PDA

View Full Version : Closeup Photos of Space Shuttle Enterprise Hitting a Bridge Abutment

NYCA News
2012-06-05, 11:20 AM
NYCAviation:

Closeup Photos of Space Shuttle Enterprise Hitting a Bridge Abutment (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nycaviation/~3/Au0YgL1JJGw/)

Space Shuttle Enterprise finished its barge ride a little worse for wear on Sunday, with its right wingtip smashing into wooden pilings as it made its way between two bridge support structures.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/nycaviation/~4/Au0YgL1JJGw
[Click to Read Full Article (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nycaviation/~3/Au0YgL1JJGw/)]

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 11:57 AM
*Insert slow clap here*

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 11:59 AM
Perriwen!!! We missed you... please chime in on all the other threads. Your commentary will be most welcome :-)

eric8669
2012-06-05, 11:59 AM
Perriwen!!! We missed you... please chime in on all the other threads. Your commentary will be most welcome :-)

begin laughing here.....

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 12:10 PM

I'm getting there, but this one caught my attention first because I kind of predicted this very thing would happen. XD

moose135
2012-06-05, 12:21 PM
So are you saying is that there has never been any damage to any of the artifacts on display in Houston? No contractor dropped a tool and dented a rocket? Never left anything out in the elements to be damaged? Let me help you with that...

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-030104a.html

July 20, 2007 - With managers, moonwalkers and the media watching, NASA's Johnson Space Center opened Friday a facility designed to protect and display the last remaining 363-foot Saturn V rocket to be assembled from parts once capable of launching astronauts to the Moon...

The Saturn V is not new to the space center; in fact, it hasn't moved from where it currently rests since its arrival in Houston in 1977. For nearly 30 years, it sat on its side, exposed to the elements, from its parking space opposite the main entrance to JSC. The passage of time, subjection to Houston humidity and the infiltration of local flora and fauna were not kind to the rocket, degrading it to the point of nearly being destroyed.
I see that they do such a better job of caring for priceless national treasures in Houston.

eric8669
2012-06-05, 12:23 PM
I'm getting there, but this one caught my attention first because I kind of predicted this very thing would happen. XD

You didn't predict %$#$%*.

moose135
2012-06-05, 12:27 PM
Maybe they should have used that bubble wrap after all...

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 12:27 PM
So are you saying is that there has never been any damage to any of the artifacts on display in Houston? No contractor dropped a tool and dented a rocket? Never left anything out in the elements to be damaged? Let me help you with that...

I didn't say that, but...

Did you really just compare accidentally dropping a tool and ramming something into a bridge when said object could have passed through with several feet to spare? I'm gonna dog you guys about that to make up for all the dogging you gave me. ;)

You didn't predict %$#$%*.

Yeah, I did. I predicted it would not arrive to display without damage, and that exactly happened.

moose135
2012-06-05, 12:41 PM
Did you really just compare accidentally dropping a tool and ramming something into a bridge when said object could have passed through with several feet to spare?
Maybe you didn't actually read the story about what happened...

While approaching the Railroad Bridge, a sudden microburst of wind, measured at 35 knots, caused the rub panel foam protective layer of the wingtip of the Enterprise to graze the protective wood piling bumpers in the water designed to bumper vessels.
Do you think the Intrepid folks were on a drunken joy ride with it? This was a professional marine operation company handling the move, and an unexpected gust of wind caused a small bit of damage.

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 12:47 PM
Maybe you didn't actually read the story about what happened...

Do you think the Intrepid folks were on a drunken joy ride with it? This was a professional marine operation company handling the move, and an unexpected gust of wind caused a small bit of damage.

Except, I think you missed this part:

Some observers noted that before the incident that the wind had picked significantly up as a line of thunderstorms passed near the area, and were surprised that the operation wasn’t suspended temporarily.

If the average joes watching it could tell, so could the guys on the boats. And going ahead with the operation when they knew they should have waited is absolutely careless-and puts the blame for what happened on them 110%.

eric8669
2012-06-05, 12:55 PM
Except, I think you missed this part:

If the average joes watching it could tell, so could the guys on the boats. And going ahead with the operation when they knew they should have waited is absolutely careless-and puts the blame for what happened on them 110%.

obviously the blame is on them, who else would they blame? The bridge for being there.

