PDA

View Full Version : BWI Observation Area (Closed till spring 2013)

Zee71
2012-07-23, 03:07 PM
I was hoping to get some spotting in while waiting for a co-worker to arrive at BWI. Unfortunately the observation deck is closed. Per the BWI airport website:Observation Gallery will be temporarily closed during constructionConstruction has started on a major terminal enhancement program at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. The work will improve and modernize the BWI Marshall passenger terminal facility and provide new services for Airport travelers. The BWI Marshall Observation Gallery will be closed until spring 2013 to accommodate the construction program.“BWI Marshall is Maryland’s gateway to the world,” said Governor Martin O’Malley. “Together, we have worked hard to create a world-class facility. The recent surge in passenger growth is evidence that our investments in BWI Marshall are paying off. Now, it is time to take the next step and improve the terminal so that we are able to accommodate the growth that we are experiencing today and the continued growth we expect in the future.”The terminal enhancement program will address near-term needs and accommodate long-term growth at BWI Marshall. The construction will include: a new, expanded security checkpoint; a secure connector between Concourses B and C with moving sidewalks and other passenger amenities; and an improved Concourse C facility with improved airline gate hold rooms and new food and retail space.“We are working to ensure that BWI Marshall remains the ‘Easy Come, Easy Go’ airport,” said Paul J. Wiedefeld, Executive Director of BWI Marshall Airport. “We want to provide a high level of service for our customers while providing the opportunity for continued growth.”The new, expanded passenger security checkpoint would serve Concourses A, B, and C. The 9-lane checkpoint with the latest screening equipment would be comparable to the large, efficient security checkpoints that currently exist at Concourses A and B. The existing checkpoint at Concourse C will be decommissioned upon completion of the new facility.BWI Marshall will also construct an expansive airside connector to provide convenient and direct passenger access between Concourses A, B, and C. The post-security connector would allow passenger access between the 14 airline gates on Concourse C with the 26 gates on Concourses A and B. The design includes new moving sidewalks and approximately 8,500 square feet of new food and retail space for BWI Marshall Airport travelers.The Airport also will renovate Concourse C to improve passenger circulation and improve airline gate hold rooms. The enhancements to Concourse C also include new concession space.Completion of the improvements is anticipated in the summer of 2013. The approximately $100 million program will be funded primarily through revenues from Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs).

gonzalu
2012-07-23, 03:13 PM
I much prefer the spot Cary introduced me to... the Park next to the approach for 33L (Friendship Park) :-)

Cary
2012-07-23, 06:30 PM
When I read the subject line, I thought it was about the park. I would have cried for an indefinite amount of time :wink:

Zee71
2012-07-23, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the confusion...........the park is awesome.

megatop412
2012-07-23, 09:56 PM
amazing that we each jumped to the same conclusion...about the park

I've been to that observation deck, yes it affords views of some ops but nothing really close to a runway, from what I remember you're farther away from 10/28 than you are from 31L/13R from the Delta gate I took my Virgin flight out of

I have been waiting for a break in the sweltering heat to go down to the park and grab that new Condor(and maybe if the spotting gods shall allow, a screwed-up Raytheon nose or two). BAC 1-11, Baby. Hopefully what happened last time I went down there won't happen again which was...15R departures:mad:

Steven Holzinger
2012-07-24, 09:21 AM
I've always wanted to head down to that park myself. How is it for video? I'm asking in terms of getting the sound of the planes, about how long you'd have for each plane, etc...