PDA

View Full Version : Planeview Park night landing at LGA

eric8669
2013-02-24, 01:20 AM
had some time to kill tonight while waiting for a flight

http://youtu.be/vzld38Cx5cU

727C47
2013-02-24, 01:36 AM
i remember when I was a kid in the 60's driving on the GCP by the threshold for 4 with my familia ,late night,a night of fog,and driving rain, and this Eastern Electra just explodes out of the murk, landing lamps beaming,prop disks shimmering,right over the top of us, I can still hear the whine/roar of those Allisons, so very,very,cool, also my one and only landing at LGA in the 727 was runway 4,on a see forever night and a banking sweeping visual that encompassed lower Manhattan,Brooklyn,and Queens, I remember noting the traffic on the Grand central as I began my roundout,and flare, and thinking about another circle completing.

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-02-24, 01:54 AM
had some time to kill tonight while waiting for a flight

Hey Eric,
Nice video. I've loved that spot since I was kid. A rainy day is always a good day at Planeview Park!

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-02-24, 02:09 AM
i remember when I was a kid in the 60's driving on the GCP by the threshold for 4 with my familia ,late night,a night of fog,and driving rain, and this Eastern Electra just explodes out of the murk, landing lamps beaming,prop disks shimmering,right over the top of us, I can still hear the whine/roar of those Allisons, so very,very,cool, also my one and only landing at LGA in the 727 was runway 4,on a see forever night and a banking sweeping visual that encompassed lower Manhattan,Brooklyn,and Queens, I remember noting the traffic on the Grand central as I began my roundout,and flare, and thinking about another circle completing.

Man, this brings back great memories. I grew up in Flushing right under the 31 approach. In the 70s I totally remember
the EAL Electras. Your words paint a great picture of those memories. We lived on the top floor of an apartment building
and it sounded like the planes were going to scrape the roof. Especially on a rainy or snowy day- they seemed that much closer.
The EAL Electra's and L1011's were my KLGA faves!

eric8669
2013-02-24, 10:02 AM
Man, this brings back great memories. I grew up in Flushing right under the 31 approach. In the 70s I totally remember
the EAL Electras. Your words paint a great picture of those memories. We lived on the top floor of an apartment building
and it sounded like the planes were going to scrape the roof. Especially on a rainy or snowy day- they seemed that much closer.
The EAL Electra's and L1011's were my KLGA faves!

My Grandparents lived right off Main St on cherry ave. planes flew right over.

emshighway
2013-02-24, 07:12 PM
I still love being on the Grand Central when A flight comes over.

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-02-25, 12:06 AM
This is exactly how I remember the Electra passing over our apt in Flushing.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/200uqtc.jpg

727C47
2013-02-25, 07:04 AM
awesome !!! by the time they got to Jersey they were itty bitty things,with the Allisons reduced to a whisper.

megatop412
2013-02-25, 09:56 AM
What a fantastic shot of that Electra, Don

Cool video as well there Eric