PDA

View Full Version : Has JFK Ended Its Noise Abatement Procedures ?

Speedbird1
2012-08-08, 05:55 AM
As a spotter since the 70's at JFK, I have listened to their ATIS for decades. I noticed some changes since then. The voice appears to be computer-generated; very high-pitched and annoying. They used to have a real live voice. More importantly, they always announced the following, "In the interest of noise abatement, please use the assigned runway". That expression is now gone which leads me to believe that they have ended noise abatement procedures; especially for arrivals. I even heard rumors that aircraft requesting to arrive on a different runway got a warning letter that they were breaking NAP. Is that true? Another difference I notice when the 13's are in use, they used to announce that aircraft can expect VOR 13L while NE/E arrivals can expect to arrive on VOR/DME 22L (as an overflow). Now, the ATIS voice announces expect VOR/DME 22L or VOR 13L. This sounds like 22L is no longer the overflow arrival runway but is the primary arrival runway. I also note that all VOR 13L arrivals stop at 1600; thereby allowing for a 3-runway operation. In effect, the 13's have been demoted to a 3-hour operation (1300 to 1600)when the wind is S/SE and not used at all if the ceiling is limited. My doctor who lives in West Hempstead agrees that he sees and hears aircraft almost all-day long now. He's no enthusiast so he finds this a nuisance.

PhilDernerJr
2012-08-08, 01:34 PM
13L is not stopped at 1600. If it has been, ok, but that's not a time that they say "we always need to stop at that time".

Noise abatement hasn't gone away, it's just not in the ATIS. Probably less 'clutter' when listening.

The overflow topic isn't that one is primary...it's just that one or the other will be used.

People notice airplane noise more in the summer.

I just get the sense that you read into things that happen a bit more than is necessary.

megatop412
2012-08-08, 04:58 PM
There is no way noise abatement procedures for a major airport like JFK could be abandoned. If that happened here the residents of the Five Towns would be screaming bloody murder. Back in the 80's my father worked part time for the village of Lawrence in an office that made noise measurements of arriving and departing aircraft. I can't imagine that's been done away with

yankees368
2012-08-08, 08:00 PM
Bloody murder!!!!

I kid, I kid. Nothing has changed, us 5 Towners would know.

megatop412
2012-08-08, 09:25 PM
Bloody murder!!!!

I kid, I kid. Nothing has changed, us 5 Towners would know.

lol, just something my Dad used to say a lot

Speedbird1
2012-08-10, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Good to know that noise abatement is still in effect after all these years. I recall seeing a report on complaints from residents of the Five Towns holding a meeting with reps of the FAA regarding the use of 22L during night hours on Eyewitness News last spring. I don't know the outcome. Similar meetings were held by residents surrounding EWR as well. These complaints will go nowhere as the homeowners were well-aware that they live near an airport and should expect many sleepless nights. The FAA has ways to get around the noise complaints. The VOR/DME approach passes different towns than does the ILS 22L approach plus many aircraft are vectored to 22R simultaneously. I am merely an observer as for runway usage as no aircraft fly over my house (except once an AFR Concorde passed-over enroute to Mexico City).

Speedbird1
2012-09-28, 06:12 AM
Since you guys all say that JFK's NAP is still alive and well, I notice that in the current JFK ATIS they no longer end by declaring, "In the interest of noise abatement, please use the assigned runway". This expression had been used for decades on the JFK ATIS but no longer. Any explanation? I even heard rumours that aircraft requesting and arriving on a non-assigned runway were given a warning letter from the FAA, was that true? I recall SWR requesting to arrive on Rwy 31L and was informed that "it was not the noise abatement runway, advise your intentions".

megatop412
2012-09-28, 12:04 PM
I think they just omitted the message from ATIS, but noise abatement certainly has not left town. When you listen to ATIS now you always hear 'numerous cranes operating in the vicinity of airport' or 'bird activity in the vicinity of airport' so I think they just leave out the part about noise.

It may also have something to do with the fact that Stage 1 and Stage 2 aircraft are now banned as of Dec 31 1999. Having only Stage 3 aircraft flying in and out of JFK may have made the difference with the message.

Zee71
2012-09-28, 06:38 PM
Why noise abatement? Except for a few birds (like the Mad Dog, and old 747s), the majority of the aircraft flying today in my opinion are much quieter. When the A380 comes in or departs you can hardly hear it. Just think of what was still flying around in the 80's and how noisy some of that stuff was. I live not far from the field and some times departures off 31L come right over the house, with the exception of one or two aircraft the noise is not an issue to me. I think it's much more noisy for those that live right next to the elevated lines that NYC trains run on or living to a fire house.

Speedbird1
2012-09-30, 05:47 AM
Very true. I still remember the noise from those old B707s. However, stll what's "music to our ears" is horrendous to those who shudder every time they hear a plane. It's all relative. Many inquire before purchasing a home if jets fly overhead. I was curious why the ATIS was changed.