PDA

View Full Version : DARPA HTV-2

Speedbird1
2012-04-25, 06:37 AM
I was amazed to learn that NASA has been testing a hypersonic glider, HTV-2. It flies at Mach 20 and could reach LA in 20 min. from NYC at 13,000 mph. Unfortunately, its skin peeled-off. Why has this research been kept secret? I thought there was no money for research, thus all spacecraft have been put on-hold.

moose135
2012-04-25, 06:50 AM
Why has this research been kept secret? I thought there was no money for research, thus all spacecraft have been put on-hold.
That's what they want you to think...

moose135
2012-04-25, 09:06 AM
And it isn't exactly a secret - the Washington Post had an article about the research project seven years ago.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A38272-2005Mar15

But I can understand why they would keep information about this type of project under a tight rein. No reason to blab the details about such advanced research to everyone.

Speedbird1
2012-04-25, 01:28 PM
I misspoke when I said the project was kept secret. A better way to put it was it's not being publicized. I brought it up since it was shown on TV news. They even showed an animation showing the skin peel-off. Glad we are still doing research into flight and beyond.

Matt Molnar
2012-04-25, 03:21 PM
I was amazed to learn that NASA has been testing a hypersonic glider, HTV-2. It flies at Mach 20 and could reach LA in 20 min. from NYC at 13,000 mph. Unfortunately, its skin peeled-off. Why has this research been kept secret? I thought there was no money for research, thus all spacecraft have been put on-hold.
It's not a NASA vehicle, and it's not for passengers. It's basically a super-fast missile, being developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). The Pentagon always has money for new weapons.