PDA

View Full Version : Ikea Security -_-

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 06:15 PM
Eh...what do you expect? EWR Security peeps chasing people about every second. Same happened to me, obviously.
I arrived at IKEA to take some pics and do some spotting. Moment I got out of my car with my camera, a US Airways A321 comes to land. So, I take out my camera, and start to film. 5 seconds later, a security officer from Port Authority says to me "Please do not film the planes for security purposes" and I was like -_- So I went upstairs in the cafe and filmed some stuff in the dirty glass :P

emshighway
2013-02-27, 08:01 PM
DON'T EAT THE MEATBALLS!!!

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 08:26 PM
....Why?? They're awesome =P

gonzalu
2013-02-27, 08:48 PM
Why would you go blasting your camera openly in the parking lot at IKEA when you were told here NOT to do it? Ugh...

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 08:54 PM
Bud, I just started to come on this site. This is like my....2/3rd day here :S
Now that I have been reading, it looks like IKEA isn't a good place for that.

threeholerglory
2013-02-27, 08:56 PM
Why would you go blasting your camera openly in the parking lot at IKEA when you were told here NOT to do it? Ugh...

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/cyberpunk/425223_med.png

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 09:07 PM
Er....ok? :P What's that for?

USAF Pilot 07
2013-02-27, 09:19 PM
....Why?? They're awesome =P

Like horsemeat much?

gonzalu
2013-02-27, 10:04 PM
Bud, I just started to come on this site. This is like my....2/3rd day here :S
Now that I have been reading, it looks like IKEA isn't a good place for that.

Well, this is a free country and you are free to do whatever you want, NO ONE ... not us , not me, not one person can tell what to do... you're old enough to make your own decisions.

However, saying you've only been here 2 or 3 days is the most idiotic excuse you can state. Perhaps the lesson is to slow down a bit, read more, become wiser, then take the leap. What's the rush? You need to slow down... for one, starting a separate thread for every thought you have, isn't going to win you many friends. Take a deep breath and try to read more and collaborate more and participate more rather than jumping at the slightest hormonal impulse.

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 10:10 PM
..... That's all I can say.

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 10:18 PM
BTW, this section of the forum is for mod happening when spotting, and I shared my experience here. What's wrong with that?

NIKV69
2013-02-27, 10:24 PM
for one, starting a separate thread for every thought you have, isn't going to win you many friends. Take a deep breath and try to read more and collaborate more and participate more rather than jumping at the slightest hormonal impulse.

Yea we already have one who does that already. We don't need two. As for the Ikea lot I have shot there many times and lasted all morning by just using my head. Use some common sense and you won't have to post these threads every time you go there.

Delta777LR
2013-02-27, 10:28 PM
Going up to the cafe was still a mistake as well as being in the car with the camera. 8 years ago i got kicked out of the IKEA cafe for taking pictures while also was having lunch. 2 sec officers came up to me and i was told that im not allowed to planespot from there and they immedietly asked me to leave the cafe and i had to throw my lunch out. And they followed me outside i guess for them to make sure i leave. I havent spotted from there since. See EWR is not the airport to currently spot at this point. Also i do recall the day i was out by the north parking lot with 5 other spotters a few years ago as PAPD took our memory cards. I spot else where than near the airport. The heck with that. Just slow down with EWR my firend.

Gerard
2013-02-27, 10:44 PM
Bud, I just started to come on this site.

Manny you change your name?:rolleyes:

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 10:52 PM
No :/ I just called him that. I don't know why everyone is starting to "gang up" on me, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

threeholerglory
2013-02-27, 11:04 PM
No :/ I just called him that. I don't know why everyone is starting to "gang up" on me, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Gang bangs are uncomfortable. Don't ask how I know that.

All joking aside, no one is trying to gang up on you...there's a WEALTH of information in the forums and around the site that people choose not to read on, then end up complaining about when they do what is clearly not to be done, then wonder why they get flamed. Everyone is simply trying to help you out...but if you choose not to help yourself, you'll get flamed. I've had the pleasure of shooting, spotting, and damn near being arrested with some of the folks on this site, and I can tell you from experience that they're here to help.

If you're really that interested about the "arrest" comment, sift through the spotter blotters regarding EWR. I have faith that you're sharp enough to find ample material as to what I'm referring to, and why we don't spot at EWR at large. For the same reasons, several people warned you about going there.

gonzalu
2013-02-27, 11:09 PM
You should not feel uncomfortable... don't be so paranoid. Want to know what makes this site so great, especially these forums? Ask yourself why you wanted to join and participate in the first place? What impressed you about the site and the forums? You need to learn to have a little more patience.

