PDA

View Full Version : Test flights with the 787.

Spunker
2013-01-24, 09:51 AM
Hi all,

My question is, can Boeing continue to do test flights with the 787 during the grounding IF they use the "experimental" tag on them?

Thanks,

Gene

moose135
2013-01-24, 10:08 AM
Absolutely. They were flying it before it received FAA certification.

PhilDernerJr
2013-01-24, 12:11 PM
I think the "test flights" you are speaking of are the ones used toward getting that certification. Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.

Maybe someone near Boeing can tell us if any 787s have been flying?

NIKV69
2013-01-24, 01:46 PM
I think the "test flights" you are speaking of are the ones used toward getting that certification. Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.

I doubt any have left the ground. The battery issue is something I would think only needs to be tested statically. I think we all know what happens if a huge fire breaks out in flight. Not to mention if they were on a test flight and something went really wrong it could mean the demise of the program for a long time if it hit the media. They better get a handle on this fast or they have major issues.

jerslice
2013-01-24, 02:29 PM
Not since the FAA grounding, no.

Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.
The distinction on experimental status is true...but Boeing continues to fly their test aircraft for additional program work. It may not contribute directly to certification, but the 'testing' still continues. They actually sent out one of their birds the day before the grounding.

Matt Molnar
2013-01-24, 04:10 PM
I heard days ago that Boeing was trying to get an exemption for test flights, but so far that doesn't seem to have happened.