The wind was a contributing factor.

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 12:57 PM
obviously the blame is on them, who else would they blame? The bridge for being there.

The article says the museum claimed it was all the weather. Even though...yeah. Anyone should know better than to try and move the shuttle through narrow passages when there is a lot of wind.

eric8669
2012-06-05, 12:59 PM
The article says the movers claimed it was all the weather. Even though...yeah. Anyone should know better than to try and move the shuttle through narrow passages when there is a lot of wind.

honestly I was very surprised that they did the move on Sunday with the weather conditions.

eric8669
2012-06-05, 01:36 PM
according to @intrepidmuseum, the enterprise has already been repaired.

moose135
2012-06-05, 01:42 PM
So there was more time and energy spent whining about the damage then was spent fixing it?

eric8669
2012-06-05, 01:47 PM
So there was more time and energy spent whining about the damage then was spent fixing it?

Yup, well one person did the whining.

yankees368
2012-06-05, 01:51 PM
Should they have threaded the needle in those conditions? I do not think so. Heck, I was surprised they even lifted Enterprise onto the crane the day before due to winds. But, they did.
Are they lying about a microburst? Yes, I think so. Those high winds were sustained on the cross bay bridge, and I doubt it was any different at surface level.
However what's done is done and the damage was minimal, and apparently already fixed.
Nothing we can do now.

Chris S
2012-06-05, 02:24 PM
*Insert slow clap here*

http://i.my.afterdawn.com//standard/16598.jpg

I think Kenny said it best ^^^^^
BTW, is it true the Tugboat Pilot is actually from Houston ?? LOL :wink:

moose135
2012-06-05, 02:32 PM
Post of the week!

wunaladreamin
2012-06-05, 02:56 PM
Best thread ever! Eric, I ****ing love you!

rkfast
2012-06-05, 03:21 PM
Im a newcomer....I dont get it.

lijk604
2012-06-05, 03:43 PM

Don't see why it wouldn't be fixed already. A quick trip to the Lego store and all is forgotten. :tongue:

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 05:03 PM

The wind was a contributing factor.

I blame NASA for building it and making us love it so much and Perriwen's mother for having him and then having to listen to him while like a brat he didn;t get a real Shuttle ... whaaaa... Sorry, I am just starting to have fun.

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 05:04 PM
Post of the week!

They did it on purpose? OMG, story of the century!! hahahaha... good one....

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 05:08 PM
Im a newcomer....I dont get it.

Search is your friend... but I will help.

This one is great: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/42509-Shuttle-Enterprise-to-New-York-April-23rd-2012?p=465134&viewfull=1#post465134

But the whole thread is a GEM!!!

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 05:10 PM
BTW, take a look at this pic... the flag on the tug is blowing the other way. So, did the microburst cause the tug to push harder against the wind or was the wind blamed for the pushing in the direction of the pier? hmmm..

http://pictures.mannyphoto.com/Airplanes/Spotting/June-3rd-2012-Enterprise-JFK/i-qG2RxRW/0/L/shuttlestrike1-L.jpg

wunaladreamin
2012-06-05, 05:16 PM
Lol Manny!!! You are my father lol.

Good eye btw.

Cary
2012-06-05, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 07:24 PM
I blame NASA for building it and making us love it so much and Perriwen's mother for having him and then having to listen to him while like a brat he didn;t get a real Shuttle ... whaaaa... Sorry, I am just starting to have fun.

At least we took better care of our fake shuttle when it arrived. ;) (and we get to tour it, unlike your now tarnished glider.)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8014/7157489051_d5ab1391d4_b.jpg

Yup, well one person did the whining.

