PDA

View Full Version : Bethpage Air Show 2013

Speedbird1
2013-03-03, 07:30 AM
I heard on the news last evening that despite the budget cuts, the Bethpage Air Show will go on as scheduled, however the Blue Angels and other federally-funded performers, will not attend. I am confused as I was told that the sponsors of the show must pay all expenses for the Blue Angels, so why the cancellation of this demonstration team? I cannot attend anyway as I have no way to get to Jones Beach from Brooklyn. I just wanted to let you guys know the latest. The train-LIRR-bus connection could take over 3 hours for me, so I stay home every May.

steve1840
2013-03-03, 08:37 AM
The Blue Angels were not scheduled for Jones Beach this year anyway. And as far as the airshow sponsors having to pay all expenses does nothing for the cost of keeping the demo teams practicing during the week when they are not at an air show. The cuts to "non-essential" flying, grounds the demo teams from training which is one of the main reasons that the teams have to cancel.

The Navy TAC Demo team has even stated that even if the Sequester were to come to an end at some point during the season, that it would take at least one month from that point to get the team back into shape to perform at airshows once they feel they are 100% on their game for putting on a performance.

Speedbird1
2013-03-03, 09:35 AM
Good point. I fondly remember the old days when Blue Angels and Thunderbirds as well as the Golden Knights performed near my house in Coney Island; I think it was back in the 80's. They even had a Harrier hover over the beach and all the umbrellas blew-away.