PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Opening Ceremonies

eric8669
2012-07-27, 02:17 PM
Since NBC is waiting till Prime time to air the Opening ceremonies, anybody know where I could watch it live?

I'm assuming a proxy will be involved.

eric8669
2012-07-27, 04:36 PM
I found a good feed.

NBC can suck it....

MarkLawrence
2012-07-28, 09:05 AM
NBC did suck! Turned a probably 2 hour show into 3 1/2 hours with all the blasted commercials - especially during the parade of nations - an ad break every 5 minutes?? Really?? i normally think Matt Lauder does a pretty good job - but - not for that - NBC should be renamed to Normally Beaming Commercials!!!

moose135
2012-07-28, 09:08 AM
NBC did suck! Turned a probably 2 hour show into 3 1/2 hours with all the blasted commercials...
Actually, I think it really was that long - someone elsewhere posted that he watched the BBC live feed, and it was 4 hours long.

mirrodie
2012-07-28, 09:46 AM
And yet the commentators kept stated how quick the processions of athletes was going!

It was a cute presentation, more to show the kids about storybook fairy tales...

Anyway, I awoke this AM and plugged into channel 4. But there are like 5 diff channels of Olympics.

Is there a way to view events....a la carte, by event, online? Or by a good phone app?

gonzalu
2012-07-28, 09:49 AM
Like with the BBC show on the 747 teardown, you can watch on the BBC's iPlay service. You can use a free (or paid) proxy in the UK to give you an IP from there and then watch ...

I subscribe to VyprVPN which is likely the best paid service. They have proxies in a lot of countries around the world and typically get speeds close to, if not line rate.

Gerard
2012-07-28, 11:57 AM
Actually, I think it really was that long - someone elsewhere posted that he watched the BBC live feed, and it was 4 hours long.

Correct!! I saw that in a number of newspaper articles.
BTW that was NOT the real Queens helicopter she and James Bond jumped out of. :wink: :tongue:
That was an AW139 while the Royal Helicopter is a maroon S-76C+++.
And did anyone catch the Red Arrows flyover with colored smoke in the beginning? Yeah it was a quick clip by NBC but looked cool.

megatop412
2012-07-28, 12:29 PM
Correct!! I saw that in a number of newspaper articles.
BTW that was NOT the real Queens helicopter she and James Bond jumped out of. :wink: :tongue:
That was an AW139 while the Royal Helicopter is a maroon S-76C+++.
And did anyone catch the Red Arrows flyover with colored smoke in the beginning? Yeah it was a quick clip by NBC but looked cool.

I saw that and my first thought was 'it would have been really sweet for them to have brought a Concorde out of retirement to do a flyover, talk about national pride that would have been perfect for them'

moose135
2012-07-28, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but just the fact that she jumped out of a helicopter with James Bond was neat, whatever chopper they used! :biggrin:

Gerard
2012-07-28, 02:46 PM
Yeah, but just the fact that she jumped out of a helicopter with James Bond was neat, whatever chopper they used! :biggrin:

RIGHT? Gotta give the old girl credit for doing that!! LMAO!!!!!:eek:

eric8669
2012-07-28, 05:56 PM
I ended up watching the BBC feed live. It was great. watching it live was about 3 hours and 45 minutes. NBC coverage was from 7:30 to Midnight, so they did stretch it out a bit.

BBC, no commercials, pleasant commentary and all around a good presentation.

PhilDernerJr
2012-07-28, 06:14 PM
NBC is catching a lot of slack for not running it live, clearly delaying airing for commercial purposes.

Gerard
2012-07-28, 06:24 PM
NBC is catching a lot of slack for not running it live, clearly delaying airing for commercial purposes.

Olympic Ceremonies and events epecially with the big time difference are rarely shown live. I mean it may be annoying but totally understandable. They have
made a big investment to show the Olympics so they would want to get something back from that investment! I DVR'd it and plowed through the commercials.

megatop412
2012-07-28, 09:22 PM
I really enjoyed McCartney's performance, even though at first he was clearly overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. He recovered nicely. I can't even speak at a family member's wedding without my voice cracking so I can't even imagine an event of that scale

PhilDernerJr
2012-07-30, 08:47 PM
Olympic Ceremonies and events epecially with the big time difference are rarely shown live. I mean it may be annoying but totally understandable. They have
made a big investment to show the Olympics so they would want to get something back from that investment! I DVR'd it and plowed through the commercials.

There's a difference between saving the stuff for a more optimal time, and blasting commercials literally every 5 minutes, affecting the experience.

Matt Molnar
2012-07-31, 11:52 AM
Kinda bugged me that the closeups were clearly shot during the day but the actual jump was well after dark.

Gerard
2012-07-31, 09:09 PM
Kinda bugged me that the closeups were clearly shot during the day but the actual jump was well after dark.

LOL yeah the Continuity Dept messed that one up!!