PDA

View Full Version : Help with Plane spotting in NYC

hercules
2012-11-18, 05:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just registered with NYC Aviation, My name is Tony Blackwell from the UK near London Heathrow area.
Heathrow being my local airport, my view i have from where i live covers the RWY09 approach pattern over our famous landmark Windsor Castle as well as
RWY27 departures. My interest and Spotting covers over 37 years. Started when i ws a young lad. I mainly collect Reg/Tail numbers, and do some Photography occasionally.

I will be visiting your wonderful city in Feb 2013, iam looking forward to my trip.

I was wondering if any NYC spotters would like to meet up, so we can discuss this wonderful hobby that we have. As some good tips/advice would be hugely appreciated.

I will in NYC from the evening of the7th Feb to late evening of the 11th Feb, would be happy to share any fuel cost as I will not have a car on this trip.

It would be great to meet the NYC spotters, if anyone i available around that time.
I must remember to bring a warm coat with me !!!!

Thank you & kind regards

Tony : Near EGLL Heathrow United Kingdom

megatop412
2012-11-19, 11:16 PM
Hi Tony welcome to the site I have marked my calendar so if I can be in town then we'll be in touch. I had a layover in EGLL last summer on my way to Germany and loved the traffic I saw there. Definitely bring your coat, if you end up at the Howard Beach location in February you'll be glad you did

see the maps on the site for the spotting locations

hercules
2012-11-20, 04:44 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I Will also wear a warm hat & gloves, i think !!!.
Hope you and some fellow spotters will be able to meet up.

Kind regards

Tony

Roush6NY
2012-11-20, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the site, Tony.

I am sure if the weather is nice that weekend some of us will be out for sure and would be more than happy to do some spotting with you as well

hercules
2012-11-20, 09:46 PM
Hi again,

On my trip i will be staying in the Brooklyn area, as it seems fairly central for most of the NYC airports. Look forward to hopefully meeting with NYC enthusiast / spotters.

Regards

Tony

Speedbird1
2012-11-21, 07:18 AM
Welcome to NYC spotting. I am a retiree and have plenty of time. Unfortunately I have no auto so I take public transportation. Hopefully, the Intrepid Museum will re-open by Jan. and we could go to see my beloved Concorde on the pier. I tried to visit her yesterday but was still closed; she looks good from the street and sustained no damage from the storm. I am a big Concorde lover since 1977. Let me know. Cheers!

Delta777LR
2012-11-21, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the site Tony! if any case as well you should make a visit to Planeview park at La Guardia Airport in Queens if runway 4 is in use. Fun spot!

Delta777LR
2012-11-21, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the site Tony! if any case as well you should make a visit to Planeview park at La Guardia Airport in Queens if runway 4 is in use. Fun spot!

Here are the spotting guides though
http://www.nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/

hercules
2012-11-21, 11:16 AM
Hi,

That is very useful info, I do plan to go to La Guardia, at some point on my trip. Hopefully some sunny days as well.

Regards

Tony

mirrodie
2012-11-21, 11:09 PM
Great link, Sergio.

Welcome to the site Tony. Got your note.
Yes, being layers of clothing. tshirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweater, warm coat. gloves, hat, scarf. jeans AND long johns or thermal underwear beneath. chapstick and face moisturizer.

Sometimes spotting in February is SADISTIC due to the dry cold. Way too cold especially since you are close to the water.

As the date looms closer, I'll know if I can commit to coming out to spot.

Are you also planning to see the city?

hercules
2012-11-22, 05:09 AM
Hi,

Thank you for even more good advice !!!
I will be doing some sight seeing in the city as well. Probably afternoons after spotting !

Thanks to everyone who have been helping with good advice.

Huge regards

Tony

hercules
2012-11-26, 09:33 PM
Hi,

Just been doing a bit more research for my trip in Feb, i noticed there is a park called Idlewild Park, is this good viewing point ? and do NYC spotters use this park.
Also does it have any facilities food places / visitors center etc. Or near by restaurants/ cafes.
From google maps looks like i might try this spot. Wearing my full winter clothing of course !!!!

Regards

Tony UK

megatop412
2012-11-26, 10:04 PM
The "Mounds" is the closest you'll get to Idlewild Park, unless you have a boat(it's marshland). Also, you wouldn't want to be there anyway as it is directly under the flightpath of 22L approaches. Closest facilities would be Popeye's chicken and Burger King. Further down the road is a McDonald's and a Wendy's, as well as the Panera Bread that many of us patronize(and spot from when the 31's are in use)

wunaladreamin
2012-11-26, 11:04 PM
If you go to the Panera lot for 31 ops, you'll have plenty of options in regards to facilities. At the mounds for 22 ops, you're on your own.

hercules
2012-11-27, 04:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks again for the good advice.

Do you get reasonable views from Panera Lot, and views from the food places that have been mentioned ? being that i collect registrations as well as some photography if the opportunity arrives.
My optics (spotting scope) this being my smaller one is around 11 inches long, ranges from 11 x mag to 33 x mag with a (50 mm front lens). This the one that i will more than on my trip. as well as some small zoom binoculars. Being a bit more discreet.
My larger scope is slightly obvious being around 1 & 1/2 foot long 25 x mag to 75 x mag with a (90 mm front lens.) Might bring this one, but will decide nearer the time. Not had any problems in eastern & western Europe with the bigger scope !

As a precaution I will carry my Passport and Driving licence with me at all times. Which is what i do on most of my overseas trips.

Regards

Tony UK

Speedbird1
2012-11-28, 12:31 PM
Spotting is great at the above-mentioned spots but the areas are very breezy with no facilities. An auto is a must for these locations during winter months. In the summer, one can wait for public transportation. Planeview Park is great but gets very chilly after awhile. It's a tricky hobby as runways get changed. I often got stuck waiting near a runway only to have the approach lights turned-off and being forced to look for a cab to take me to a different runway. I often waited well-over an hour before a cab stopped or simply had to walk, but that was during the summer months. It's a hassle as nothing is assured when spotting; it is a gamble! Good luck. Now, I must look for my book I got from BOAC back in the 60's. It had the original Speedbird logo on the cover and was given-out to all passengers.

hercules
2012-12-21, 07:58 PM
Hi to you all,

Seasons Greetings and a wonderful Xmas and happy New Year.
About 7 weeks till my trip to do some spotting in NYC, hopefully as per some earlier postingsShift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page., would be good to meet up, if anyone is available between 7th and 11th Feb.

A very merry Xmas

Cheers and regards

Tony

hercules
2012-12-21, 08:01 PM
Hi to you all,

Seasons Greetings and a wonderful Xmas and happy New Year.
About 7 weeks till my trip to do some spotting in NYC, hopefully as per some earlier postings, would be good to meet up, if anyone is available between 7th and 11th Feb.

A very merry Xmas

Cheers and regards

Tony