I dunno about you, but I'm laughing at the New York State of Arrogance. (all in good fun, though. This IS pretty funny.) XD Only place in the world that can damage a national treasure and pretend it's a nonevent. (and before you mention the Saturn V, I point out the multi-million dollar project to get it inside and fix the problem.)

ronsmytheiii_nsf
2012-06-05, 07:59 PM

If this is what Intrepid thinks of a "repair", makes me shutter:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28755.0;attach=416 817

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28755.345

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 08:06 PM

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28755.0;attach=416 817

Makes me shutter, too. But...like the collision, I'm sure that's perfectly acceptable to most the people here given what they've been saying thus far. :wink:

yankees368
2012-06-05, 08:20 PM
Time to throw some gasoline on the fire!

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47697831

Chris S
2012-06-05, 09:25 PM
That's only a temporary "bandaid" until the NASA folks repair the wingtip once it's on the Intrepid.:wink:
BTW, I heard that Tugboat pilot from Houston WILL NOT be at the helm tomorrow !! :tongue: LOL
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/MaryAnneFrancis/yosemitesam.jpg

Cary
2012-06-05, 09:29 PM

I thought that took an awfully short time to "repair". After having been lied to by Luke Sacks personally, I take everything he and the Intrepid says with a grain of salt.

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 10:22 PM
At least we took better care of our fake shuttle when it arrived. ;) (and we get to tour it, unlike your now tarnished glider.)

-- image removed on purpose --

I dunno about you, but I'm laughing at the New York State of Arrogance. (all in good fun, though. This IS pretty funny.) XD Only place in the world that can damage a national treasure and pretend it's a nonevent. (and before you mention the Saturn V, I point out the multi-million dollar project to get it inside and fix the problem.)

Perriwen, what you will NEVER understand is that we, New Yorkers, can do a much better job criticizing ourselves. However, if an outsider tries to take that role and make it their own, with a NYC person, object, landmark, whatever, we will make them pay. And pay you will. So go back to the BACK of the room and sit down and be quiet. We will handle our own. Yes, please be quiet and calm down.

--

I am SHOCKED at the temp pait job, but, as I have been trying to say... I am CERTAIN that those folks who were at the helm of the project DURING the ferry op feel HORRIBLE. I guarantee you the tug boat pilots would be the first to admit the blame and take ownership of the blame and they probably are some of the best in the business. Heck if I did this project, it would have gotten placed INSIDE a fully enclosed METAL container fully submerged in foam peanuts. And then maybe do it SLOOOOWWWWLLLYYY over land over a period of two months... anyway, regardless, let's wait it out.

The job should likely have been done by FedEx Custom Critical :tongue: We are after all aviation buffs not Marine buffs or Crane buffs. Except maybe Tom Turner lol.

Maybe even The Metropolitan Museum Of Art ... no wait, they let a visitor put a hole in a Picasso, no? This is crazy... there is no one that could do it? har har har

Kidding aside, I hope the Rockwell team can be reassembled like the masons from Italy that were re-united to re-create the marble floor of One Financial Center's atrium and re-build the tip of the wing.

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 10:24 PM
What is this about?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28755.0;attach=416 812;image

Perriwen, what's the story on this damage to yours? Oh yeah, I know I am sorry ... you may speak up to answer this question and then return to your seat :tongue:

gonzalu
2012-06-05, 10:41 PM
Reminder to The Intrepid: THIS is what it needs to look like when you;re done with the real and final repairs. I am spending the admission fee to make sure the job is done correctly or I will [try] and ask for my money back :wink:

http://pictures.mannyphoto.com/photos/i-TZf7pXt/0/O/i-TZf7pXt.jpg

wunaladreamin
2012-06-05, 10:53 PM
Only place in the world that can damage a national treasure and pretend it's a nonevent. (and before you mention the Saturn V, I point out the multi-million dollar project to get it inside and fix the problem.)
Well you got us there.

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-05, 11:08 PM
I honestly think people need to back off Perriwen a bit. Regardless of his feelings about NYC getting the shuttle, I shared the same fears about shuttle damage with him.

While I do not blame the crews, I blame Intrepid this time for not postponing it, because the winds and general weather that day was just as forecast. I know it was a tight squeeze and not easy, but I still think more care should have been taken, and after seeing the flag-waving pic, it's clear we were lied to.

All I can hope is that nothing else happens and that the repairs are proper, as Manny stated.

