PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the sun:)

Jared Blech
2013-04-11, 11:26 PM
It was a while back, and before my time... that The Beatles arrived at JFK's terminal 3, also known as the WorldPort. BTW Delta plans to demolish it but that is a whole other topic! But maybe as the Wonderful British band once stated, "Here comes the sun, Du dudu du"
As you all may know, summer is right around the corner, and delta is bringing back the observation deck at JFK and ATL.
Although the "Sky Deck" will be a delta sky club member (or whatever there member program is called) exclusive, apparently it will be open to people going/arriving on flights post security (tell me if I am incorrect) for around $50 per day. I was not old enough to experience the WorldPort rooftop,and I feel like this is it's revival. Maybe this post 9/11 world is finally coming to the realization that plane spotting is a fun, safe, and enjoyable hobby!
So to get to the point of this post, Maybe somebody has already done this but (don't laugh). I am considering writing to Jetblue (being a trueblue mosaic member) about this topic and see what they have to say. I know the chances of them even listening to this is lower than the chances of not getting bothered at EWR. haha. But i just wanted to hear some opinions of this idea because of the fact that if I do go ahead and write to them, I am representing our spotting community as a whole, and I am mindful and respectful of that.
Also, In one other post I was reading, somebody (don't remember who) made a very insightful thought into this whole observation deck conversation.
The person stated something like the idea that if the PA were to allow Jetblue or another airline to build a FREE spotting location ( a little awning with some benches), on top of a parking garage, terminal etc...All you need to do is place ONE officer up there and this would eliminate the need for the worried officer about the photographer next to the fence. This would also almost "give him/her the right" to bust your chops if you were doing that because you have a safe and enjoyable environment to practice our beloved hobby. Anybody have any insight, comments, other ideas?

yankees368
2013-04-11, 11:53 PM
JetBlue T5 is already a great place for spotting, although through glass.

Jared Blech
2013-04-11, 11:59 PM
I know that, just wish there was a free, pre security area... my shots from home are good, but yours are great! Do you know if you need a permit to build a ten story observation deck on top of your house? ;)

Zee71
2013-04-12, 07:20 AM
I do recall the observation desks at JFK ..... One was at the Pan Am Worldport which was great and the other was at the International Arrivals Building (IAB). I believe you paid a quarter to go to the IAB observation deck which was between the two wings of the terminal. My hope is that things improve for spotters in terms of potential spotting locations at the field, clarification of operational procedures when it come to photography, etc. It would be thrilling to have an Observation deck or area at JFK, not only for us but for that dad or mom that take their child to the airport just to watch planes and that child dreams of one day being a pilot, air traffic controller or becomes passionate with aviation just like us. We all can dream!

Jared Blech
2013-04-12, 10:02 AM
Well said Mark, I always try to bring my family when i can so i can share my passion with them. Maybe the skydeck is showing that maybe the post 9/11 world is not forgetting and we will never forget, but also maybe, just maybe, showing that the post 9/11 world will come back to realize the amazing wonders of airtravel i have watched on youtube because it was before my time. We just hope that other airlines/airports around the country follow and do the same as delta is doing.

JHNA57
2013-04-12, 04:40 PM
I do recall the observation desks at JFK ..... One was at the Pan Am Worldport which was great and the other was at the International Arrivals Building (IAB). I believe you paid a quarter to go to the IAB observation deck which was between the two wings of the terminal. ......... We all can dream!

Reading this brought back unbelievable memories.

When I first got my drivers license, one of the first places I went to with my Ford Pinto was JFK. I would park in the central lot in the center of the airport, and climb the circular stair that led to the base of the control tower. If I remember, there was a chair where a guard would sit (when he was around) at a door which I assumed was the entrance to the elevator up to the atc area of the tower. I always wanted to ask if they gave tours, but never got up the nerve.

