PDA

View Full Version : Jet Skier Breaches JFK Airport Perimeter, Wanders to Terminal 3 Undetected

NYCA News
2012-08-13, 02:10 PM
NYCAviation:

Jet Skier Breaches JFK Airport Perimeter, Wanders to Terminal 3 Undetected (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nycaviation/~3/4TGdAA6GUlg/)

A jet skier in Jamaica Bay breached a $100 million security system at JFK Airport, leaves both officials and citizens, scratching their heads.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/nycaviation/~4/4TGdAA6GUlg
[Click to Read Full Article (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nycaviation/~3/4TGdAA6GUlg/)]

NIKV69
2012-08-13, 04:01 PM
CBS came down to Bayswater to do a report on the reaction to all the money and technology spent and someone hops a perimeter fence, crosses two runways and gets to the terminal without anyone seeing him. I didn't want to go on camera but told whoever the guy was I want my money back.

cancidas
2012-08-13, 04:31 PM
i don't agree with him being locked up, it's not like he planned to jump the fence. PAPD definitely has some explaining to do about why he managed to get as far as he did.

PhilDernerJr
2012-08-13, 05:03 PM
I can understand detaining him at first until things are realized and sorted out, but I'm trying to learn if he was actually still under arrest, which makes no sense. It sounds like it was either that or drown. What was he supposed to do? Not only should Port have spotted him, but he should have been rescued.

Landing Lights
2012-08-13, 06:25 PM
I agree completely! Tired, wet, and obviously having a very bad day, I think anyone would have tried just about anything to find some help. Who knows how long he waited after coming ashore before he scaled the fence and entered the secure area. Eventually you have to help yourself when nobody is coming to help you. As for the massive security failure, I see no excuse for it. If it isn't working, then whomever is operating the system should know that it isn't, and they should have actual patrols replacing it. A working system or backup would have prevented this individual's ordeal from becoming what it did. Finally, I don't know of a single transportation facility in the area where "see something, say something" signs aren't everywhere. Evidently its not working as well as one might hope since it was possible to cross a security perimeter and walk 2 miles across a major airport before somebody saw some if and said something.

emshighway
2012-08-13, 06:46 PM
Finally, I don't know of a single transportation facility in the area where "see something, say something" signs aren't everywhere. Evidently its not working as well as one might hope since it was possible to cross a security perimeter and walk 2 miles across a major airport before somebody saw some if and said something.

Actually a Delta employee did see something and called for PAPD.

yankees368
2012-08-13, 07:12 PM
Actually a Delta employee did see something and called for PAPD.

Well, yea....after the guy wandered around the airport grounds for 2 miles and walked into terminal 3....

Cary
2012-08-13, 07:38 PM
Well, yea....after the guy wandered around the airport grounds for 2 miles and walked into terminal 3....

His undoing was when he tried to take a picture of the terminal :tongue:

Landing Lights
2012-08-13, 09:14 PM

Thanks, that was exactly my point. There are be plenty of people around the airport who should know that a person with a life vest on should not be out roaming around. That said, I'm not trying to place the blame here, just pointing out that sometimes the system doesn't work, at least not as quickly as its supposed to.

megatop412
2012-08-13, 10:48 PM
His undoing was when he tried to take a picture of the terminal :tongue: LOL

Wow...somebody in security has some explaining to do, they should have met him as soon as he came ashore- glad he's all right

Mateo
2012-08-13, 11:34 PM
Poor guy. Has to endure a swim through Jamaica Bay, a walk across the tarmac including 2 runways, and after all that, he winds up in Terminal 3.

Landing Lights
2012-08-14, 05:24 AM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/travel/airport-intrusion/index.html?hpt=hp_t2) has picked up this story. As is usual with things like this, it's been adapted for the mainstream audience. Unfortunately, it looks like the Queens DA is pursuing criminal trespass charges.

yankees368
2012-08-14, 09:43 AM
His undoing was when he tried to take a picture of the terminal :tongue:

lolol. There's been a bit of that going around recently.