I thought that took an awfully short time to "repair". After having been lied to by Luke Sacks personally, I take everything he and the Intrepid says with a grain of salt.

Ha. No comment.

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 11:09 PM
I honestly think people need to back off Perriwen a bit. Regardless of his feelings about NYC getting the shuttle, I shared the same fears about shuttle damage with him.

Thank you!!

Perriwen, what you will NEVER understand is that we, New Yorkers, can do a much better job criticizing ourselves. However, if an outsider tries to take that role and make it their own, with a NYC person, object, landmark, whatever, we will make them pay. And pay you will. So go back to the BACK of the room and sit down and be quiet. We will handle our own. Yes, please be quiet and calm down.

Yeeeah, that isn't how it works in the real world, buddy. This may stun you, but...NYC isn't that special. It's just another city on this little speck floating in the cosmos, just like Houston is. Everyone -thinks- their city is the best and they're something special because they come from it, but...that isn't how the world works. I've been to New York and didn't see jack squat that sets it that far apart from Chicago, New Orleans, Houston..you name it. Same stuff, each city just emphasizes a certain part of their same stuff a little bit more. But when all is said and done, sometime in the future-no one is going to know this place called 'NYC' or 'Houston' even existed. New York, just like the rest of the planet is destined for eventual annihilation, be it natural with an asteroid or even when the sun goes-or manmade should the worst happen. So, time to face the music and realize you're in the same boat, rather than make threats because someone is not happy by the way something is being done.

eric8669
2012-06-05, 11:17 PM
Thank you!!

Yeeeah, that isn't how it works in the real world, buddy. This may stun you, but...NYC isn't that special. It's just another city on this little speck floating in the cosmos, just like Houston is. Everyone -thinks- their city is the best and they're something special because they come from it, but...that isn't how the world works. I've been to New York and didn't see jack squat that sets it that far apart from Chicago, New Orleans, Houston..you name it. Same stuff, each city just emphasizes a certain part of their same stuff a little bit more. But when all is said and done, sometime in the future-no one is going to know this place called 'NYC' or 'Houston' even existed.

I give up.....

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-05, 11:24 PM
Perriwen, you're losing my support and fanship fast. I'm sorry you're butt-hurt and all, but there's no need to rip on NYC.

wunaladreamin
2012-06-05, 11:27 PM
Can we all at least agree that Newark sucks ass?

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 11:31 PM
Perriwen, you're losing my support and fanship fast. I'm sorry you're butt-hurt and all, but there's no need to rip on NYC.

When someone thinks they're justified in making threats because someone is an 'outsider', I think that calls for a massive reality check. I'm sorry if it seems like it's 'ripping', but, we're all in the same boat on different corners-and threatening someone because they dare be critical of people in that corner because they're being careless with something that belongs to the whole boat and that person isn't in their corner of the boat is beyond uncalled for.

megatop412
2012-06-05, 11:31 PM
Yeeeah, that isn't how it works in the real world, buddy. This may stun you, but...NYC isn't that special. It's just another city on this little speck floating in the cosmos, just like Houston is. Everyone -thinks- their city is the best and they're something special because they come from it, but...that isn't how the world works. I've been to New York and didn't see jack squat that sets it that far apart from Chicago, New Orleans, Houston..you name it. Same stuff, each city just emphasizes a certain part of their same stuff a little bit more. But when all is said and done, sometime in the future-no one is going to know this place called 'NYC' or 'Houston' even existed. New York, just like the rest of the planet is destined for eventual annihilation, be it natural with an asteroid or even when the sun goes-or manmade should the worst happen. So, time to face the music and realize you're in the same boat, rather than make threats because someone is not happy by the way something is being done.

This has certainly developed into an epic debate. The only problem is, when the end does come, either for me individually or for all of us at once, this thread will be the last thing on my mind.

And whatever happens, remember to stop down to f/8 instead of trying to shoot it wide open

eric8669
2012-06-05, 11:33 PM
When someone thinks they're justified in making threats because someone is an 'outsider', I think that calls for a massive reality check. I'm sorry if it seems like it's 'ripping', but, we're all in the same boat on different corners-and threatening someone because they dare be critical of people in that corner because they're being careless with something that belongs to the whole boat and that person isn't in their corner of the boat is beyond uncalled for.

