PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels over NYC next week

Speedbird1
2012-05-19, 06:59 AM
The Blue Angels are scheduled to do a fly-over the Hudson next Wed. May 23. As usual, no time is given. My guess it would be sometime around noon but things change. I think the Parade of Tall Ships is due that same day. I saw a few yesterday while lounging at Battery Park City.

Fighting_falcon_51
2012-05-19, 07:51 AM
It looks like it is going to be around 11:30am.

Big Tim #70
2012-05-19, 08:09 AM
Is anyone else heading in to get the ships & the Blues this year?

I took Wed off from work & plan on making the trip in, jsut not decided where I'm going to set up. I'm considering going back to where I was last year @ the Verranzano Bridge to get them coming underneath or perhaps Ellis Island where I can get the city in the background. Thoughts?

Speedbird1
2012-05-19, 01:41 PM
Under the VZ Bridge might mean missing the Angels. I would prefer by the Hudson at Battery Park City. Shouldn't be too crowded as most will be at work and kids should be in class. If there's a better place, please share
Info.

Big Tim #70
2012-05-19, 02:18 PM
Last year the 2 hornets & 2 Osprey's flew right over the Bridge. That being said, I have no clue this year, just guessing they're going to fly a simliar route as the flyby's in the past. Not much of a shot though as they were quite high. I think I'm going to head to Ellis Island.

fk6065
2012-05-19, 09:10 PM
Tim,

They should start out south of the Narrows and follow the river all the way up.

I am going to set up at 92nd Street and the Belt Parkway, good parking, decent neighborhood and great view of the ships coming under the bridge.

You are more then welcome to come along.

lijk604
2012-05-20, 10:50 AM
If weather holds I may be up for Wednesday. I say that because I have been fighting a cold the last 4 days, and will not be trekking out in the rain.

wunaladreamin
2012-05-20, 11:30 AM
John take Zicam. You can deal with a cold. Air show and Fleet Week come but once a year!

Big Tim #70
2012-05-20, 02:02 PM
I like that idea Fred, I'm famliar with that area. I'll see you there.

John, if you want a ride in, give me a shout. Don't feel obligated, but you're more than welcome to jump in.

lijk604
2012-05-20, 04:17 PM
John take Zicam. You can deal with a cold. Air show and Fleet Week come but once a year!

I stocked up on Zicam today. Should be good by weeks end.
Honestly can't remember the last time I just sat in the back yard for three really nice days and really didn't do anything.

alberchico
2012-05-21, 01:42 AM
Dumb question but what is the situation regarding the flyby if the weather is crappy on Wed morning ?

Speedbird1
2012-05-21, 05:54 AM
I guess if the ceiling is poor the fly-over will get cancelled. The ships will still do their thing. Weather reports are not too promising for Wed.

Speedbird1
2012-05-22, 04:55 AM
Unfortunately, it still seems bad for the Wed. fly-over. Good chance of rain, thorms, and low ceiling. At least we can see the Tall Ships. Seems like whenever we are due for a show, the weather doesn't cooperate. Remember how the Shuttle fly-by was postponed several times then when it finally came, it was a so-so day with lots of clouds and gusty winds.

Gerard
2012-05-22, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately, it still seems bad for the Wed. fly-over. Good chance of rain, thorms, and low ceiling. At least we can see the Tall Ships. Seems like whenever we are due for a show, the weather doesn't cooperate. Remember how the Shuttle fly-by was postponed several times then when it finally came, it was a so-so day with lots of clouds and gusty winds.

Working on the Upper East Side i can tell you the sun actually came out for awhile around 1:45 today as I was on my lunch break. And the ceiling was pretty good for the most part late morning through when I left at 5PM.
I would guess a TFR in effect and as I asked on the Jones Beach thread has the city notified the media of this to keep calls from panicky citizens down to a minimum?

alberchico
2012-05-22, 10:39 PM
Will the blue angels make any announcements regarding the cancellation of the flyover or is this thing still happening ?

moose135
2012-05-22, 11:50 PM
I imagine it will be a game time decision based on weather. Intellicast shows Wednesday's forecast for NYC as:
Partly cloudy early followed by mostly cloudy skies and a few showers later in the day.

If that's close to accurate, they should be able to fly.

Speedbird1
2012-05-23, 05:52 AM
They evidently need at least a ceiling of 500' to do the fly-over but the fog could lift by 11:30. In any case, the tall ships will still come, so why not go? Where to view? I probably will view from Battery Park City Esplanade as Battery Park might be too crowded to get a good spot. Lter, I'll head up the Hudson. Since the military ships will dock north of the Intrepid. The Intrpid Pier will also probably be too crowded. Also, some sort of air show is scheduled for Thurs. at 9 AM over Coney according to the NY Daily News.

alberchico
2012-05-23, 06:20 AM
Don't go to the Intrepid museum to see the fleet parade. I went there last year and it was too crowded, not to mention there was a massive line just to get in.Go to the public pier that comes just before you get to the ship the ship, the crowds are much smaller and you get a good look at the fleet......

TJK
2012-05-23, 09:24 AM
Hey, folks. I'm new here, but have been lurking for a bit. I work in the 50s on 6th, and may go down to the bridge across the west side hwy to the Intrepid to get a looksee and some photos. Bringing a Nikon D90, and hoping to get at least some ok shots. Still looking like 11:00am launch from FRG?

fk6065
2012-05-23, 10:12 AM
Good luck after 2 hours in traffic I gave up

Speedbird1
2012-05-24, 05:17 AM
The fly-by went on and the sun even came out for over an hour. It was a bit foggy as the Parade of Ships passed us. We waited by the Battery Park esplanade. Very friendly crowd.