PDA

View Full Version : TSA's latest brainstorm

NIKV69
2013-03-07, 11:26 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/tsa-to-allow-pocket-knives-on-planes/

I agree with the FA's union. A pocket knife doesn't pose a threat? The WTC was taken out with boxcutters for Pete's sake.

I try to defend to TSA because they have an impossible job but this is just plain dumb.

clear_prop
2013-03-08, 12:11 AM
Using knives to hijack a plane stopped being a viable method before the south tower even fell. The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.

There are enough other things on the allowed list that can be improvised weapons that allowing small knives and golf clubs is not changing the threat matrix at all.

tlabranche
2013-03-08, 07:44 AM
Using knives to hijack a plane stopped being a viable method before the south tower even fell. The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.

There are enough other things on the allowed list that can be improvised weapons that allowing small knives and golf clubs is not changing the threat matrix at all.

I couldn't agree more! I watched a demonstration a couple years ago by Federal Air Marshalls. They used seat belt extensions and a walking cane as weapons! They even told us about a person who went through the checkpoint in a wheelchair carrying his cane. Since they don't get normal screening, just a pat down, the agent thought it was suspicious this guy didn't want to let go of his cane. Upon questioning, they realized the cane came apart and had a sword blade inside of it. What the hell do you need a sword for on a plane? Any trained person at making improvised weapons can still cause havoc inside a cabin.

Gerard
2013-03-08, 10:43 AM
The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.

Sounds good unless you are one of those few people!! :tongue: And your throat isnt slashed or some other viable organ!! Dont need some yahoo who has too much to drink and the FAs ask him to stop and he gets his liquor
muscles on along with the blade he has with him!! Enough idiots flying we dont need them armed!!

jerslice
2013-03-08, 02:42 PM
I think what strikes me most about this policy is that short knives and golf clubs…things that can very obviously be used as weapons…have been allowed back on planes ahead of 4oz of completely harmless toothpaste, or the water in my water bottle.

emshighway
2013-03-08, 09:49 PM
I think what strikes me most about this policy is that short knives and golf clubs…things that can very obviously be used as weapons…have been allowed back on planes ahead of 4oz of completely harmless toothpaste, or the water in my water bottle.

The threat is explosives that can be hidden in that 4 oz container. I can do more damage to you with a can of coke than with a 2.36 inch knife. The mindset is different than 2001. The cockpit doors won't be open. Passengers won't be compliant. The Risk Based Screening method used now is based on the threat of a plane being taken down not taken over.

Zee71
2013-03-08, 10:34 PM
Don't worry......once the individual with the small pocket knife makes any attempt the individual will get shoed by flying passenger's shoes (next thing you'll know you'll have to check in your shoe's because they may be considered a improvised weapon). TSA just gets dumber and dumber.

Mateo
2013-03-08, 10:34 PM
The threat is explosives that can be hidden in that 4 oz container. I can do more damage to you with a can of coke than with a 2.36 inch knife. The mindset is different than 2001. The cockpit doors won't be open. Passengers won't be compliant. The Risk Based Screening method used now is based on the threat of a plane being taken down not taken over.Then why aren't guns allowed on aircraft? That's a weapon used to take over a plane, not to take it down.

NIKV69
2013-03-09, 12:22 AM
DL CEO not on board.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-57573365/delta-ceo-opposes-tsa-plan-to-allow-knives-on-jets/

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-09, 05:29 AM
A gun can take down a plane, though. A small knife cannot.

However, i'm against this because, regardless of whether or not a knife can take down a plane, it still puts passengers at risk for no reason. Leave the knives out of the equation.

Now I almost want to bring a knife on a plane so that I can even the playing field with any bad guys that may want to do the same.

megatop412
2013-03-09, 12:56 PM
Exactly Phil, now I actually feel more defenseless against some drunk moron with a pocketknife- as a famous rapper once said in the 1990's, 'I ain't goin out like that'

emshighway
2013-03-09, 05:38 PM
Then why aren't guns allowed on aircraft? That's a weapon used to take over a plane, not to take it down.