So, Internet Lesson Number One: ETIQUETTE ... it is so important, yet so many fail miserably at it.
Lesson Number Two: CULTURE. Take time to learn the culture of a site and especially the forums. Do not violate the culture and you shall thrive
Lesson Number Three: "Ganging-up" as you call it is nothing more than basic FLAMING. You have some choices there: Leave the site, wear a Flame Proof Suit or learn to respect others and the propane will be turned off.

I think the rest is up to you... Everyone here is BEYOND gracious. I treat (and am treated by) some of the people on the site like they are family. You have the same opportunity we afford everyone. Just slow down a bit and take it all in... I recommend you read about 500 or so threads and then see if you feel any different.

Now, please stay away from EWR. We do not want you to get in any sort of trouble. Really!

jerslice
2013-02-27, 11:26 PM
Gang bangs are uncomfortable. Don't ask how I know that.

How do you know that? (you asked him not to...said nothing about me...)

yankees368
2013-02-27, 11:30 PM
I'm probably one of the newest people to this forum, but I have done a $hi& ton of spotting in the last year. If I have one piece of advice for you, it's to stay away from EWR until you get the hang of things. Consider it like a black diamond run in skiing. And remember, Ikea is a private business and if they tell you to get lost, you have to obey.

CathayA340
2013-02-27, 11:39 PM
Ok, thanks for all te advice everyone. I just sifted through some threads about EWR spotting and they sound terrible....Im going to keep my decision on where I will be spotting because some of you might be unhappy or happy with this. Anyways, the only person that I feel that I really trust so far is mldoc, so I tell him what is really going on and he is really kind and nice to me :3
I remember seeing somewhere a weird strategy for planespotting at EWR, it was on a site that I don't remember. It said "brig a small child with you who likes planes...". I don't think that seems very reasonable...but would that work?

threeholerglory
2013-02-27, 11:56 PM
as was said before, and clearly evidenced in the forums, stay AWAY from EWR. That is the recommendation anyone will give you who knows anything about spotting there.

What you also have to keep in mind, is that when you go out as a spotter, you represent all spotters. It may not be a concept that's readily apparent, but as you gain experience you'll know what I mean. If you go to EWR and get busted, it's more likely that you'll be looked at as "one of those spotters" than as an individual...at least on many levels. Your decisions as an individual can have a profound affect on the climate for everyone. Again, no one can hold your hand and keep you from going there; but hopefully you'll practice sound judgement. The scope of this forum isn't global for no reason. The best thing you can do is link up with a good group of guys out at JFK for a day and see how things go on a daily basis. Although it's not a given, we get visited by local police on the regular. When that happens, watch and learn from the experienced guys. You'l be fine, AND you'll learn. That's the best possible combination.

The folks on this site have TREMENDOUS amounts of experience with spotting....if you take their word for rote for the time being and keep it in mind as you gain your own experience, you'll see what we mean!

Oh...and Jeremy, don't ask questions you don't want the answers to.

Delta777LR
2013-02-28, 12:07 AM
on many occasions sometimes bringing a child dont always pass. Also dont think anyone is gaining up on u cuz we r not. What we tell u is the same way we tell many new comers here, and we do it so that none of us run into problems. We have gone through this with many newbies in the past and i tell u, its not all that easy but we do it because we care about our fellow spotters. And I have the same belief that Manny sees. This site is like family. This site is the place for all us airplane geeks to talk about aviation and there are off aviation topics as well. Ill put it this way, We do teach many newbies about planespotting and what to expect in such ways.

Dont ever be ashamed to ask for help. We r all here for that. We dont gang up on anyone or make fun of no one here. Us here sometimes make jokes and have our laughs, and think of it this way, its a positive attitude. Just keep things positive and u will be ok. Be careful around EWR, maybe u should make your way to JFK or LGA one day, and u wont have much same problems as EWR. Stay positive

Zee71
2013-02-28, 12:17 AM
A little late joining this party but listen to what others are saying....they are trying to help and share their knowledge and experiences.

PhilDernerJr
2013-02-28, 02:58 AM
Cathay, please do not take it personal. We ALL spend a LOT of time sharing information here on this site so that people can go spotting armed with knowledge. It can become frustrating when people do things that are either contrary to advice given, or that differ from info all over the site that might even have a negative impact on how ALL of us enjoy the hobby.

Not just here because of the hobby, but ANYWHERE on the internet, when joining a forum, etiquette is huge. Earlier advice given of reading more and learning, searching old threads before posting new ones, and treading lightly at first, is all good advice to immerse yourself into our community.