I would then exit the other side of the base of the tower, cross the bridge over the roadway and enter the IAB. I would walk around the mezzanine that looked out over the first floor where passengers would exit from customs into the crowds who were waiting for them. I would walk into the area where there were all the shops (even a barber shop) right straight into the wall with the giant flight arrivals board. (The kind with the letters that flipped with loud clicks every few seconds).

Just before this flight board, you could go left or right into the east or west wings and more glass enclosed mezzanines that overlooked the customs hall with the long aisles that looked like supermarket checkout aisles. People would stand in the mezzanine and tap on the glass with a coin to get the attention of the passenger they were waiting for.

Going back into the main hall, at the flight board, I would walk to the right and around the back wall of the flightboard where the was a snack bar, and across from that was a glass wall looking out over the tarmac. I went through the turnstile, and pushed open the door (which was always hard to do because of the wind), and walk out onto the observation deck into the glorious smell of burning jet fuel and the sound of jet engines. This observation deck was just below the iconic JOHN F. KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT sign you saw when the Beatles or any other dignitary came to town.

Back then, there weren't jetways, and the passengers would walk out to the planes and up the boarding stairs while waving to their relatives up on the deck. The stairs would be moved away, and the engines of the 707's and DC-8's would be started with a loud siren like sound from the compressed air of the start carts.

I would sometimes spend hours here with my binoculars, leaving only to go inside for an occasional hot dog or pretzel from the snack bar.

. I sometimes forget what I had for dinner the night before, but I remember all these details like it was yesterday, not 35 years ago. Damn those were good times

Next time kiddies, I'll give you a mental tour of the inside of the Pan Am Worldport as I remember it.

Jared Blech
2013-04-12, 06:48 PM
I've never really experienced that being only an upper classman in high school. Ive also never been to the t5 parking lot before, always being afraid of being confronted by the always happy and kind PA police officers...are there ever times that a lot of guys go up there...i heard that there is strength in numbers up there.

AJ
2013-04-12, 07:43 PM
I too remember the observation deck at the IAB at JFK. I went there when my parents would pick up or drop off family members going to or coming from Europe. I can still remember that first airliner that I didn't recognize, green and blue, it was an American Eagle 707. I'll never forget it because at 14 or 15, I knew everything... but I had never heard of American Eagle, JFK was awesome. How ironic that I would see the same 707 "parked" at Marana in the early 80's when I was able to walk around freely with the blessing of "Schnoz", the Pinal Air Park, Evergreen Air manager. I probably still have his business card.

At 18, I drove out to JFK on the weekends. Forget the IAB, it was all Pan Am Worldport. I would live out of my 79' Grand Prix. Park and then run from railing to railing shooting at will, Dominicana DC-10's, Air Haiti 707's... those were the best of times! Yes, I remember the smell of airliner Jet A, the taste of burnt hot dogs, and the sting of sun burn from spending the day outside. Today, when I see another boring Jetblue A320, United 737-800, or Delta Airbus, I remember thinking the same thing with AA 727-100's, United DC-8-60's, and Air Florida 737-200's, how boring! Those were the best of times, but in 20 years, you will be saying the same about today.

This is an awesome hobby, enjoy every minute of it.

AJ

Jared Blech
2013-04-12, 08:15 PM
Thanks AJ, I feel like this is turning to a airplane withdrawal therapy session. HAHAHA
Hope to see you all out this summer!

AJ
2013-04-12, 08:27 PM
Ha ha............... awesome Jared...... so true.

AJ

Delta777LR
2013-04-13, 03:17 AM
I've never really experienced that being only an upper classman in high school. Ive also never been to the t5 parking lot before, always being afraid of being confronted by the always happy and kind PA police officers...are there ever times that a lot of guys go up there...i heard that there is strength in numbers up there.

We still have so/so issues up there every now and then mostly by the FJC Security vehicles that pass around, there are times they will say something, there are times they just pass and keep going. Ive had problems with them several times and so does a few others here. Hopefully things will get alot better soon