Please go away....

TJK
2012-06-05, 11:41 PM
I think Kenny said it best ^^^^^

Is it so? That would be a special brand of hysterical if true.

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-05, 11:41 PM
Ok, guys. Just stop. I'm not in the mood to start moderating people's posts. We all know how we feel and this is a passion subject for all of us. Let's just end it here. No last words. Let's just share facts and avoid the debate.

wunaladreamin
2012-06-06, 12:42 AM
In all honesty, this gaffe by the Intrepid folks hurts me much more than Alpha Delta's incident. Long before I developed an appreciation for aviation, when I was a kid, it was all about the space shuttle for me. I rember watching Challenger streak across the night's sky in 1984. It was the very first time I was allowed to stay up past my strict rack time of 1930. I also remember watching Challenger tragically fail that fateful morning. A lot of my fondest childhood memories involve the shuttle program, so naturally I was excited to see OV101 come to NY. I really just wish the people around the Intrepid seemed to really care about what they've got because a scarred Concorde and a spray painted space shuttle are simply unacceptable.

On a side note, quite a few major components for the shuttles were made here on Long Island. It's just too bad she didn't end up some place she'd be supremely cared for like the AAM.

moose135
2012-06-06, 12:59 AM
It's just too bad she didn't end up some place she'd be supremely cared for like the AAM.
Where you would have to pay $50 admission so we could afford the new building that would be required...

NIKV69
2012-06-06, 01:18 AM
Ok, guys. Just stop. I'm not in the mood to start moderating people's posts. We all know how we feel and this is a passion subject for all of us. Let's just end it here. No last words. Let's just share facts and avoid the debate.

Moderating? I haven't seen any of that here in a long time. May as well let it go Phil. I mean for pete's sake it's one of the few epic threads ever here!

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6163/modcat.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-06, 01:26 AM
We mod more than you realize....which means we're doing it right for the most part.

Was there something you feel we should have modded and we didn't?

wunaladreamin
2012-06-06, 10:05 AM
Where you would have to pay $50 admission so we could afford the new building that would be required...
Personally I'd be fine with that. You and I both know the supreme care she'd receive there.

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-06, 10:17 AM
If we're talking Long Island, I'd rather see it at the Cradle. The Cradle has a GREAT space exhibit already and they could probably squeeze the shuttle into that one annex, which to me is poorly utilized even though it's got some good fighters in there.

yankees368
2012-06-06, 11:03 AM
If we're talking Long Island, I'd rather see it at the Cradle. The Cradle has a GREAT space exhibit already and they could probably squeeze the shuttle into that one annex, which to me is poorly utilized even though it's got some good fighters in there.

Ehhh... I disagree. The Cradle is really run down and extremely out of date (except the IMAX dome). That place needs a major overhaul.

Derf
2012-06-06, 11:23 AM
Thank you!!

Yeeeah, that isn't how it works in the real world, buddy. This may stun you, but...NYC isn't that special. It's just another city on this little speck floating in the cosmos.............

I call Sh!t Stirrer on You Sir! I am no longer offering a hug to you. I am sorry but you are not trying to debate anything, you are just bashing at this point. I think this thread needs some heavy Modding. I am very sad that you tarnished this historic event more than the tugboat driver hitting the wing into the pylons. I can forgive him in a heartbeat as his many years of excellent service and he for one glimmer of a moment, forgot he was human.

Perriwen
2012-06-06, 06:51 PM
I call Sh!t Stirrer on You Sir! I am no longer offering a hug to you. I am sorry but you are not trying to debate anything, you are just bashing at this point. I think this thread needs some heavy Modding. I am very sad that you tarnished this historic event more than the tugboat driver hitting the wing into the pylons. I can forgive him in a heartbeat as his many years of excellent service and he for one glimmer of a moment, forgot he was human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

eric8669
2012-06-06, 08:15 PM
Ehhh... I disagree. The Cradle is really run down and extremely out of date (except the IMAX dome). That place needs a major overhaul.

really? I think its a great museum. run down? where?