Glad to have you here! Enjoy your spotting. Avoid EWR altogether! haha

LGA777
2013-02-28, 09:46 AM
I actually visit Ikea around 6-8 times a year and I have figured out an easy way to enjoy it, leave the good camera at home and just take pictures with your eyes. My wife, daughter and I enjoy the cafe and we will continue to eat the meatballs as the whole horse meat thing was only in Europe. That cafe is a great place to watch the traffic especially when on the 4's and between the dirty windows and the reflection from the lights pretty much impossible to get any kind of quality shots anyway. So for those who have never been just go eat there one day grab a window table don't take out a camera and just enjoy the view. No stress no hassles and one of the most kid friendly stores on the planet for those like me with a little kid in tow. And finally I highly recommend the triple chocolate cake when they have it.

My 2 cents

LGA777

megatop412
2013-02-28, 10:40 AM
EWR is the black diamond of spotting...the perfect analogy, Jason

Cathay there are others here who have had the heat turned on them due to what was considered poor form(the etiquette thing) but continued to stick around to become regular contributors. No it isn't a comfortable position but it's that way for a reason...better you go through it here than with the Port Authority/Elizabeth PD. Besides, this group has a vested interest in keeping the overall 'heat' on spotters as low as possible. If you search the threads here you will find another hot topic that we as a group are really struggling with, a spot at JFK. Tempers there are a little high as well but if nothing else it serves as a place for people to vent a bit, which has value in itself.

Stick around, watch how we interact with each other here, and try to 'do as the Romans do'. Think of the forums as classes you should take before going out and applying what you read. If you must attempt EWR, at least wait to build your skills as a spotter first. But even I stay away- I was there about a year ago, but I went for a SINGLE plane- the 787. Pulled up to the spot as it was on final approach, jumped out of the car, took the shots, jumped back in and pulled away. Others did the same. It was like the Italian Job of spotting it was so smooth haha(that would make a great short film haha).

Landing Lights
2013-02-28, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Cathay. I'm glad that I have earned your trust and I am sure that very soon you will trust pretty much everybody here. I'm sure that you have seen the PMs that I sent to you, which are basically echoing what everybody is trying to say here. Airplane geeks are a very friendly and supportive bunch. We are more interested in seeing each other succeed than in seeing each other fail. That is why there are things like the "Incoming" thread, so that information can be shared. It is good to see you reading through older threads for information, as there is a wealth of it there and it really serves as 'community wisdom'. I've learned much of what I know about technique, locations, interactions, and equipment by reading the archives. It is easy to kill many, many hours just reading.

Not to beat a dead horse (its going into the grinder for the Ikea meatballs anyway!), but the situation at EWR is so bad that it was a point of constant joking on Airport Day last year. They are so prohibitive of photography except for 1 six hour block once a year where they let you out on the ramp to take whatever shots you like. As Megatop said, the only other time it is worthwhile is for something very special where you are only there very briefly. The only way to escape scrutiny is to not be there long enough for them to notice you. For that matter, after leaving Airport Day last year, I took a ride on the Air Train with my camera away and was questioned about my presence at both ends of the line. If you must go to EWR, I will echo the thoughts above that you should use only your eyes.

wunaladreamin
2013-02-28, 11:44 AM
Cathay, if you want a real EWR horror story on how extremely bad things can get there, ask Senga when he comes on the boards.

NIKV69
2013-02-28, 05:13 PM
So when the 787 was there did people stay away from EWR? Funny I don't remember that being the case. Telling a new spotter to stay away from an airport is ridiculous. Is EWR a tough airport to spot at? Sure but to tell someone to stay away is just dumb. CathayA340 if you want some good advice without the forum bravado that breaks out here PM me.

Another good piece of advice would be to avoid these threads altogether and seek people out on the side. As you have seen here what usually happens is it becomes a pissing contest and nothing constructive comes of it. I am sure Manny would be more than happy to pick you up and bring you to JFK every time you want to spot.

Now on a more logical note without the fearmongering you can shoot at EWR. It won't be nearly the same as JFK or LGA but it can be done if done in doses and on the DL. Ikea is a spot that you should avoid unless you have a car and if told to leave you have to.

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 06:00 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is what I have been trying to say. I will pm you.

megatop412
2013-02-28, 09:37 PM
So when the 787 was there did people stay away from EWR? Funny I don't remember that being the case. Telling a new spotter to stay away from an airport is ridiculous. Is EWR a tough airport to spot at? Sure but to tell someone to stay away is just dumb. CathayA340 if you want some good advice without the forum bravado that breaks out here PM me.

