PDA

View Full Version : Jfk converging runway.ops

Jared Blech
2013-04-10, 11:07 AM
Hey guys, anybody know why lately, whenever the wind is coming from the south, they are not just using the usual 22l approach but using the 13l/22l approach? Its pissing me off because i'm not getting every arrival and i feel like im missing something. I feel like they are now using more often now that its warmer.

yankees368
2013-04-10, 11:09 AM
Yea, the split sucks, but it enables JFK to utilize 3 runways at the same time. Both 13L and 22L for arrivals, as well as 13R for departures.

megatop412
2013-04-10, 11:15 AM
Jared many of us have been screwed countless times by the infamous 22L/13L split. Not to mention the reverse(the lesser-known, but just as evil, 4R/31L split)

Jared Blech
2013-04-10, 12:23 PM
Ugh, i feel the pain, was trying to catch etihad f1, got screwed hard.
I didnt really see them use it all winter, now there using it non stop!
Also i saw some of the touchdown 13l shots, what parking garage is that taken from(i see three or four from google earth)
And i saw on the spotting jfk 4/8 or 4/9 forum they were shooting right next to the runway, ive done suicide shooting befor but was not able to stay right next to the runway for more than ten seconds... Somebody explain what i'm doing wrong

Landing Lights
2013-04-10, 01:07 PM
Jared many of us have been screwed countless times by the infamous 22L/13L split. Not to mention the reverse(the lesser-known, but just as evil, 4R/31L split)

At least the 4R/31L split can be shot from Bayswater. Its not ideal but its definitely doable with the proper light. 22L/13L is pretty much impossible from off-airport locations.

NickPeterman
2013-04-10, 01:58 PM
Not sure whether I should "boast" about this, but 13L was definitely shootable when Fasil and I were there in 2012. In fact, it was my favorite angle on the jets after the HoBe departure shots. That being said, the split definitely forces you to decide what it is that you want photos of.

Zee71
2013-04-10, 06:41 PM
Here's another runway split that was used that prevent Manny and me from getting the San Francisco scheme on a Swiss A340. That particular day they were using 13L for departures and 13R and 4R for arrivals. Most of the European traffic was getting vector to 4R, while the traffic from West and South was getting vectored to 13R. I made a bee line for Bayswater expecting her to get vectored to 4R, but NO! She ended up getting vectored to 13R.

Here the only shot I ever got of her as she rolls off 13R:
http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Airplanes-and-Spotting/Kennedy-JFK/i-k9KNqWs/0/L/Swiss_01_JFK_09Mar2010-L.jpg

wunaladreamin
2013-04-10, 06:52 PM
The more you're out spotting during the split, the more you'll get used to the routines and be able to predict somewhat who will go where. We're getting ever closer to the summer months, get used to it.

flyguy1
2013-04-10, 09:17 PM
This has been the procedure for many years. 22L is rarely used as the only arrival runway, except for runway closures, or off-peak times.

lijk604
2013-04-10, 10:08 PM
I've had the opportunity to meet with one of the FAA Traffic Manager's for NY as well as the FAA Eastern Region Manager. If they had their way, the "13L, 22L/R split" would be their preferred option every day.
This configuration allows for the greatest amount of traffic into & out of JFK. Their next best option is 4L/4R & 31L @ KE. Like Kenny said, as summer approaches and winds are usually between 130 & 220, you can expect to see the split regularly.

hiss srq
2013-04-13, 06:30 AM
The configuration sucks for the spotters but in ideal circumstances from just after noon onward, the best way to run JFK to keep TMAT's and flows fluid is Arrival to 13L and 22L while departing 22R and flipping the boat around 1700L to a pair of 22's with 31L at KE for west and southwest departures..... Like a few have said, you can kind of predict based on the planned arrival fixes who will go where however. Klos laid it out pretty well, a few of us are part of Dispatch with companies or in ATC and ATC management with airlines so we all feel the pain when that second departure runway does not happen at JFK.