Please, if you aren't going to ask a serious question don't bother at all.

emshighway
2013-03-09, 05:40 PM
I may not agree with the decision but I understand the logic.

moose135
2013-03-09, 06:39 PM
DL CEO not on board.
Funny, but looking at the photo they ran with the article, I don't think any of those knives would be permitted under the new regulation. He objects to passengers carrying a small pocketknife, but right now people are permitted on his aircraft carrying knitting needles and screwdrivers up to 7" in length, both of which could cause more harm than a small pocketknife.

emshighway
2013-03-09, 07:33 PM
Funny, but looking at the photo they ran with the article, I don't think any of those knives would be permitted under the new regulation. He objects to passengers carrying a small pocketknife, but right now people are permitted on his aircraft carrying knitting needles and screwdrivers up to 7" in length, both of which could cause more harm than a small pocketknife.

You are correct, none of those knives in the photo would be permitted.

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-10, 12:15 AM
I consider a 2" knife to be just as lethal as a screwdriver. Just a different swing for each.

moose135
2013-03-10, 12:28 AM
I consider a 2" knife to be just as lethal as a screwdriver. Just a different swing for each.
But screwdrivers are allowed in your carry-on, and you don't hear flight and cabin crews expressing any misgivings about that.

emshighway
2013-03-10, 01:49 PM
But screwdrivers are allowed in your carry-on, and you don't hear flight and cabin crews expressing any misgivings about that.

As are knitting needles

NIKV69
2013-03-10, 02:12 PM
Chucky is entering the fray.

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/schumer-tsa-should-reverse-plan-to-allow-knives-on-planes-1.4786951

emshighway
2013-03-10, 07:50 PM
Chucky is entering the fray.

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/schumer-tsa-should-reverse-plan-to-allow-knives-on-planes-1.4786951

Ah yes, guess Chuck had nothing else for his weekly Sunday press conference. Not like they have a budget crisis to work on.

captmjk16
2013-03-11, 09:48 PM
I mean, my hockey skates have been allowed as a carryon the whole time, and anyone who has seen Happy Gilmore knows that it's rather easy to stab someone with a skate...

In all seriousness I cannot see a legitimate reason to need a knife like that on a commercial aircraft. If you're compelled to bring a seatbelt cutter that's one thing, but why would one need a knife? I've got nothing wrong with carrying one every day, but I'd leave it home when it's time to fly commercial.

Can anyone forsee the airlines going above the TSA in this case and banning knives from their cabin regardless of the TSA's ruling? It seems like they would have that option as private entities. I do know it is still illegal for one to possess a bladed weapon in an airport in Michigan, that's been a source of controversy here since the news broke on the knives.

Jared Blech
2013-03-21, 11:13 PM
The one thing that perturbs me about this whole rule change regarding small knifes, golf clubs, etc... is that some drunk may be able to bring a potential weapon onboard an aircraft, but i'm still going to be hassled on sea level about taking pictures of aircraft with a camera? ughh, the sad world we live in nowadays.. (smh)
:confused: :confused:

threeholerglory
2013-03-22, 07:47 PM
The threat is explosives that can be hidden in that 4 oz container. I can do more damage to you with a can of coke than with a 2.36 inch knife. The mindset is different than 2001. The cockpit doors won't be open. Passengers won't be compliant. The Risk Based Screening method used now is based on the threat of a plane being taken down not taken over.

I just got through security without a hitch with a fresh 6.something oz tube of toothpaste. I wasn't even dressed in my uniform...just street clothes and showed no pilot credentials. It may be an isolated experience, but what a joke...it was in my backpack in the outer pocket for all the world to see.

moose135
2013-03-22, 08:05 PM
I just got through security without a hitch with a fresh 6.something oz tube of toothpaste.
Terrorist!