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-06, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to this nice people here. My photos of the shuttle hitting the bridge were featured on CNN most of the morning. They contacted me yesterday afternoon after seeing my pictures on this forum. In the 3 weeks or so since joining the forum I have met a few members out taking pictures and am humbled by how nice everyone has been.

Gerard
2012-06-06, 09:25 PM
My photos of the shuttle hitting the bridge were featured on CNN most of the morning. They contacted me yesterday afternoon after seeing my pictures on this forum

Pretty cool (I guess) that CNN is lurking (?) here on this forum!! I believe they contacted Moose also buy not sure if they used his. BTW guys, if I may, how did they contact you? The Private Message
Inbox?

Cary
2012-06-06, 09:35 PM
Cool stuff, Vinny. They also used Moose's photo right after yours in this piece:
http://earlystart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/06/shuttle-enterprise-makes-final-journey-to-intrepid-museum-alina-cho-shares-details/?iref=allsearch

I was surprised no one else made it out for sunrise...I was pretty much alone with the camera crews :frown:

moose135
2012-06-06, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Cary! I was watching CNN last night and didn't see anything, and just had the weather on this morning.

Gerard, there is a forum member connected with CNN - I won't mention any names - and he passed along the info to one of their producers. The producer e-mailed me yesterday afternoon, I provided the photos.

Gerard
2012-06-06, 10:47 PM
Gerard, there is a forum member connected with CNN - I won't mention any names - and he passed along the info to one of their producers. The producer e-mailed me yesterday afternoon, I provided the photos.

Ah very nice. Thanks.

TJK
2012-06-07, 12:29 AM
Congrats on getting the forum and the relevant pieces of photographic work the credit they deserve!

And it was also nice for that sort of publicity to come from something completely unlike that "my crazy obsession" learning channel concept their people floated to you guys.

NickPeterman
2012-06-07, 12:35 AM
Congrats on some CNN coverage gentlemen, that is simply fantastic! I hear I may be in NYC later this summer, and may have to pay (see what I did there?) a visit to the Intrepid to see Enterprise in her new home.

TJK
2012-06-07, 12:36 AM

It could definitely use some work, but it does already have facility space already available, all without the use of a practice dome as I'm sure a certain painfully insecure and jealous "friend" of everyone's from TX would be quick to point out. The fact remains though that neither site would generate the tourist volume to negate the outrageousness of the cost that putting her in NYC does, unfortunately, despite the fact that either Long Island location I'm sure would make every effort to make a great home for her. Intrepid's gotten enough $ from me over the years that I won't be dropping more to see the shuttle since I've already seen her today and on three trips down to JFK. But I'm sure she'll get plenty of admiring tourist views marveling at this piece of aviation and space exploratory history and honestly that's probably what matters most.

Perriwen
2012-06-07, 12:57 AM
It could definitely use some work, but it does already have facility space already available, all without the use of a practice dome as I'm sure a certain painfully insecure and jealous "friend" of everyone's from TX would be quick to point out.

:rolleyes:

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-07, 04:16 PM
Moose Congrats it was an honor to have your pictures with mine on CNN.

They showed the same clip at least twice starting at 545 am. Around 10 am they switched the segment and only showed my pics and then they cut in and stopped showing our pics once the shuttle was on the move.

captmjk16
2012-06-07, 05:05 PM
First off, Congrats on getting the national attention guys, great shots of an unfortunate incident!

BTW, take a look at this pic... the flag on the tug is blowing the other way. So, did the microburst cause the tug to push harder against the wind or was the wind blamed for the pushing in the direction of the pier? hmmm..

http://pictures.mannyphoto.com/Airplanes/Spotting/June-3rd-2012-Enterprise-JFK/i-qG2RxRW/0/L/shuttlestrike1-L.jpg

I'm thinking they either overcompensated for the wind (rear tug pushing it into the bridge) or just didn't pay attention, also, there's a chance that there was some swirling effect around the bridge/structure of the tug that caused the flag to be pointed a direction different from the prevailing breeze.

