PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am to relaunch again??

Delta777LR
2013-04-26, 12:32 AM
I was reading this link and my eyes went open wide and seeing this news. Pan Am to be back in Q4 2013/2014. Personally I don't see this happening... If true, what aircraft would they get?

http://www.eturbonews.com/34553/will-pan-am-be-back-early-2014

megatop412
2013-04-26, 08:14 AM
This link was posted on another famous aviation site(you can guess who it is) and all it was was a bunch of whiners complaining that they weren't interested in seeing the brand flop again. You would have thought they all would have rather had an appointment with the dentist. How can you say you're not interested in seeing the blue meatball fly again?!?!?!

(In my best Fire Marshal Bill voice)Let me tell you something. If Paul McCartney and Ringo Star said they were going to form The Beatles 2.0 with different musicians, I'd be damn interested in what that sounded like.

moose135
2013-04-26, 09:25 AM
But this isn't McCartney and Starr putting a band together. This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo. This is the RAILROAD that owns the rights to the name using that name on some low-cost start-up operation that will have nothing in common with the original Pan Am save for that logo. This isn't the "return of Pan Am" - it is one more attempt to capitalize on the name recognition of an old brand to attract people to fly on an airline that they otherwise wouldn't.

And while I might listen to a band that McCartney and Starr put together, I sure wouldn't think it was the Beatles, regardless of what they called it.

Jared Blech
2013-04-26, 11:00 AM
But this isn't McCartney and Starr putting a band together. This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo. This is the RAILROAD that owns the rights to the name using that name on some low-cost start-up operation that will have nothing in common with the original Pan Am save for that logo. This isn't the "return of Pan Am" - it is one more attempt to capitalize on the name recognition of an old brand to attract people to fly on an airline that they otherwise wouldn't.

And while I might listen to a band that McCartney and Starr put together, I sure wouldn't think it was the Beatles, regardless of what they called it.
True that!

wunaladreamin
2013-04-26, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't fly them but dammit I would shoot them.

megatop412
2013-04-26, 11:30 AM

But Moose we are talking about an airline start up using the same name, not a wine and cheese store, so its the same product category. I don't think anyone really believes it would become the same Pan Am, just like a new Beatles wouldn't be the same as the old. Bottom line is, your ticket still says 'pan am' on it. I think my point was that it will be interesting to see what happens, instead of just being jaded and instantly downplaying the effort that would go into it. So what that it's statistically unlikely. People said the same thing to Richard Branson.

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-04-26, 01:56 PM
...This has no connection to the Pan Am of old, except for the name and logo...

"Except" for the name and logo? Air travel IS consumerism and consumerism is all about brand recognition, perception and the logo. Remember how many people got their panties all in a bunch when AA recently walked away from their logo of 45 years? Branding and packaging play an integral role in any purchasing decision. Especially when you are trying to differentiate yourself in a market where the product is basically the same across the board (like air travel).

That said, the PAA trademark stood for quality and represented high level service and customer experience. I think the new PA should grab on to that. Maybe market to First Class and Business class. Or, offer higher quality service than "the other guy" for the same price (Virgin America).

I think people still know what that blue globe stands for. The TV show was a testament to this. The original PAA was the antithesis of the low-end ("SPIRIT") carriers of today. If the new were to position themselves in that space, I think the public would eventually realized they're being duped.

727C47
2013-04-26, 04:37 PM
you know in their last incarnation they were a bottom feeding 727 outfit that no one would touch with a 10 foot pole,but it was still awesome to see the blue ball flying.

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-04-26, 07:05 PM
you know in their last incarnation they were a bottom feeding 727 outfit that no one would touch with a 10 foot pole,but it was still awesome to see the blue ball flying.

Yep, I remember that. That's one reason why I say they should take the high road next time.

clear_prop
2013-04-27, 02:29 AM
Pan Am v7.0, because the previous six versions worked out so well.

