noise abatement, but it is the procedure that the plane uses to get to that waypoint that does.

For TNNIS, the difference is that planes departing runway 13 go straight out on runway heading (heading 134) and make a left turn after a little bit, therefore avoiding the tennis stadium, which is usually overflown on the . This is opposed to the "Maspeth", "Coney" or "Whitestone" climbs on the "LGA 4" departure pattern, which usually has aircraft turn directly south after becoming airborne and flying over Flushing Meadows.

yankees368
2013-09-10, 04:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/nyregion/planes-roar-from-above-creates-a-rumble-on-the-ground.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0