Can we all at least agree that Newark sucks ass?

Sure, along with Detroit and Flint, I may like certain elements of my state/hometown, but there's no way to deny that most of Detroit is currently a ****hole!

I just wish I could've just spraypainted over the frame damage on my team's race buggy rather than replacing frame members, I'll have to try the rattle can first next time and hope it passes tech.

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-08, 01:08 AM
captmjk16

The wind on the bridge we were standing on came out of no where and you could see the storm behind us and off to the left. That tugboat probably held the shuttle from getting more damaged actually. I would of had the incident on video if the wind didn't move the video camera I had sitting on the ledge. It was a freak thing that all happened at once. My video camera was knocked to the side about 20 seconds before the shuttle hit the bridge. You can see them struggling with the wind. It was the only video I didn't put on youtube. Should I upload it?

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-08, 01:38 AM
Here is the video and you can see the flags were all blowing in that direction. I bet that all changed at the same time it hit my camera and sent it to the right. As you can see in the video the camera was pretty steady until the gust came.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42IVtBe32A

gonzalu
2012-06-08, 07:46 AM
Vinny, what luck :-( Out of all the times the wind could knock out your camera it had to be at the money shot ... I should have done what you did and have a video cam trained on it too but I was too busy taking pictures. Maybe the Japanese News crew to our right got some close footage.

captmjk16
2012-06-09, 12:03 AM
In my experience on the water, tug on that side of the barge seems like more of a potential liability than anything. Going through a narrow passage it makes more sense to be directly in trail to better provide directional control and provide a more narrow profile to the bridge. That said, you guys did a great job of covering it, and I think we can all be thankful that the damage is relatively minor.

If it makes you feel any better I missed the 2010 Matt Hall water touch at the Detroit/Windsor air race with BOTH cameras because I was an idiot while everyone around me ended up with great shots...

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-09, 02:30 AM
gonzalu

I had the video camera on the ledge as I was shooting and when the guy next to me saw it wasn't tied down to anything he suggested that I tie it and I did and the wind still moved it. If it wasn't tied down it would have fell off the bridge for sure with that wind and I wouldn't of had the 7 videos. It totally sucks that I didn't get "The money shot" on video but it reaffirms that a wind got to the barge about 10 seconds after it passed by us.

If you were to my left I probably have some pictures of you on my cell phone shots that I took. I am sure there were many people from the board around me but since I am new I had no idea since I don't know everyone or what they look like yet.

gonzalu
2012-06-09, 09:40 AM
Vinny, I may have a shot or two of the crowd. I will look... here is what I probably looked like to you from your vantage point :tongue:

Thanks to William "Megatop"

http://pictures.mannyphoto.com/photos/i-jRKKLRh/0/M/i-jRKKLRh-M.jpg

yankees368
2012-06-09, 10:02 AM
Man I look terrible there.
And shall I assume that "???" is The Riddler from Batman? lol

eric8669
2012-06-09, 10:15 AM
Vinny, I may have a shot or two of the crowd. I will look... here is what I probably looked like to you from your vantage point :tongue:

Thanks to William "Megatop"

Hey, you forgot me. I'm blocked by the bushes.lol

Zee71
2012-06-09, 10:24 AM
Great spotting attire Eric.......camouflage!

wunaladreamin
2012-06-09, 11:28 AM
Man I look terrible there.
And shall I assume that "???" is The Riddler from Batman? lol
They say the camera adds 10 pounds! Lol

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-09, 01:12 PM
Ok so you were like right next to me.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qGCfJILvWnw/T9OD-AOUsaI/AAAAAAAADq4/M5UBZ6LQX2E/s1000/shuttlebridge.jpg

yankees368
2012-06-09, 01:47 PM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac1/yankees368/Space%20Shuttle%20Barge/shuttlebridge.jpg

Vinny Ohare
2012-06-09, 03:47 PM
LOL @ Santa

I feel bad I didn't introduce myself when I saw you taking pictures of the planes behind us just before the storm. I just knew you guys had to be on this forum.