(I think the count is up to seven companies trying to build an airline on the Pan Am name. Not all the tries got around to actually flying the name.)

hiss srq
2013-04-27, 05:10 AM
I will admit I flew the last re incarnation of Pan Am from SFB to BQN and back.... And I will fly on the next one too if it makes it off the ground as well.

cancidas
2013-04-27, 09:29 AM
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00012244.jpg

i still think that would look really cool! well we can always dream. i'm too young to remember flying on them but the company was where mu uncle got his start in aircraft mx and ended his career with american. personally, i think it would be really control a/c in my airspace using a 'clipper' callsign.

lijk604
2013-04-27, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't fly them but dammit I would shoot them.

Even if it was a 777? Or....shudder to think, an A380??? :tongue:

wunaladreamin
2013-04-27, 02:49 PM
Even if it was a 777? Or....shudder to think, an A380??? :tongue:
Well then I'd shoot it once just to say I did lol.

Delta777LR
2013-04-28, 10:16 PM
I think the color would really look nice on a 787. Ive always loved Pan Am. If the airline was is gonna maybe come back, it will never be the same, no 747s, 727s:frown:. I still think alot of it doesnt make since as stated before.

moose135
2013-04-29, 06:50 PM
Over at Big Blue, someone posted a link to their web site...

http://www.paaglobal.com/

Apparently, they don't have rights to the classic Pan Am logo, or at least they aren't using it yet. On their "About Us" page, they say:

Welcome to Pan American Airways Global
PAA Global, based in Cherry Hill, New Jersey , is an airline holding company that owns Pan Am Airways, Pan American Global Airways, P21 Air, Blue Sky Airlines, and Clipper Cargo airfreight and logistics as well. Our business strategy was developed by our experienced and seasoned team of senior airline executives. The company’s business model incorporates sound business strategies and insights for the development and management of airlines operating throughout the United States, and abroad. We are professionals that take the business of flying on a passionate level, and equally welcome any challenge with compassion.

Shaping a Future
Pan American strives to be the industry-leading provider of safe, clean, reliable and cost-efficient air service. Pan American Global aircraft are deployed under our network partners' brands as well as our wholly owned subsidiary Blue Sky Airlines to provide service to existing markets, open new markets and support a schedule of convenient, reliable and frequent flights. PAA Global will continue to build customer loyalty and brand preference for our airline partners through consistent, seamless customer service. For our employees, beyond offering competitive compensation and benefits, we strive to make our company a rewarding place to work. We insist the flying public be the ultimate beneficiary of this effort.

They also talk a lot about cargo services, and ground transportation, and jet brokerage services, but not much about being an airline. On their Service Area (http://www.paaglobal.com/services/service-area/) page, they talk about Blue Sky Airways, their wholly owned subsidiary:

Blue Sky Air is currently exploring new routes in the mid Southern and Northwestern Florida communities. In addition, the following service areas are being explored for future market presence within our system :

Alabama

Huntsville
Birmingham
Mobile

Florida

Panama City
Jacksonville
Daytona

Georgia

Athens
Peachtree-Dekalb/Atlanta
Savannah

North Carolina
South Carolina
Mississippi

Jackson

Louisiana

New Orleans
Shreveport

So, those of you expecting a return to the glory days of Pan Am, you might be disappointed.

And then, in looking at their "Service Area" page, I realized, the bastards stole my photo...

http://www.moose135photography.com/photos/i-NvTfh3P/0/X3/i-NvTfh3P-X3.jpg

http://www.moose135photography.com/Airplanes/Airliners-and-Airport-Spotting/Republic-Airport/i-fVFwT4t/1/L/JM_2008_10_18_N653CT_001-L.jpg

Cary
2013-04-29, 07:14 PM
And then, in looking at their "Service Area" page, I realized, the bastards stole my photo...

DMCA those bastards!
http://help.1and1.com/account-und-billing-c65577/legal-c70952/copyright-infringement-c70953/what-should-be-in-the-dmca-notice-a728687.html