PDA

View Full Version : JFK 5-6-13 [T5 Garage]

yankees368
2013-05-06, 10:09 PM
Here we go again! Basically the same story but with a twist:

Was getting the 13L arrivals from the garage with Mark, and I noticed an FJC employee pass by us in a circle a few times. 5, 6, 7 times, I lost count after 10. Eventually, he stops (gathered the courage?) and tells us no photography. We rebutted something along the lines of "there is no rule against photography here," but of course that didn't matter to Mr. FJC. There was some back and forth with the guy about port authority "authorization," or that we needed authority to take pictures, which we know is bunk.
After a while, the guy calls his supervisor on his personal cell phone, comes back and tells us he spoke to the port authority and they said no photography. Sure he did. He spoke to an FJC supervisior, I'm sure.
Said supervisor was called up to the garage, who echoed the same nonsense as the first guy. "No photography without authorization." We kept doing our thing, and the supervisor called the PAPD.
About 5 minutes later, PAPD responded and talked to us. We explained what we were doing and that we know we were within our rights, and the officer had no problems with it. He was just responding to FJCs call of "suspicious persons."
We chatted for a few moments, and the PAPD officer agreed that we were well within our rights to photograph from where we were, and that FJC is a pain in the ass. He did not kick us out, and said we could stay where we were, but maybe find another spot, away from the FJC drones.
On his way out, the PAPD officer talked to the FJC guys for a few moments, but no idea what they said.

Fun, right?

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/yankees369/IMG_20130506_200426_zpsbb0b8a10.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/yankees369/media/IMG_20130506_200426_zpsbb0b8a10.jpg.html)

moose135
2013-05-06, 10:26 PM
A hassle for sure, but at least the PAPD officer knew the real deal. That's a good sign!

Zee71
2013-05-06, 10:27 PM
I wish there were more PAPD guys like the guy that came up to T5! I am glad Jason and I stood strong and didn't give in as we knew we were doing nothing wrong. Another win for the spotters!

wunaladreamin
2013-05-06, 11:36 PM
You have a great arse Mark lol.

megatop412
2013-05-06, 11:42 PM
You have a great arse Mark lol.
OMG LOL

Jared Blech
2013-05-06, 11:45 PM
NYCA Spotters: +1
FJC Rentacops: -1
Go spotters!

Delta777LR
2013-05-07, 12:08 AM
Spotters Win!!! final score: unknown

captmjk16
2013-05-07, 12:23 AM
Glad to hear the real officer set things straight!

Delta777LR
2013-05-07, 12:27 AM
if they could remind FJC more often that it was ok, things would be sweet

hiss srq
2013-05-07, 04:54 AM
Great job by PAPD, FJC is not the brightest batch out there.

Delta777LR
2013-05-07, 10:06 AM
I figured in a way that e FJC pretty much see the same people up on T5. Why in a way continue to break our guts

Roush6NY
2013-05-07, 10:08 AM
AMEN!

steve1840
2013-05-07, 10:15 AM
Awesome!!!

Landing Lights
2013-05-07, 10:27 AM
I was glad to see a positive resolution to this over Twitter yesterday evening. This "authorization" thing seems to be their new mantra, and may come from a requirement that MEDIA pre-register with PANYNJ and receive permission before using Port facilities, something which was pointed out to me by another NYCAer. We are obviously not media except in the absolute broadest sense of the word.

Great job Jason and Mark, thanks for fighting the good fight.

yankees368
2013-05-07, 10:40 AM
If anyone wants to have a discussion with FJC, here is their info for JFK:

JFK Airport
JFK Cargo Center 75
Room 228
Jamaica, NY 11430
Phone: (718) 244-1400
Fax: (718) 244-7315

Landing Lights
2013-05-07, 12:15 PM
If anyone wants to have a discussion with FJC, here is their info for JFK:

Sadly, I have a feeling that as individuals any discussion would be like teaching a pig to sing: it would waste our time and annoy the pig. However if a group of us were to get together we might have more luck.

RomNYC
2013-05-07, 01:06 PM
All this reminds me of Phil's intervention a few months back with that board/committee (I forget the actual institution's name). Any update on that?

Landing Lights
2013-05-07, 01:11 PM
I believe you are referring to when he spoke at the public meeting of the Port Authority board. Other than that, I haven't heard much since Phil mentioned that it was in the hands of PANYNJ Legal a few months ago.

kc2aqg
2013-05-07, 04:43 PM
I have to say I am impressed with the way folks are handling these overbearing security guards, and even more so that PAPD is siding with us spotters. That's like the first time in pretty much...ever, right?? Great job, and further proof that Phil and other's long advocated approach of diplomacy and knowing your rights pays off. Well done guys, looking forward to my next trip to the T5 parking garage when I'm up there next!

PhilDernerJr
2013-05-07, 07:22 PM
This is a great sign. PANYNJ's legal dept is still dealing with that, but I am sure that discussions have been had and some word has gotten around as a result. Regardless of where the progress came from, this is some good news.

The best part is that even though we are exercising our rights, we are doing so in a peaceful, cooperative and respectful manner. Good job, guys.

Jared Blech
2013-05-07, 08:45 PM
This is a great sign. PANYNJ's legal dept is still dealing with that, but I am sure that discussions have been had and some word has gotten around as a result. Regardless of where the progress came from, this is some good news.

The best part is that even though we are exercising our rights, we are doing so in a peaceful, cooperative and respectful manner. Good job, guys.

AMEN TO THAT

Delta777LR
2013-05-08, 03:05 AM
Agree with that Phil! After talking with Jason and Mark earlier today, I gave them pops! they did say the PAPD officers were nice and I give the credit to that as well. Things are getting better little by little. I saw someone tonight taking aircraft photos at T5 at the bridge that goes from the airtrain to the terminal, Ive watched TSA and a few security personell pass by and didnt encouter that person. Yes im seeing good signs. in my opinion, the FJC security services is mostly still we gotta worry about. again to Mark and Jason, great job with the encounter!

Landing Lights
2013-05-08, 07:32 AM

I am now a firm believer that this is the only way to properly handle these situations. Security is going to do whatever they are going to do, up to and including calling the cops. However once PAPD gets there, it is out of FJC's hands. I think it is a bit telling that the cops are siding with us spotters as opposed to backing up FJC by some means. They could easily just ask us to leave because they don't want us loitering up there so as not to make security look bad, but they don't. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of conflict behind the scenes between these two groups.

And a big thanks to Phil for being such a tireless leader and advocating for the calm but firm method. I know it kept me from getting a bit hot-headed the other night.

gonzalu
2013-05-08, 08:55 AM
Part of the fun is now gone. It was cool to be on the lookout for FJC... now we won't have a challenge. How sad :tongue:

I kid. Nice job guys... although [we] sure softened them up on 9-11-2011! jejeje

yankees368
2013-05-08, 09:16 AM
Part of the fun is now gone. It was cool to be on the lookout for FJC... now we won't have a challenge. How sad :tongue:

I kid. Nice job guys... although [we] sure softened them up on 9-11-2011! jejeje

I probably helped with the Secret Service, right? No?

abandagale
2013-07-15, 11:08 PM
9/11/2011!!! that was quite an experience... I initially thought those snipers were for Sam Chui's protection :)