PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Regarding Member Age

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-01, 06:18 AM
It has come to my attention that we had an pre-teen member that is new to the site that has been seeking planespotting information for areas that are known to be somewhat sensitive.

While I applaud and encourage aviation enthusiasm, I consider there to be a great liability for both the website and members when they are giving advice to children that might well encounter police at certain locations. This is especially the case when other members have no idea of the age of the people they are giving advice to, and the child's parents may not approve either.

Because of this, I have suspended the user's account (but not deleted it), and locked associated threads. I have contacted the member and offered to speak with their parents and maybe see if we can come up with a solution (permission slip maybe?) that keeps all parties safe and protected.

As for the actual new rule, we have nothing specific yet, but we will inform you of the details once we formulate it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

-Phil

Derf
2013-03-01, 08:50 AM
Will this affect me acting like a child in any way?

gonzalu
2013-03-01, 09:28 AM
DO NOT censor Fred, please :tongue:

Thank you Phil. I was thinking along the same lines as far as the minimum age to register on the forums.

Delta777LR
2013-03-01, 10:00 AM
Great thought Phil!:smile:

cancidas
2013-03-01, 10:24 AM
Will this affect me acting like a child in any way?

doubtful... ;)

Landing Lights
2013-03-01, 11:12 AM
Definitely a wise move.

And please leave Fred just the way he is.

wunaladreamin
2013-03-01, 11:16 AM
Fred was ACTING?!?! Lol if there was a maturity rule I know a few people who would be in trouble including myself lol.

neurodave757
2013-03-01, 11:47 AM
I am pretty sure I know who you are referring to, and I truly hope this came about from a member who gave him away, as opposed to by "other means"

The individual I have in mind contacted me and told me, but in order for anyone else to know, they would have had to go through my private messages. I hope this site isn't like that, it would be disappointing, to say the least.

But the "permission slip" is a good idea, and I applaud the fact that this persons account was not deleted, simply put on hold until a resolution is reached.

Cary
2013-03-01, 11:55 AM
I am pretty sure I know who you are referring to, and I truly hope this came about from a member who gave him away, as opposed to by "other means"

The individual I have in mind contacted me and told me, but in order for anyone else to know, they would have had to go through my private messages. I hope this site isn't like that, it would be disappointing, to say the least.

But the "permission slip" is a good idea, and I applaud the fact that this persons account was not deleted, simply put on hold until a resolution is reached.

He has his age range publicly listed at A.net, and he mentioned on here about his dad needing to drive him around. I really doubt Phil has the time to be sifting through the database/PMs, anyway :)

Kris V
2013-03-01, 12:41 PM
Would this affect me out of curiosity though I am not a preteen.
(Yes my parents know I am on the sites)

gonzalu
2013-03-01, 03:17 PM

Actually, it is Phil's duty to police the Private Messages... lest this site becomes a conduit for wrongdoing. If you have something private to say to someone, go to a public park and feed the pigeons... that's likely the only way to be reasonably sure it is private. Heck, if you want something kept secret, don;t even tell yourself! :smile:

wunaladreamin
2013-03-01, 03:40 PM
Would this affect me out of curiosity though I am not a preteen.
(Yes my parents know I am on the sites)
Not unless you change your avi to Justin Beiber.

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-01, 04:42 PM
I did not learn of his age by looking at anyone's PMs. I learned because this person contacted MANY people and someone approached me to inform me of it, as many sites employ a 13yo minimum for registration.

At first I wasn't bothered by it, but seeing as he wanted to disregard our advice and put himself at risk, I felt we were being put at risk as well.

alberchico
2013-03-01, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity what ''sensitive'' locations was he inquiring about ? When it comes to aviation spotting the younger you are the less likely people are going to view you as doing something suspicious.....

MarkLawrence
2013-03-01, 07:30 PM
Just out of curiosity what ''sensitive'' locations was he inquiring about ? When it comes to aviation spotting the younger you are the less likely people are going to view you as doing something suspicious.....

It was EWR - and - after asking about it and being warned, the person still went there and disregarded everything that people had said - enough said.

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-01, 07:30 PM
That's a good point, but him being underage creates a liability of him being unsafe in these areas as well, and bringing his unknowing father into the situation as well. My big concern was that he so blatantly showed that he had no intention of following ANY of the advice we gave him, which would surely only create trouble.

Landing Lights
2013-03-04, 10:06 AM
I had an extended interaction with the individual in question, and he seemed hell bent on spotting at EWR. 3 or 4 times I had to try to discourage him since every time that it seemed I had him convinced that it was a bad idea and bad things might happen, something convinced him otherwise. It really didn't take much to make him think that there were places he could go and take pictures for an extended period of time. While I truly appreciated his drive and enthusiasm, he apparently still had some maturity to gain when it came to decision making. I look forward to working with this individual when he either becomes a little older or some sort of an agreement can be worked out with his parents.

And just in case there is still any question about the suitability of planespotting at EWR,
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8528202460_a8ddbd4af4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30467068@N00/8528202460/)

NIKV69
2013-03-07, 02:57 AM
It really didn't take much to make him think that there were places he could go and take pictures for an extended period of time.

So? There are places at EWR you can take pictures for hours. I have done it. Many times.

While I truly appreciated his drive and enthusiasm, he apparently still had some maturity to gain when it came to decision making. I look forward to working with this individual when he either becomes a little older or some sort of an agreement can be worked out with his parents.

ROFL. So because he didn't cave to the fearmongering here he isn't mature? I actually feel he showed some maturity in ignoring all of you and going back to EWR and enjoying himself in something he seems passionate about.

Leave the kid alone. He poses no threat of "trouble" as Phil put it any more than the kid who camped under the approach lights of 13L at JFK and compromised that spot for us. If only you showed this concern back then huh?

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-07, 09:50 PM
13L is another issue that I have different feelings about.

also keep in mind that regardless of the EWR topic, 11 is an age most sites so not allow membership for.

NIKV69
2013-03-07, 10:18 PM
13L is another issue that I have different feelings about.

also keep in mind that regardless of the EWR topic, 11 is an age most sites so not allow membership for.

Absolutely Phil, I wasn't taking issue with your policy for site age. Just the way individuals were telling him not to spot at EWR.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2013-03-17, 09:09 PM
Age minimums don't work. Kids can lie about their age usually with the usual age verification techniques on the internet. Maybe if you can set an age range where children under 13 are required to provide a parent's valid email address for verification before becoming active on the forum?

Dabbey
2013-05-26, 12:01 AM
Whats the issue with the approach lights near 13L JFK? I've been there one time along the cargo area near Evergreen and didn't have any issue. Am I missing something? Maybe ill go search for a thread on this.

Delta777LR
2013-05-26, 10:07 AM
Whats the issue with the approach lights near 13L JFK? I've been there one time along the cargo area near Evergreen and didn't have any issue. Am I missing something? Maybe ill go search for a thread on this.

Heres one example

http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/26353-Cargo-plaza-10-1

wunaladreamin
2013-05-26, 03:49 PM
Oh FFS not this again.

NIKV69
2013-05-26, 05:42 PM
Yea it's not like they didn't put up cement dividers in the parking lots or anything.

moose135
2013-05-26, 10:44 PM
Yea it's not like they didn't put up cement dividers in the parking lots or anything.
That parking lot was used by Air India Cargo employees. The barriers went up after they moved out of the building and the lot was no longer in use.

PhilDernerJr
2013-05-27, 01:10 AM
Thread is locked. Not having this argument again. :-p