Another good piece of advice would be to avoid these threads altogether and seek people out on the side. As you have seen here what usually happens is it becomes a pissing contest and nothing constructive comes of it. I am sure Manny would be more than happy to pick you up and bring you to JFK every time you want to spot.

Now on a more logical note without the fearmongering you can shoot at EWR. It won't be nearly the same as JFK or LGA but it can be done if done in doses and on the DL. Ikea is a spot that you should avoid unless you have a car and if told to leave you have to.

Nick correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you generally been of the opinion that one should not make things worse than they have to be by going to sensitive locations? I would think that EWR is a sensitive location as far as spotting goes, and that you would frown upon people constantly getting into confrontations with the police. If I am thinking of someone else I apologize.

I certainly wasn't trying to pitch any bravado back there, if that came out in any of my responses it was unintentional. I was only forwarding some caution. The only people I saw 787 pictures from were at least as experienced as myself in terms of spotting judgement, if not more. I would hate to have someone just getting into the sport decide to leave it because of bad initial experiences(and I wouldn't think of reading these threads to be among them)

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 09:58 PM
Don't worry....aviation is something I will not leave (hopefully, yet) =P
Is there a way I can delete this thread? I don't want anyone to get uncomfortable and fight or something.....

gonzalu
2013-02-28, 10:15 PM
Nick correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you generally been of the opinion that one should not make things worse than they have to be by going to sensitive locations? I would think that EWR is a sensitive location as far as spotting goes, and that you would frown upon people constantly getting into confrontations with the police. If I am thinking of someone else I apologize.

No no, you're right... The Mounds during School Year and T5 to name two recent "bravado-filled" threads :tongue:

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 10:25 PM
Manny, I want to say sorry for any recent trouble I caused you.

Cary
2013-02-28, 10:34 PM
But there's a huge difference between going out for only one plane (the 787), staying on the down low until it came, and leaving right after it arrived, versus someone trying to learn how to do aviation photography at EWR. If Cathay wants to go to EWR, stand outside his car, and shoot every Continental 737 in sight for practice, no one here will stop him, but odds are very high that he will find out the hard way why people were warning him.

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 10:37 PM
Erg...I don't know what to do :| I guess I'll MAYBE head out to the frontage road area of EWR....keyword: MAYBE -_- lol

RWB
2013-02-28, 11:12 PM
I guess I'll MAYBE head out to the frontage road area of EWR...
Don't say they didn't warn you...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8516706645_f00642c5fe_b.jpg

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 11:33 PM
Ok....? That pic sucks...feel bad for the spotter there. Anyways I said I might or might not head out there. If I do, you guys cant really "STOP" me from going....erg :S

wunaladreamin
2013-02-28, 11:38 PM
Manny, I love you. Cathay, I agree with Williams's stance being that ultimately you're going to do what you think is best for you and if you can make it work at EWR for you then, well that's splendid for sure. Personally I see no bravado. All I see is advice given in light of many years of previous experience. Good judgement comes from wisdom. Wisdom comes from poor judgement.

CathayA340
2013-02-28, 11:45 PM
Thank you for writing that. I definitely agree with you on that, especially the last two sentences. Makes total sense :D
When I hear out to EWR (don't get freaked out and be like D:<), lets hope that everything goes well :) Accordig to the spotter that told me about the frontage road spot, he has not run into any trouble at all ok the area with law enforcement, PAPD, or the cops in the airport. Also, the videos the spotter shared with me about this area show that this area is good for side and belly views. I'm just hoping everything goes well!

gonzalu
2013-03-01, 12:23 AM
I love you too Kenny.

Cathay, good luck. You caused me no trouble, just a little puzzled at your seemingly desperate quest for spotting against all odds. Seriously, take care of yourself. If you do decide to take any of our advice is to really not make yourself visible... blend in as much as possible and look over your shoulder often.

Cheers!

CathayA340
2013-03-01, 12:27 AM
Hehe thanks bro! I will try my best and use all of the techniques and spotters etiquette :) Hopefully, stuff goes well! I'll inform you all about my experience after it happens :P

PhilDernerJr
2013-03-01, 05:20 AM
Cathay, reading the site's spotting guides should give you most of the info that you need. I see many of your questions on the forums being redundant to the guides. If a location in NYC is not on the guide...it's probably because we don't want to promote that spot for a reason....such as EWR's Ikea.

I feel like you maybe are so disappointed by the information that we are providing you, that you are looking for any way to skirt around it.

Maybe I should re-write the EWR guide to heavy emphasize just how bad Ikea tends to be.