PDA

View Full Version : 5/1/13 - JFK Positive Experience

TJK
2013-05-01, 09:23 PM
Admittedly I was on the airport premises, but in a public area that I will leave nameless to protect the person who works there who said he didn't care if I shot some photos. A PAPD cop in a truck drove up in front of my car, and the officer walked over to my car. Apparently someone on a rooftop of one of the buildings thought my photography was suspicious (I was having dinner while taking photos, so after I took the photos I'd get back into my car to nosh) so he was coming by just to see what was going on. I offered him some fries and offered to show him my photos and that while I was generally aiming over the top of a building I was specifically not shooting anything but the inbound aircraft. He was a little skeptical that I could get a decent photo (it was heat hazy so honestly he had a point), but I quickly scrolled through a handful of photos to show him I was being truthful with him. He said "Cool, pal. Enjoy while it's still light." And went on his way. He was courteous, I was courteous, I got a few (very few) decent photos. Everyone goes home happy.

megatop412
2013-05-01, 09:51 PM
Give that officer a cee-gar!!! Well played

TJK
2013-05-01, 09:54 PM
Give that officer a cee-gar!!! Well played

Night and day between the real law enforcement professionals investigating and then exercising discretion and the garage patrolling (emphasis on "troll") rent a cops. I was pleased to see the courtesy first approach work out so well.

Dabbey
2013-05-01, 10:06 PM
But what's the big deal about photograph of aircraft on the ground or the terminal/runway environment? Is there in fact a policy against that, or is that conjecture? Glad your experience was a good one. Ill remember to bring fries next time. Good tip!

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-05-01, 10:10 PM
Ya gotta love them "feel good" spotting stories!

Delta777LR
2013-05-02, 12:37 AM
Funny I was at Bayswater and about 3pm, 3 NYPD officers showed up while I was shooting they were looking for someone and they didnt question me about what I was doing which I thought was odd and left within 4 minutes.

Jared Blech
2013-05-02, 09:58 AM
I have a question, Before bayswater "officialy closed in 2010, were there like park rangers and food carts or is it like what it is now??

moose135
2013-05-02, 10:23 AM
You would occasionally see a parks department worker (more likely groundskeepers, not rangers) at Bayswater. Although it never happened to me, some folks were told that they could not take photos, and that police would be called, but I don't recall any follow through on those threats. There were never food carts or other amenities at the park - the only food was what you might talk an fisherman out of...

Zee71
2013-05-02, 10:15 PM
I recall a couple of years ago there was a groundskeeper who stated photo's weren't allowed. So I educated him, but telling him he was wrong, and the parks department website stated that photography was okay and you didn't need a permit unless you were shooting for commercial work. After I stated that he said okay. For time to time I do see the groundskeeper guy at Bayswater and we always strike up a conversation, and photography is never an issue with him.

Gerard
2013-05-02, 10:55 PM
Funny I was at Bayswater and about 3pm, 3 NYPD officers showed up while I was shooting they were looking for someone and they didnt question me about what I was doing which I thought was odd and left within 4 minutes.

Probably didnt fit the description of the perp and you werent shooting with a gun!! Not sure how that neighborhood has changed, havent been there in awhile but some of its resident dont use cameras to shoot despite
what Bloomberg wants!!