PDA

View Full Version : Things at FRG

Mateo
2012-12-25, 12:17 PM
Finally made my maiden voyage to Farmingdale (at least for the first time since I was a little kid), and I have a couple of questions about aircraft on the field. I'm looking for IDs on the following:

1.) the RF-84 outside at the AAM
2.) The yellow TBM-ish looking thing in Navy training colors just north of the AAM building.
3.) the Geico SNJ kept outside and missing its prop on the south side of the field.
4.) the hulk of whatever is in the woods next to the headstone vendor right by where New Highway meets the Southern State.

Gerard
2012-12-25, 12:43 PM
#4 - the remains of a NY Helicopter S58T that is used by FRG Rescue for firefighting training. When Island/NY Helicopter left
their long time base in Garden City they moved into the big hangar by Sheltair before finally going out of business.

moose135
2012-12-25, 01:13 PM
#1 - I have a few shots showing the (faded) tail number, let me find them and I'll let you know the serial number.
#2 - The one with the wings cut off? That's a T-6/SNJ that was no longer airworthy. No idea of the serial number on that one, and I wouldn't go by anything painted on the tail (not sure if there even is a number on it)

Mateo
2012-12-25, 03:08 PM
Aah, an S-58. That makes sense. I didn't think of helicopters, although that would explain why it's so tall. I see N2657Z as deregistered, and last owner as Republic Airport. I assume this is it?

Yes, the wingless one in the yellow navy, green stripe scheme. And of course I know better than to believe anything painted on a museum piece/warbird. It was tail-on to the road with a narrow viewing angle. If it wasn't yellow, I probably would have missed it entirely!