Zee71
2012-08-14, 10:29 AM
Instead of persecuting the poor soul, they should be perscuting Raytheon for system failure. I am surprised that the PANYNJ doesn't perform some sort of annual system intrusion test to make sure that the system is up to par and validate it's functioning as intended. Obvious this poor soul was not a spotter, otherwise he would have headed for Bayswater or Inwood. Put yourself in this guys shoes..............what would have you done?

yankees368
2012-08-14, 10:33 AM
Instead of persecuting the poor soul, they should be perscuting Raytheon for system failure. I am surprised that the PANYNJ doesn't perform some sort of annual system intrusion test to make sure that the system is up to par and validate it's functioning as intended. Obvious this poor soul was not a spotter, otherwise he would have headed for Bayswater or Inwood. Put yourself in this guys shoes..............what would have you done?

I probably wouldn't cross an active runway, but we know better than that. I would probably just sit on the shore, and if need be, bash a piece of electronics I see until a repair guy comes to fix it ;-)

Zee71
2012-08-14, 10:50 AM
Didn't this guy have a cell phone in his wet suit. I would think they would have a waterproof cell phone pocket in the wet suit. Ill perpared for jet sking! Also, no reported the guy missing (what's up with that)?

Speedbird1
2012-08-14, 01:30 PM
Surprised this went un-mentioned in today's Daily News. Monday's local newscasts all reported this and surmised what if he was affiliated with a terrorist group testing the Raytheon system. Since he got through the multi-million dollar system, Raytheon does indeed have some 'splainin' to do. Funny thing, they spotted the sea turtles crossing the runway but not this guy ! No mention made of the time of day of this incident; was it in darkness?

mirrodie
2012-08-14, 03:01 PM
Poor guy. Has to endure a swim through Jamaica Bay, a walk across the tarmac including 2 runways, and after all that, he winds up in Terminal 3.

POST OF THE WEEK!

The guy should have all changes dismissed. It was either that or finding a body in the shores of JFK.
Unreal. Cut the guy some slack.

What alternatives did he have? Assume he's got a life vest and his cell phone battery died. This was truly a unique set of circumstances that, if it were an NYPD or PA cop, you have to wonder what they would have done differently under teh circumstances.

moose135
2012-08-23, 04:14 PM
An update to this story, from WNBC.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48760152/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/

The lost jet-skier who was able to breach security at Kennedy Airport by scaling an 8-foot barbed wire fence and walking across two runways into a terminal had been on the police radar after being reported missing by friends at least 15 minutes before he walked into the terminal, NBC 4 New York has learned.

But Port Authority police had known there was a missing jet skier on Jamaica Bay: sources tell NBC 4 New York that when Casillo's friends searched for him on the water, they encountered as many as a dozen Port Authority police officers who were in the middle of a training exercise on a boat. The officers asked Casillo's friends what they were doing on the bay, and they explained Casillo was missing. The team on the training boat immediately began a search for the missing jet-skier.
PAPD also notified the Coast Guard that "a fishing boat had picked up two jet-skiers, who reported a third was missing" but shortly after the Coast Guard initiated a search, PAPD notified them a person was in custody, and the search was halted. The Port Authority is conducting an internal investigation of the incident, and have stepped up police patrols of the perimeter and increased patrols of the surrounding waters.

PhilDernerJr
2012-08-23, 06:14 PM
If that was the case, why is that only coming to light NOW?

moose135
2012-08-23, 06:33 PM
I imagine Port isn't too pleased with the way the whole thing went down, and didn't want to talk about it, at least until their investigation is over and they can point at someone to blame. It sounds like someone wasn't happy about that, and dropped a dime to Channel 4...

The guy is still facing trespassing charges, and is smart enough - or has a lawyer who's smart enough - to keep his mouth shut.

PhilDernerJr
2012-08-23, 06:40 PM
But that's just it....the PR wouldn't have been so bad if Port's PR came forward and said "we knew about him and were helping in the rescue". People would have been more receptive and supportive as opposed to thinking that they were clueless and this guy was being left to die out there.

Port's PR folks should be fired.