PDA

View Full Version : Cedarhurst Park 9/5/13

Delta777LR
2013-09-06, 02:13 AM
Since I didnt see no one by Coscos earlier I went to Cedarhurst Park near the LIRR station. Shortly after the Avianca A330 comes, I see a guy walking 2 dogs in the park along with drinking a 12oz Budweiser in the park and he happened to be circling and staring at me for the last few minutes, then he approaches me and asks me "Why are u taking pictures of airplanes?" my respond "Its my hobby and thats what I love" then he takes out his cell phone and started taking pictures of me, and I ask whats that all about? Why are u photographing me? and he just walks away out the park and contiuned staring at me. then 10 or 15 minutes later. I see 2 NCPD cruisers stop and park at the LIRR station i manage to just get up from the bench and approached them. And the 2 officers asked me very nicely if everything is ok. I went up to them to complain about what the guy did. I told them that I was just sitting at the park taking pictures of the planes and explained what happened. And the officers mention that what the guy did was totaly wrong and I was more than ok to take all the pictures I want, and the good part is that they knew who I was. They said if anything goes wrong to reach them. Half hour after I went to a deli to get a Pepsi. The guy is there with his gf and the gf follows behind me also taking photos of me. "I said listen u need to stop taking pictures of me, u do not have any of my permission for either u or your bf to take photos of me, thats harrasment!" then I decided im just gonna leave and head to T5.. This was insane.. I was out there even though I had back pains, i didnt need that crap from anyone..

Zee71
2013-09-06, 05:42 AM
Sergio .... Glad to hear everything worked out okay but seems like the guy and his girl are both idiots. The only other thing I would have told the guys girlfriend is that the cops stated what your boy friend did was not right. Sometimes the best thing to do is to walk away and not be confrontational.

Landing Lights
2013-09-06, 07:27 AM
Sadly, while public perception of our hobby has greatly improved over the last 10 years, there are still some ignorant idiots out there who think that we are somehow going to do harm. I thought you handled it pretty well Sergio, and its always good to see when the police have our backs.

Oh, and I'm thinking that they just wanted pictures of your sexy body Sergio! :wink: Damn paparazzi...

lijk604
2013-09-06, 08:42 AM
Glad to see you are making a quick recovery Sergio

yankees368
2013-09-06, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the 5 Towns, buddy!

Gerard
2013-09-06, 09:41 PM
Since I didnt see no one by Coscos earlier I went to Cedarhurst Park near the LIRR station. Shortly after the Avianca A330 comes, I see a guy walking 2 dogs in the park along with drinking a 12oz Budweiser in the park ..

Should have had the cops hassle him for open container law!! Bust his chops also!! What a dope!!

megatop412
2013-09-06, 11:15 PM
I'm thinking we need to start a new, fresh response to these incidents. Going forward, when asked 'why' I'm taking pictures, of anything, I will say '5 bucks and the answer is yours'. In this way, being questioned will allow me to save up for some nice glass. I don't answer questions for free anymore.

That guy sounded like a real *********, Sergio. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some meathead I went to high school with

Delta777LR
2013-09-07, 12:39 AM
see the one thing, i was being polite but after taking photos of me, thats when I had to open my mouth. I dont take that kind of crap. And when I told NCPD about it he was already gone. I wish I would have had them looking for him anyway. The guy is lucky still that I didnt take photos of him with my own Canon, or else I would have made it look ugly for him

snydersnapshots
2013-09-09, 12:45 AM
The guy is lucky still that I didnt take photos of him with my own Canon, or else I would have made it look ugly for him
A couple of shots of him with the open container might have interested your buddies from the police department.

Delta777LR
2013-09-09, 01:28 AM
A couple of shots of him with the open container might have interested your buddies from the police department.

I actually thought about that. but he finished it before everything got started

captmjk16
2013-09-10, 11:46 PM
x2 on the "open container" shot, it worked out quite well for me at the football game on Saturday where I almost had to put someone on their back. Regardless, glad to hear it worked out well with the fuzz Sergio!

Speedbird1
2013-09-11, 09:32 AM
Sorry you had this confrontation for doing your hobby. I know the feeling as I was harrassed by a TSA guy last week at LGA for taking photos. My day was ruined and I won't return until Kids' Day. I don't understand when you said that the cops recognized you. Did they bother you before? Do you have a press ID? The intoxicated guy should have minded his own business. Unfortunately, people still think that it's illegal to take photos of aircraft from public areas. I always get strange looks even at the beach for photographing jets. I cannot tell you all the times I was humiliated and ordered to leave for taking photos. Don't give-up your hobby for idiots. The public is told if you see something suspicious, report it, so we have problems!

gonzalu
2013-09-11, 09:50 AM
I wish that had happened during UN week when all of us were around to show up BEHIND the GF and BF and see how they felt being harassed... muahaha

yankees368
2013-09-11, 09:56 AM
I wish that had happened during UN week when all of us were around to show up BEHIND the GF and BF and see how they felt being harassed... muahaha

You evil, Manny! :-)

captmjk16
2013-09-11, 06:22 PM
That's the best idea I've heard yet Manny!

Jared Blech
2013-09-12, 12:31 AM

Put an external flash on-top and put shutter mode to highest... Right in their faces!

Delta777LR
2013-09-12, 02:02 AM
Sorry you had this confrontation for doing your hobby. I know the feeling as I was harrassed by a TSA guy last week at LGA for taking photos. My day was ruined and I won't return until Kids' Day. I don't understand when you said that the cops recognized you. Did they bother you before? Do you have a press ID? The intoxicated guy should have minded his own business. Unfortunately, people still think that it's illegal to take photos of aircraft from public areas. I always get strange looks even at the beach for photographing jets. I cannot tell you all the times I was humiliated and ordered to leave for taking photos. Don't give-up your hobby for idiots. The public is told if you see something suspicious, report it, so we have problems!

These are things we are always gonna deal with like it or not. Like said before many still dont understand the hobby of aviation. And to answer your question about how they recognize me, I have mention about our group to them, thats how they were familiar, they didnt come up to me. I went to them, because I felt uncomfortable having some Jack@@#$ taking photos of me without my knowledge along with drinking a beer at the park. The PD didnt gave me a hard time what so ever. They said I was allowed to take photos of planes from there and i was perfectly ok. Citizens anywhere you go are always gonna try to be so called Captain America! Meaning they wanna be heroes. It's part of life. And Im sorry you had the encounter by TSA at LGA, but I wouldn't let it ruin my day. Me I felt uncomfortable what happened that day but I just stayed taking all the shots as I want. Like it all not. Why? because im in a public park. remember what was ruled out a few years ago. 1st Amendment by the supreme court, stating that you can take picture of anything in public property, but as far as people goes. I would think thats disrespectful. Post 9/11 many has changed in peoples minds when it comes to people taking photos of airplanes. People that half of the time see that considered that suspicion now a days.

Gerard
2013-09-12, 06:36 PM
Citizens anywhere you go are always gonna try to be so called Captain America! Meaning they wanna be heroes.

George Zimmerman!!

Delta777LR
2013-09-13, 01:07 AM
George Zimmerman!!

There you go!! lol

N75715
2013-09-13, 01:11 PM
Nice job, Serg! some day we might educate the ignorant. Hurray for the cops backing us. that's great!

captmjk16
2013-09-13, 06:34 PM
Put an external flash on-top and put shutter mode to highest... Right in their faces!

The external flash I've got for the old Konica-Minolta can fire at something like 100 hZ for strobe effects, it'd have been one hell of a tool for that type of payback!